Houston Babies
Options

Failed my glucose test...aghh!

BY 4 POINTS! HELLO...

I dont even want to discuss the 3 hour thing...I barely made it through the 1 hr. How in the WORLD am I going to do this? And I have to do it next week...

Going to go sit in my office and cry....

Re: Failed my glucose test...aghh!

• Options
    Oh no!  Hugs to you! 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I failed my one hour too by just a few points and worried about the 3 hour. I was so worried about fasting and feeling dizzy, etc.

I will say that it was overall not as bad as I thought. I brought a book but found that talking to other people helped.Is there anyone who can go with you? I didn't have anyone, so I just talked to others in the waiting room. Maybe I looked crazy, but it was a nice distraction.

The first hour was the hardest. You get some dizziness from the drink. But I found that putting my head in between my knees helped. After that hour it was much easier.

I brought a PB&J so I could eat the second I took the last draw and that helped.

By the way, I passed the second. The lower your number is for the first one, the better chance you have of passing.

Good lcuk!

• Options
    I'm so sorry, TrishAggie. I know you're dreading the three hour but don't get too anxious. It will go quickly - bring a book or work, etc. to keep yourself busy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I failed the one hour by four pts too, but passed the 3.  What I didn't know is that you aren't suppose to fast for "too long".  I went from 7pm all the way until 9am when I did the test, and it can give false positives.  The 3 hour test, I had a small pb sandwich around 10pm and did my testing at 7am. 
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options

Yes, it does suck, but honestly it isn't that bad. I know how you feel though. I failed both tests by just a few points. After I failed the 3 hour, I was crying and so distraught that DH had to come home from work.  Looking back though, it was just a small blip of time during my pregnancy and wasn't that bad.  I survived it and my baby was just fine and not a huge baby. 

I don't want to scare you that you will not pass the 3 hour because lots of people fail the first and pass the second, but it may be helpful to prepare yourself.  I was so confident that I was going to pass the second and I didn't.  I think Lisa has good advice about the fasting. If you don't pass, the diet isn't that bad.  One plus is that I lost all my baby weight in less than a month after having DD because the diet helped to control my weight during pregnancy.

Good luck and hopefully you will have sucess with the next test!!

• Options
    imageprincessmah:

Yes, it does suck, but honestly it isn't that bad. I know how you feel though. I failed both tests by just a few points. After I failed the 3 hour, I was crying and so distraught that DH had to come home from work.  Looking back though, it was just a small blip of time during my pregnancy and wasn't that bad.  I survived it and my baby was just fine and not a huge baby. 

I don't want to scare you that you will not pass the 3 hour because lots of people fail the first and pass the second, but it may be helpful to prepare yourself.  I was so confident that I was going to pass the second and I didn't.  I think Lisa has good advice about the fasting. If you don't pass, the diet isn't that bad.  One plus is that I lost all my baby weight in less than a month after having DD because the diet helped to control my weight during pregnancy.

This!

Also, I was extremely anxious about both the 1-hr and 3-hr, because I had bad m/s and knew for sure the fasting and/or drink were going to make me sick.  They weren't that bad for me, it just tasted like a flat orange soda.  I took my iPod with me for the 3-hr and it helped relax me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I rented a good DVD movie and brought my laptop with me to watch, time went by really fast. 
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options
    I failed the 1 hour by just a couple of points..  I asked for a "re-do" and failed again :(  I passed the 3 hour..  I am a TOTAL needle phobe and did fine..  I brought my laptop and got some work done..  It's not that bad..  Hugs..
  • Options
    I'm so sorry...hugs to you.
  • Options

Thank you everyone!

I got all my orders today, and have to go some day next week, and get the test done.  When my phone rang and it was the Dr's office I was NOT excited at all.  In fact I called back and had the nurse have the doctor call me, because I wanted more information/answers. 

Thank you also for all the insight.  I wasn't sure I could eat anything between the different draws, just that I had to start out fasting.  Maybe drinking this stuff, getting my blood drawn and then eating will help.  Who knows.

My only other option was to not do the 3 hour and go on the special diet and do finger pricks 4 times a day.  Which it might come to that...who knows. I haven't gained but 10lbs, in fact I lost 2lbs from Feb to March.  I have been really good with my foods and eating right - or at least trying. We shall see next week...trying to go early in the week and just get it done.

• Options
    imageprincessmah:

Another double failure here who found that the diet was not so bad.

Hugs. I know you dread the test itself. I hope it passes quickly. 

• Options
    imagetrishaggie01:

Thank you everyone!

I got all my orders today, and have to go some day next week, and get the test done.  When my phone rang and it was the Dr's office I was NOT excited at all.  In fact I called back and had the nurse have the doctor call me, because I wanted more information/answers. 

Thank you also for all the insight.  I wasn't sure I could eat anything between the different draws, just that I had to start out fasting.  Maybe drinking this stuff, getting my blood drawn and then eating will help.  Who knows.

My only other option was to not do the 3 hour and go on the special diet and do finger pricks 4 times a day.  Which it might come to that...who knows. I haven't gained but 10lbs, in fact I lost 2lbs from Feb to March.  I have been really good with my foods and eating right - or at least trying. We shall see next week...trying to go early in the week and just get it done.

No, you can not eat between the blood draws. But take food with you so that you can eat the minute the last draw is done.

I totally dreaded the diet... but it really wasn't that bad. Depending on how good/bad your numbers are with the finger pricks, you might not have to change much, just limit the carbs. A lot of GDs can even still eat ice cream, you just have to eat protein with it (giving up ice cream was a BIG fear of mine, LOL!) Because of the diet I only gained 8lbs and had an 8lb 9oz baby at over 41wk - so DS wasn't overly large and I'm 15lbs under my pre-pg weight. And my diet had a LOT of calories on it so I was always full too.

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"