Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

BF- looking to supplement with formula

Hi ladies,

I've tried doing some research on this topic but feel like I'm not getting very good information.

I'm concerned about my supply (yes I know there are ways to increase it and yes I'm doing them) and wanted to supplement formula or at least have some on hand if I get in a bind. I literally have ZERO stash.

We just moved this past weekend and I think the irregular schedule and the stress might have something to do with it.

aaaanyway, I actually had to go from EBF to pumping because DS would bite me every time I tried to nurse.  I'd like to go with a safe and natural formula but no nothing about formulas.

I bought similac organic today and read review on amazon that say too much sugar and causes constipation...fail.

any recs?

TIA! 

Re: BF- looking to supplement with formula

• Options
    I've been researching also and I think the Nature's One is at the top of my list right now.  They have a really comprehensive website with a lot of good information.  I am kind of in the same boat right now, but I think I'm going to stick it out for now and keep pumping and try not to supplement.  I hope it works.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageblf722:
    I've been researching also and I think the Nature's One is at the top of my list right now.  They have a really comprehensive website with a lot of good information.  I am kind of in the same boat right now, but I think I'm going to stick it out for now and keep pumping and try not to supplement.  I hope it works.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

I'm going to try to not supplement as well, but I'm just paranoid that my supply will tank and I'll have nothing but purees to give him! I know it's not like I can't run to the store, but I'd rather know more about something instead of buying in a rush.

GL to you! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't have a suggestion - I just wanted to say I love your siggy and your LO is a cutiepie!  GL! 

Also I had great sucess with more milk plus special blend (it has fenugreek, blessed thissle, and goats rue).  Prior to that I was taking fenugreek pills and this worked much better.  (DS got really sick btw 8-9 months and my supply took a big nose dive)  I ordered mine on Amazon, but whole foods will order it for you too!

• Options
    imageBugLuv:

I don't have a suggestion - I just wanted to say I love your siggy and your LO is a cutiepie!  GL! 

Also I had great sucess with more milk plus special blend (it has fenugreek, blessed thissle, and goats rue).  Prior to that I was taking fenugreek pills and this worked much better.  (DS got really sick btw 8-9 months and my supply took a big nose dive)  I ordered mine on Amazon, but whole foods will order it for you too!

aw thanks :) All the pics are super old, I need to update it badly!

I will check that out on amazon, thank you! 

• Options
    What I did was bought the Enfamil Premium Lipil in the individual 4 oz. sticks.  That way if I need to supplement a feeding here or there I don't open a can and then it goes to waste if I don't use the whole thing within a month.
  • Options

imageSweetsunflower:
    What I did was bought the Enfamil Premium Lipil in the individual 4 oz. sticks.  That way if I need to supplement a feeding here or there I don't open a can and then it goes to waste if I don't use the whole thing within a month.

great tip! thank you!!! 

• Options

I am in the exact same boat ? I just bought a can of Earth's Best organic formula to leave at daycare in case whatever I pump everyday isn't enough. It really is a terrible feeling, not being able to pump enough and worrying that the baby might need more!  My supply isn't the issue, unfortunately it's my crappy pump that I'm no longer responding to, but it's not realistic for me to be buying a new one right now. 

It is nice to know that other moms are going through the same thing! 

• Options

I have a similar suggestion as a PP...we have had to supplement off and on and what worked best for us was the liquid ready to use formula from Similac. We haven't been able to use the powdered formulas because they are harder to digest and would give my LO bad gas. It comes in 8oz little bottles and larger quart size bottles. The little bottles you have to use within 48 hours of opening and the larger (I think) in 72 hours. Other brands have liquid formula also. If your LO seems extra gassy after starting the formula you might want to give the liquid a try. It is more expensive but so worth it instead of staying up all night as your baby wraiths in pain tooting!

Good luck!

• Options
    We had to switch from EBF to FF about a month ago and I use Similac Organic.  Ihave no other formula to compare it to, but DS seems to do okay on it, though I have been thinking of giving Earth's Best a try....
  • Options
    Thanks for posting this- I've reached the horrible stage where what I pump is less than what I send to daycare, so I'm watching the freezer stash go down down down.... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ugh so I just spent some time on Amazon looking at the reviews...

It looks like the big 3 for organic are:

Similac Organic (but that has a high amount of sugar, however it's cane sugar unlike other formulas which is often HFCS so that IS better, but not the best. Also causes constipation issues.  I think that's what we're having.  DS still poops daily, usually, but he seems like he's irritated and trying too hard most of the day, which makes me wonder if he's having an issue with this b/c we are currently using this formula)

Earth's Best: Good ingredients, sugar is from lactose, however they source from Horizon milk which is headed by the Dean company which may or may not have truly the best organic practices, etc.  I don't like that, but I do like that a lot of the reviews like this formula.  Another downside is the DHA that's added to it (and I guess all formulas, so the similac one too) the way it's processed or something is toxic.  That really freaks me out. 

Baby's Only: (Which we actually have a can of and bought from Whole Foods, but DS has never actually taken it.  We tried this first when trying to get him to take a bottle to no avail, but he refused both this and the Similac organic at the time) This uses brown rice syrup as it's sugar source which says it's harder to digest than lactose... however, they claim that their % of lactose is closer to breast milk which makes it most like breast milk and easier for the baby to deal with the milk part.  That's interesting to me! There is also no DHA in it (don't like that either, but I guess that's better than toxins?) but I guess they have a DHA supplement you can add? (Does that mean their supplement is safe or no?)  This is also called a toddler formula, but I *think* that is only b/c they really want to promote BF for infancy and really, what toddler drinks formula anyway so that doesn't make practical sense...just political.  

So now I am completely confused.  I can't find my can of Baby's Only, but I am definitely thinking of switching from Similac to EB or BO, just not sure which I feel more comfortable with.  

HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"