High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anyone on nifedipine?

Back story: ?At 26 weeks I went to the hospital for pelvic pressure. ?Turned out I was having contractions ranging every 3-7 minutes, dilated 1cm w/ funneling & cervical length of 1.7. ?I was on meds for 2 days & monitored for 1 & sent home. ?Still had contractions but no more than 1 an hour. ?Few days later at 27 weeks I went back to the hospital because they were up to 6 an hour (8 an hour by the time I got to the hospital). ?Luckily I didn't dilate anymore & my cervix is the same. ?After another 3 nights I'm home on nifedipine.

So my question is, do you still get contractions & how often? ?I thought they would have stopped with all these meds. ?How do you feel on it? ?I have mild headaches but that's about it.?

Re: Anyone on nifedipine?

• Options
    i'm on it and took it when i was pg with ds too. no real side effects for me except for the flushing of my legs/feet about 20min after i take it. i still contract on it but i get fewer. i have an irritable uterus so it depends on a number of factors. on a typical day i contract 3-8 times an hour. if i have too much in my bladder or overexert myself, etc, i easily get contractions every 2-3min.
  • Options
    Oh wow! ?You get a lot. ?They told me to come back in if they're more than 4 or 5 an hour. ?Are you on BR in the hospital? ?If not how do you know if you need to get checked out when you get them so often?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been on Nifedipine for almost 10 weeks now! In the beginning I would have massive headaches, but after taking it for so long those have gone away. I was first on 10mg and still contracting the same amount so they moved me up to 20mg. Im still contracting on that as well and I have been doing pretty well until this past week, it seems like it just totally stopped working for me, my contractions are now more painful and more consistent! 
  • Options
    I am on nifedipene - 20 mg 4x a day.   I never had any contractions, do get mild headaches.  
  • Options

imageDorothyandMatt:
    Oh wow!  You get a lot.  They told me to come back in if they're more than 4 or 5 an hour.  Are you on BR in the hospital?  If not how do you know if you need to get checked out when you get them so often?

i'm not on bedrest at all actually. i contract a lot but with this pg my cervix hasn't changed (i credit the 17p shots) so i have no restrictions. with ds i contracted and had cervical changes no matter which meds they gave me or how limited my activity. i get weekly internals, with ds they started at 24wk when we realized i was contracting. this pg they started around 18wk.

honestly dh and i are pretty laid about back them. we know all the tricks to get my irritable uterus quieted down by now and have only ended up in L&D once this pg.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"