Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Anyone's LO not really have two-word sentences at 2 years?

DS will be 2 in a month.  Every once and awhile (like a few times a week) he says a basic two word sentence like "Bye Bye Daddy" when DH leaves for work or "Kitty night-night" when he sees the cat sleeping.  He also particularly likes "Baby bye bye" when he doesn't want me holding the baby anymore.  HaHa.

He's always been on the slower side of language development but has met the milestones.  The two-word sentence milestone at 2 years is quickly approaching and he just seems to be taking forever to start speaking in sentences.  He has tons of words and talks and communicates with us all day.  He understands 90% of what we tell him.

Did anyone else's LO not really have 2 word sentences at 2 years and just develop them later or did you need to do some sort of speach therapy?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Anyone's LO not really have two-word sentences at 2 years?

• Options

My DS didn't have ANY words at 2, but now after a couple months of ST, he is starting to make huge strides. He is imitating more and initiating some and does have a few 2-word phrases (hi, kitty, etc.). I'm very excited! I'm not entirely sure ST was the only solution for us--he might have just been a late bloomer. But with no words, I wasn't willing to wait any longer.

Honestly, it sounds like your DS is probably fine given that he has many words and a few phrases. If you are really worried, I'd talk to your pediatrician. The speech guidelines are just that and if he continues to make forward progress, it may just be that he is a little later than most, but still within normal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

but, you said he is putting 2 words together.  right?   Sure it's not all the time, but he's doing it.   maybe when he uses one word... like "juice" for requesting it say. "I want juice." or "juice, please." form a sentence for him.  But honestly... he sounds fine. they develop SO much between about 20 and 26 months.  ds wasn't talking a ton at his second birthday.... and now he's forming full sentences and using "me" "you" "I"  

talk to your pedi at his 2 year appointment. but I wouldn't stress over it.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine didn't really and the doc wasn't concerned at all. He is just now starting to have small sentences... don't stress!
  • Options

I know it's easy to worry.  You could ask your Pedi about it at your 2 yr visit.  I think that sounds pretty normal for 23 months.  

My DS wasn't saying 2 word sentences at 2 years.  He could say one word and repeat 2 words if you said them slowly to him.  He had a language explosion at 2 yrs 4 months.  Now he can say 4 and 5 word sentences at almost 2.5 years old.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Aiden 10.17.07 Emma 07.15.10
  • Options

my DS is 27 months (today!) and he still doesn't have 2 word sentences.  He says a lot of one word stuff and is a parrot but he isn't a talker.  For instance, when he wants to go outside, he says, "shoes, jacket".  Now, he says "sandbox" (but takes me a while to realize what he's saying).

Actually, the most he talks to is the dog...lol.  He tells him "No, Oreo" and "Move, Oreo".  That's it. 

• Options
    At exactly 2, Mikey was barely putting 2 words together. About 2 weeks after he turned 2 his daycare was having free speech evals so I signed the papers for them to evaluate him. They came back and said that he's the only one in his class that needed therapy. When I tried calling the company that did the evals they NEVER returned my call. Well soon after that his speech EXPLODED! I think some kids just don't explode until a little after 2, I'd give it some more time as long as your DS is able to communicate with you, that's a good sign that everything is ok.
  • Options

My DS turned 2 yesterday and has less than 10 words total, so definitely no sentences yet. I've noticed an increased effort to try new words within the last week or two (yay!), but he has a speech assessment in two weeks, and we'll go from there. In your case I wouldnt be too worried yet. If he's already done it a couple times, I'm sure it'll come soon enough.??

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

One of my girls didn't have any two-word sentences and my other one used them very sparingly at the age of 2.  A couple months later they both had huge language explosions and haven't shut up since.  =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"