D.C. Area Babies
Options

Anyone have a 6 week U/S?

Had my first appt. today and for two reasons the doc ordered an ultrasound, 1) I've had spotting - not bad at all, just not the case with my other two and 2) I have had zero m/s, again, with my other two I had it pretty badly by now.

I'm not freaking out or anything, but I did manage to get an U/S appt. for tomorrow morning, so that my mind doesn't start doing crazy things.

I'm Googling to see if there is even a heartbeat to see or hear at six weeks, and it looks like it could go either way.  Now I'll be up all night hoping to see/hear a heart beat!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.

Re: Anyone have a 6 week U/S?

• Options
    Yes, you can see the heart beat.  I can't remember if you can hear it or not.  Sorry!
  • Options
     I did- that was my first appt and my doctor had the machine in his office. I did not hear a heartbeat. I think the doctor saw a little flash of something that he said was a heartbeat but I could not see anything....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did, but my OBs office had a machine and he used it at every visit so I am probably not being helpful.  Based on what you said, this sounds like just a quick check to verify everything is all right. It's amazing btw how developed the little ones are even at that age.
  • Options

I had one at (just under) 7 weeks after spotting and we heard a heartbeat. I wasn't expecting it b/c I'd read online that it could go both ways, especially if you're not sure of the point of ovulation, GA, etc. 

Happy thoughts for tomorrow!! :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We did and we saw (but didn't hear) the heart beat. Good luck!
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I had one because it was my first visit and they wanted to date it (date of last period was not accurate for me and since it was not planned I was not 100% on date of conception).  I also had one with #1 just because they had an U/S machine right there so they checked.  With both I had no h/b at that point but they can measure the sac and get an estimate of how far along you are.  Both times they had me come back in 2 weeks for a check to see the h/b. 

ETA:  You had m/s at 6 weeks the last 2 times?  You poor woman.  Mine at least held off to 8-10 weeks.

• Options

I was just barely 10 weeks when I had my first U/S and it honestly looked like a baby already with limbs and everything.  Heartrate was very visable.  The baby was jumping around like a mexican jumping bean. 

I hope all is well. Good Luck.  Stick baby stick!

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagetracy042206:

ETA:  You had m/s at 6 weeks the last 2 times?  You poor woman.  Mine at least held off to 8-10 weeks.

Yeah, mine started at around 5 weeks and went to about 11-12 weeks.  I had the "all day long" kind.  But I'm not complaining, a little Reglan helped when I was pg with #2 and I was grateful that it didn't last the whole pregnancy!

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options

i don't think you can hear it but you can see it - at that point they do intrauterine obviously...and you'll want a full bladder.

also, with both of my pregnancies i had zero symptoms except for sore boobs the first time until like 8 or 10 weeks.

congrats, btw!!! 

• Options
    I've also heard either way for a heart beat.  It seems like people that get the u/s later in week 6 are more likely to see one than people that go early in the week.  At least, that's my experience with reading the October board.
  • Options
    Maybe the difference in symptoms means it will be a boy????? Good luck tomorrow!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had one with both Ian and this pregnancy (I have a history of m/c).  I remember that I had one at 6w2d with this pregnancy and the heartbeat was 111 (it has been in the 150s since).  The heart starts beating at 6 weeks so typically it will be pretty slow because it is just starting up, or if you are off by even a day or two you could be too early to see a hb and you will just see the fetal pole.

good luck!!

Lauren,
    Mackenzie Beth 10.26.05 Ian James 08.09.08 Rhys Edward 07.05.10 William Brendan 04.17.12
  • Options
    If you're at all under 6 weeks, you may not see a heartbeat.  Even at 6 weeks, you may not, which is still perfectly fine.  I had an u/s at just over 5, just over 6, and just over 7 or 8 -- I can't remember.  First time no HB, second time slow HB (in the 80s or 90s most likely because her heart had just started), third time -- perfect HB.  That early on, it's kind of a gamble. 
  • Options

good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. Please let us know how it goes!

I had to have a dating U/S w/ this one b/c I never got my period back after having DD. It turned out I was 7w6d at that point. As others said, you will most likely see, but not hear, the hb.  For mine, I had to drink 32oz of water 45mins before the U/S and not pee. They did the external U/S 1st, I peed, and then they did the internal (and it felt like the U/S penis-looking-thing was pressed on my bladder the whole time).

I'm thinking a boy for you and an easier pregnancy:)

• Options
    i had one at 6w5d bc of a previous mc, we saw it but did not hear it....good luck
  • Options

Just to chime in - yes, I had one at 6 weeks and a few days (can't remember exactly) - we saw the heartbeat, but couldn't hear it. 

However, it's not cause for alarm if they can't see it - if your due date is off even by a day that could make the difference - they'll just have you come back in about a week to re-check...

• Options

Well, I'll just chime in too with good wishes! I had a u/s at 6w5d weeks due to spotting and we did see the heartbeat, didn't hear it. I also had zero morning sickness.

Sending good thoughts you way tomorrow (and hoping you get at least a little sleep tonight with your anticipation)!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a six week one since I got pregnant right after my m/c and we needed to verify dates.  The baby was then nicknamed BabyBlob since that is what you see.  There is a heartbeat, but not even a defined head.  It's still really cool to see.
  • Options

Yep, we did at 6 or 7 weeks for dating b/c I had irregular cycles and because I'm higher risk.  We could see the heartbeat on u/s but we didn't hear it...not sure if that's b/c they didn't have volume on or up though haha.  You can't pick up fetal heart tones till about 9ish weeks (you might know that already though considering :) 

Good luck!  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had one with both of my pg because I was seeing an RE and they wanted to do a hb check before releasing me back to my OB.  We saw it both times, but didn't hear anything.  Best of luck to you tomorrow and hope your m/s stays away. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • Options
    If you really are 6 weeks, it's possible to see the hb.  If you are even a few days earlier than that, you will likely not see it, and need a follow up u/s a few weeks later. 
  • Options

I had an u/s at 6 weeks, we saw the heartbeat! Had another at 8 weeks and saw it again.

Hope your apt goes well:-)

• Options
    I did have one at exactly 6 weeks and saw a h/b flicker but as others have said, even a couple of days makes a difference at this point. Good luck and please keep us posted!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"