Breastfeeding
Options

Only eating from one side for a feeding?

This LO only eats from one side for each feeding. I always offer the other side but she isn't interested. I can't remember what LO #1 did this early but I am stressing about my supply decreasing from going 4+ hours between feedings on each side. 
Any wise thoughts or advice? :-)

Re: Only eating from one side for a feeding?

• Options
    My son has always done the same thing. It has not caused any problems. My supply is great. My lactation consultant said that it is no problem that he refuses the other breast. The important thing is that he is getting hindmilk from the first breast.
    Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
  • Options
    I've had mega-supply so far with #2. She's just now at 3 weeks starting to take the 2nd side sometimes.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD is the same way.  I do not seem to have a problem with my supply either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Options

I was feeding from both sides but the LC I saw when DS was 6 weeks told me that I should only feed from one side unless he had nurse for longer than 30 minutes. She said it has to do with DS getting enough hindmilk. I don't know if that is for all LO's or just mine.

• Options
    My LO only does one side.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! This makes me feel better!!
  • Options

my DS does that sometimes, i don't switch him over to the other side until he empties the first breast, and he often is too full to nurse from the other. Then to relieve engorgement and discomfort, i pump (but only if he nursed really well and would probably sleep for 2-3 hours. If he was 'snacking', i skip pumping, because he will most likely be nursing in an hour or so from the other side).

to pump, i use manual Avent ISIS pump, very effiecient, easy to clean and use - i get 3-5 oz from that other breast in 5-7 min

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"