Washington Babies
Options

Bottle feeding question

Should I burp DS when he falls asleep during his bottle?  Most of the time it  is nap time or bedtime when he falls asleep while feeding.  If I burb him it will wake him up, and then he is wide awake. Should I burp him or let it go?

Thanks!

Re: Bottle feeding question

• Options
    How old is he?
  • Options
    I never bothered to burp DD if she fell asleep at the end of the feeding. I think it depends on the kid though. Some babies have horrible gas issues and it would be worth it to wake them up and avoid dealing with an unhappy baby later. If your little guy seems to be ok, I would just let him sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that it depends on how well your child tolerates feedings.  Jillian was very gassy and spit-up a lot during her entire first year.  So I would burp religiously and frequently regardless of whether or not she was sleeping.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

• Options

He is 3 months old.   Sometimes he has horrible gas and other days nothing at all. If he is having a bad gas day I burp him no matter what, I was just wondering what other Moms do.

• Options
    I never would wake him up to burp him...but if gas was a problem I'd stop midway through the bottle and try to get a burp then...seems like a compromise. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagegreenmtbride:
    I never would wake him up to burp him...but if gas was a problem I'd stop midway through the bottle and try to get a burp then...seems like a compromise. 

yup - this. 

• Options
    If he has bad gas sometimes, I understand not really wanting to not go without burping. DD does fall asleep sometimes at the end of a bottle. She is at the point though that she does fine without burping. Maybe instead of patting him to burp, what if you just kind of rubbed his back in circular motions to see if it works itself out? Then hopefully you won't disturb him too much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"