Attachment Parenting
Options

Anyone's toddler have night terrors?

The kind where they don't wake up but look awake and can't get out of it? It's very frightening and happened again this week. I bring her into bed with us but she hates it there and isn't fully awake so when we move her she gets really upset when she does wake up.

My brother had these and I didn't so I'm not sure what to do but hearing screaming like that at 2 am is unsettling. I know they recommend not waking her but she's just completely inconsolable until she pops out of it.

Anyone? anyone?

image Josephine is 4.

Re: Anyone's toddler have night terrors?

• Options
    yes and he's a sleep walker too. Most of the time he has a terror he'll come walking & crying into our room still asleep, he'll wake up when we pick him up to put in the bed and we'll cuddle with him and calm him down. Our doctor said that right now not to do anything-most toddlers grow out of it and just make sure he goes to sleep in a safe enviroment every night. Since he's had them he doesnt go off to Grandmoms over night anymore. We clean his room every night to make sure he doesnt trip over something. Before bed he has a shower with one of us and either milk or a glass of water, then a story and bed. I don't know if its helped or he's gorwing out of it but we've only had 3 or 4 episodes this months.
  • Options

imagejescgrl:
    yes and he's a sleep walker too. Most of the time he has a terror he'll come walking & crying into our room still asleep, he'll wake up when we pick him up to put in the bed and we'll cuddle with him and calm him down. Our doctor said that right now not to do anything-most toddlers grow out of it and just make sure he goes to sleep in a safe enviroment every night. Since he's had them he doesnt go off to Grandmoms over night anymore. We clean his room every night to make sure he doesnt trip over something. Before bed he has a shower with one of us and either milk or a glass of water, then a story and bed. I don't know if its helped or he's gorwing out of it but we've only had 3 or 4 episodes this months.

We're clearing her room as well and I notice she gets them if she skips a nap or is put down too late, so I'm more careful about ensuring that she gets to bed on time. And I still have my monitor on because I'm super paranoid. So I wake if she so much as rolls over. I'm just really freaked out when she's glassy eyed and seeing something that isn't there.

Poor thing just doesn't seem to be the best sleeper.

image Josephine is 4.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS would have them occassionally- he hasn't had one in quite some time though. I wish I had some great tip for what helped, but we just kind of had to ride out the storm. :( They're no fun, that's for sure.
  • Options
    We had them with Jack. It was awful. Wake em don't wake em. It was awful. I hope this passes quickly for you.
  • Options
    That is great info! Thank you so much!
    image Josephine is 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"