Baby Names
Options

Traditional Irish names. Suggestions/opinions please!

I had names for both a boy and a girl picked out, but now that I know it's a GIRL! I'm rethinking. It's not that I'm not still in love with Aodhamair Sin?ad, more that I want to make sure I'm not missing something I might love even more. So if anyone has suggestions, please share! I realize most people on this board don't have a lot of experience with trad Irish names, but you never know who knows what! Also, opinions on the names below would be appreciated :) Just as some background information, she will be raised bilingual (Irish/English) so she won't have crazy phonetic issues when learning to spell her name, haha. Also, she'll probably spend most of her childhood in the States and Ireland, but also plenty of time all around the world. 

Here are some of my other favourites:

Aoibheann (EE-vayn)

Easnadh (AHS- na) 

Eithne (in between EH-na and ET-na)

Niamh (NEE-uv) 

?rlaith (OR-la)

Maighr?ad (MUH- in between rid and ray-id)

Eachna (ECH-na)

Keep in mind these pronunciations are rough, it's hard to spell Irish words phonetically for English speakers! But it should give some idea. 

These are just a few off the top of my head, so if anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Also, I realize these are pretty far from the style most people here go for, but any kind of opinion or ideas on them are very much appreciated! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Traditional Irish names. Suggestions/opinions please!

• Options
    I love Aiobhanne.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Saoirse is a major favorite of mine. I know you didn't say it, but it is my favorite.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like Saoirse (Seer-sha). It means freedom.
  • Options
    i really like Siobhan. Have you considered that one?
  • Options
    Niamh is my favorite girls name, hands down!
  • Options
    From your list, I like ?rlaith and Naimh best. Actually, I like them all. I'm a sucker for traditional Irish names!
  • Options

The only Irish/Celtic/Welsh name on our list is Fiona...not even sure if that is the traditional way to spell it.  I also like Aoife and Keira (I guess Ciara is the traditional spelling).

How do you pronounce Aodhamair?

• Options
    imagefunnibaby:

The only Irish/Celtic/Welsh name on our list is Fiona...not even sure if that is the traditional way to spell it.  I also like Aoife and Keira (I guess Ciara is the traditional spelling).

It's pronounced (again, roughly, haha) AY-mer.

And yes, Ciara is the traditional spelling, but I think Keira's quite nice too. And that's the most traditional spelling of Fiona there is... it's not a very old name. Some Scottish author made it up in... the 1880s I believe? But I could be off by a few decades.  I think he was trying to create a feminine version of Fionn, although several female versions already existed in Irish, haha. I think it's a beautiful name, though!

• Options
    I am familiar with some of those names as I have researched Irish names myself.  I like Aoibheann, Niamh and Orlaith the best.  The Irish names I have on my current list are nowhere near as authentic as those, lol.  Nola and Briley
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    imagefeffy11:

Saoirse and Orlaith

How do you pronounce Aodhamair Sinead?

AY-mer SHIN-ade. That's pretty close anyway.

And Saoirse is a beautiful name, but it's not very traditional, and I'm big on really old names, haha. It's only been used since the 20s when Ireland got it's freedom. And it's literally the exact word for freedom in Irish. If we weren't an Irish-speaking family I'd probably consider it, but it'd be a bit strange for me to name my daughter Freedom, haha. A few of my American friends are encouraging Colleen, but it's the Irish word for girl (spelled cailin though). When I was little, I was very confused by girls named Colleen. They'd say "I'm Colleen" and I'd be like "well, yeah, but what's your name?" Haha, looking back I probably confused them too! 

• Options
    imagesweet1600s:
    imagefunnibaby:

And yes, Ciara is the traditional spelling, but I think Keira's quite nice too. And that's the most traditional spelling of Fiona there is... it's not a very old name. Some Scottish author made it up in... the 1880s I believe? But I could be off by a few decades.  I think he was trying to create a feminine version of Fionn, although several female versions already existed in Irish, haha. I think it's a beautiful name, though!

Thanks for being so patient with the lack of pronounciation knowledge.  Now that I know how to pronounce Aodhamair I really like it.

• Options
    imagesweet1600s:
    imagefeffy11:

Saoirse and Orlaith

How do you pronounce Aodhamair Sinead?

AY-mer SHIN-ade. That's pretty close anyway.

And Saoirse is a beautiful name, but it's not very traditional, and I'm big on really old names, haha. It's only been used since the 20s when Ireland got it's freedom. And it's literally the exact word for freedom in Irish. If we weren't an Irish-speaking family I'd probably consider it, but it'd be a bit strange for me to name my daughter Freedom, haha. A few of my American friends are encouraging Colleen, but it's the Irish word for girl (spelled cailin though). When I was little, I was very confused by girls named Colleen. They'd say "I'm Colleen" and I'd be like "well, yeah, but what's your name?" Haha, looking back I probably confused them too! 

That is really funny!  How strange that is... I never thought about those names literally meaning what they are in another language because, yeah, I think Freedom as a name is a little out there. Stick out tongue  But Saoirse is pretty!  Hehe

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

I will give you the name of some of my girl cousins who live in Ireland:

Saoirse, Dilse, Eire, Loretta, and Firinne.  I also like Roisin and Aoife.  I do like your original choice too.  My husband would love to name a daughter, if we ever had one, Sinead.

• Options
    what about Bridget
  • Options

I like those on your list and Aisling as well. I like Aoife but think, for me personally, perhaps a little too popular (or myabe jsut too popular in my family).

Also, as someone who was given the first name Colleen, I can honestly say that I always joke how my parents weren't very creative, naming me girl, and that it is a good thing I wasn't a boy! Seriously though, coming over to the US from Ireland, it was more about them being accepted, wanting me to be accepted as American, and to blend in using a more Americanized Irish name than something more traditional. Unlike how things are now, it was not always trendy or popular in the US to have an "exotic" Gaelic name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagefunnibaby:
    imagesweet1600s:
    imagefunnibaby:

Thanks for being so patient with the lack of pronounciation knowledge.  Now that I know how to pronounce Aodhamair I really like it.

Oh it's no problem! It's nice when people are genuinely curious and actually try to get it right. Usually when I'm in the States, people just stare at me like I'm an idiot when I introduce myself and then ask why I don't have a normal name, or why I don't go by a nickname. Um, excuse me for making up a different nickname that seems normal to people in every country I go to...? 

So thanks for taking the time to ask about the correct pronunciation. And thanks for liking Aodhamair! 

• Options
    imagecookieinva:

I like those on your list and Aisling as well. I like Aoife but think, for me personally, perhaps a little too popular (or myabe jsut too popular in my family).

Also, as someone who was given the first name Colleen, I can honestly say that I always joke how my parents weren't very creative, naming me girl, and that it is a good thing I wasn't a boy! Seriously though, coming over to the US from Ireland, it was more about them being accepted, wanting me to be accepted as American, and to blend in using a more Americanized Irish name than something more traditional. Unlike how things are now, it was not always trendy or popular in the US to have an "exotic" Gaelic name.

Aisling is very pretty, but it's a lot like Saoirse in that it's only been used as a name pretty recently, and it's an actual word for a specific type of poem, or sometimes dream, in which one describes or has a vision. So if we weren't Irish-speaking, I might use it, but since we are, it'd be kind of weird, haha.

That's funny, most of the girls I know named Colleen didn't even know what it means! My mother jokes about that as well. "What if they'd had a boy? Would he be Buachiall?" I think it's a pretty name, once you can disassociate it from the original word. It's just strange for me because I grew up speaking Irish.

I can understand the desire to be accepted in America, though. My mom's American, dad's Irish, they divorced when I was very young, mom lives in America and dad Ireland, so I grew up in between. And I now have both a perfect American accent and a perfect Irish accent, because I learned at a very young age that if you sound like the other kids, they won't make fun of you.

I also grew up with an "exotic" Irish name, but my father would never in a million years consider trying to be Americanized. He would shudder at the thought, haha. My name was kind of a pain when I was in the States(still is, actually) but it never occurred to me that my name was at fault, or that I could blame my parents for giving it to me, I just thought the people who didn't even try to spell or pronounce it properly were extremely rude. That was probably tempered by the fact that in Ireland, everyone can spell and pronounce it, though. 

• Options
    I like Aoibheann and Maighr?ad. I also llike Aoife, Caoimhe and Meadhbh (is that the right spelling?)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    Aoibheann (EE-vayn)
  • Options
    Also not on your list, but one we considered (if DS had been a girl) Ainsley...I don't know anything about the name though :)
  • Options
    I love both Nuala and Fionnuala.
  • Options
    imagesweet1600s:
    imagecookieinva:

Aisling is very pretty, but it's a lot like Saoirse in that it's only been used as a name pretty recently, and it's an actual word for a specific type of poem, or sometimes dream, in which one describes or has a vision. So if we weren't Irish-speaking, I might use it, but since we are, it'd be kind of weird, haha.

That's funny, most of the girls I know named Colleen didn't even know what it means! My mother jokes about that as well. "What if they'd had a boy? Would he be Buachiall?" I think it's a pretty name, once you can disassociate it from the original word. It's just strange for me because I grew up speaking Irish.

I can understand the desire to be accepted in America, though. My mom's American, dad's Irish, they divorced when I was very young, mom lives in America and dad Ireland, so I grew up in between. And I now have both a perfect American accent and a perfect Irish accent, because I learned at a very young age that if you sound like the other kids, they won't make fun of you.

I also grew up with an "exotic" Irish name, but my father would never in a million years consider trying to be Americanized. He would shudder at the thought, haha. My name was kind of a pain when I was in the States(still is, actually) but it never occurred to me that my name was at fault, or that I could blame my parents for giving it to me, I just thought the people who didn't even try to spell or pronounce it properly were extremely rude. That was probably tempered by the fact that in Ireland, everyone can spell and pronounce it, though. 

Now I want to know your name!

• Options
    imagesweet1600s:
    imagecookieinva:

Yes times have changed. When my aunt came over, for example, she actaully changed her name. She was originally Bridget Anges. When she got to the US, however, she quickly learned "Bridget" was more a deroggatory name for Irish working girls (all the wealthy families in the NE US had bridgets who cleaned their houses) and legally dropped the Bridget to become just Agnes. And today, Bridget is just a name Americans consider a pretty Irish girl's name- no bad connotations at all..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Two of my favorite Irish girls names are Ailish and Aleri - these may not be the traditional spellings.
  • Options
    I love all those names. I wanted to name our son Ronan but we were afraid people would have trouble pronouncing it so we went with Rowan instead. Turns out people can't pronounce that either!! Not to lump my whole country together but most Americans aren't very cultured on names and won't get it. Good luck!
  • Options
    JDOJDO member
    I like Orlaith, it reminds me of a character from a book that I liked. 
  • Options

I like the two in your siggy, I like ?rlaith, and I also like:

Afric

Bidelia

Cadhla

Darragan(although that may be made up, that's my friend's child's name, and she likes traditional Irish names)

Darcy

I like traditional names that are easier to pronounce and spell.

• Options

We know a Muireann, pronounced Marin -- which I don't think is the way it's supposed to be pronounced, but whatever works. I love the name Marin. I just looked up the meaning: sea-farer. Cool.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"