Boston Babies

Newton-Wellesley?

Hi all!

My hubby and I are ttc and live, quite literally, just down the street from Newton-Wellesley. I've been seeing an OBGYN at the hospital for a couple of years and am generally really happy with her. Our feeling, at the moment, is that we'd probably elect to deliver there. 

Wondering if any of you have, in fact, had your own kiddos at Newton-Wellesley or otherwise managed to form an opinion about the place? Like, for instance, were private rooms an option? How cooperative were staff to adhering to reasonable requests in birth plans? Did you feel at all pressured to accept medical interventions when you weren't quite ready for them? Was your healthy baby allowed to stay with you in the room? Was your spouse given a hard time if (s)he hoped to remain overnight? 

Certainly I plan to tour the delivery suite and inquire after staff, but I'm not sure they're in a position to paint as candid a picture as somebody who's been a patient at the hospital. Any feedback most certainly appreciated! 

- The Projected Progenitor (http://projectedprogenitor.wordpress.com/)

TTC#1, with male-factor IF, since 10/2009. Five failed IUIs, one failed IVF and IVF SUCCESS in October 2011. #1 expected June 2012! BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Newton-Wellesley?

• NWH is a baby making factory... haha. more than 60% of their patient population is OB, so they are very good at it. I know the Usen building is all private rooms, most husbands do spend the night. I don't know the answer to some of your questions, but almost every single one of my friends delivered there and had a great experience.

• As far as I know all rooms are private, partners may stay overnight and the babies may room in as long as they don't have any health concerns which would necessitate observation in the special care nursery.

Birth plans and interventions are going to vary depending on your practice's feelings and policies too.  The women I've worked with and known who have seen the midwives with Women's Health Associates had intervention free or mostly intervention free births.  Some of the midwives and L&D nurses used to work at the Birth Place at Wellesley (a private non-hospital affiliated birth center) before it closed a number of years ago.

DS1 6/07
    DS2 (born at home) 7/09
    DD1 (born at home) 1/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much! So helpful!

- The Projected Progenitor (http://projectedprogenitor.wordpress.com/)

TTC#1, with male-factor IF, since 10/2009. Five failed IUIs, one failed IVF and IVF SUCCESS in October 2011. #1 expected June 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • We live around the corner from NWH too.  My sister in law had her two boys there and our best friends had their baby there.  I want to take a tour too!
  • I'm delivering there next week so I'll write back then!
  • I'm so glad you asked this question!  I live in RI, and considering driving to NWH to deliver.  I can't wait to hear future responses.
    Clomid x 2 cycles ..... BFN. 6/08 Gonal F with TI- BFN. 7/08 Gonal F #2 - IUI 7/11, BFN. 9/22/08 IUI #2 and Accupuncture - Chemical Pregnancy. 11/08 IUI #3 with accupuncture - BFN. 12/08 IUI #4 BFN. 5/09 IVF #1 ER 7/6/09, ET 7/9/09 - BFN. FET 12/18/09 - BFN IVF #2 -ER 3/6, ET 3/9, OMG - BFP!!! Beta #1 3/22 -332, Beta #2 3/24 - 701, Beta #3 - 14,889 - 1st u/s - TWINS!! SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME!!! ***Why can't 88 million sperm and 3 eggs find each other in an organ the size of a pear??*** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins--not through strength but by perseverance. - H. Jackson Brown
  • I delivered at NW.  I will deliver my next baby there as well because I love my OB.  But, I know of lots of other people that have had way better experiences else where. 

The delivery rooms were nice, I think 8 out of 12 of them have jacuzzi tubs, which I never ever thought I would use, but it was AWESOME!  The nurses during delivery were OK, but were very "old school" in that they encouraged me to "rest" instead of walk around (I was told to "rest" at 2 pm- it wasn't like it was the middle of the night).  I loved my nurse during the time that I was actually pushing, but the nurse the shift before wasn't very friendly at all, so it made it a little awkward, since she was in the room the entire  time.   I didn't have a specific birth plan, so I just went along with what the nurses told me to do.

Once the baby was born, I was brought to a private room.  The rooms are all private and my husband was able to stay with me the entire time.  I had a horrible experience with a particular nurse, but all the other nurses were OK- nothing to complain or brag about.

My main concern was that I contracted a MRSA infection while a patient there.  Days after I was discharged, I was diagnosised (at the same time the reports came out of a high MRSA rate in NW).  I have since had 4 outbreaks of MRSA  :o(

My other concerns is that if anything ever happened with the baby, the baby would have to be shipped to another hospital in Boston.  There is no level 3 (I think it is called) nursery there.

But, as I mentioned, I will be delivering again at NW, because I don't want to switch OBs.

• They do have a special care nursery staffed with neonatologists here.

I had a repeat c-section so I cant comment on the L&D experience but my L&D nurse, anesthesiologist, scrub tech and newborn nurses were all amazing. 

All the rooms are private and mine is huge.  I have not had one nurse that I didn't like. Even the overnite nurses have been great!  Dr. Fox is the pedi and he's awesome.  I wish he were our regular pedi!

Parking is a pain but you can get a pass for $25 that is good for 5 days. 

If you have any specific questions please let me know!

• I delivered at NWH in December and loved the experience.  All of the nurses and doctors were fantastic and the rooms were large and private.  Unfortunately I was "chained" to the bed for my entire 24 hour labor and delivery for medical reasons so my lovely birth plan that included the jacuzzi tubs, walking, and yoga ball was out the window.  The staff was very open to whatever choices we went with regarding rooming in, feeding, pain management, etc.  I will definitely be going there for the next baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"