Stay at Home Moms
Options

SAHM wardrobes

Excuse the silly question, but in a few months I am going to be transitioning from working full-time to SAH.

Right now my wardrobe is mostly work clothes. Most of my pants are long to fit heels, a lot of tailored button-ups, etc -- stuff I definitely can't chase a toddler around in. I also have a lot of sloppy "around the house" clothes like yoga pants/casual tshirts....but it seems like very little in between.

What do you tend to wear? What are your staples? We will be on the go a lot, so I want comfy, but I want to look totally pulled together. I won't be comfortable running around in yoga pants. Where do you find really cute flats?

This question sounds pretty ridiculous typed out....but I'll still go ahead and post it.... if anybody has any input, I would appreciate it.

Re: SAHM wardrobes

• Options
    I wear jeans and shirts that are a step up from t-shirt but not fancy enough to wear to an office job. If that makes any sense.
    imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I definitely do get up and shower every day and put make up on.  Well...almost every day Stick out tongue  I usually wear jeans and either converse low tops or running shoes - horrible nursing tops (still working the boobs...I hate the clothing associated w/ nursing!).  Some sort of fleece jacket/hoodie/puffy vest.  Basically my old casual weekend gear.  I love not having to dress up anymore.  lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In the fall/winter I wore jeans and sweaters with boots or flats. 

spring and summer I live in capris, shorts and dresses/skirts with sandals or flip flops. I know flip flops are the best shoes ever, but I love the ease of kicking them off when coming in and out of the house.

I'm like you and want to look put together even if I am not going anywhere for the day.  

• Options

Almost my entire wardrobe is from Ann Taylor Loft and all mix and match pieces. Makes getting up and dressed every day super easy!

Fitted jeans, tops, cardigans, etc. I have a pair of 'nice' white leather NB sneakers, a pair of kitten heel black pumps and a few pair of Gap flats. I also love my 'lounge' around clothes that also match. Yoga pants with matching jacket and top. 

I keep my 'gym' sneakers (running shoes) and workout clothes, etc. out of my SAHM wardrobe. They stay strictly for working out/running.

• Options
    I wear jeans and solid-colored short sleeve shirts pretty much year-round.  If it's cool, I simply add a sweater or cardigan over the top.  If I want to look "pulled together", I add make-up and maybe a necklace (with a magnetic clasp, so it doesn't break when Miles pulls on it), and I do my hair.  Otherwise, I toss my hair into a headband (it's really short, so that's all it really needs), grab a sweatshirt, and go.  Honestly, I put more thought into Miles' outfit every day than I do my own. lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just wear jeans and I go to Old Navy for my shirts, I usually just get the casual v-neck shirts, or pretty much all of their shirts are pretty casual, I just like the v-necks because I wear a lacey cami underneath for the "layered" look. I got my cute flats from Kohl's.
  • Options
    Honestly it depends on the day.  If I'm not going anywhere, I'm in yoga pants/t-shirts after my shower.  If I'm going out, I'm all about dressing for the event so it really just depends on where I'm going and what I'm going to do.  I tend to lean toward the casual side though if I'm bringing the boys.  I'm all for looking cute and trendy, but when you're chasing 2 toddlers, that isn't always the safest thing to wear!
  • Options
    I get spit up on 2893895 times a day so I mostly wear yoga or gaucho pants and tanks or t-shirts. If I'm leaving the house it's jeans and a nicer shirt.  I usually just go for cute shoes and accessories to make my plain jeans and tees look cute, LOL.
  • Options

We go out every day, so I definitely "get dressed" but on make-up, et. every day.

I wear nice jeans, flats (I am obsessed with Tory Burch flats now - so lovely), semi-nice tops (no t-shirts, I am not a fan). Yesterday for example I wore some skinny jeans, silver ballet flats, a long ruffle tank top and a cardigan. That is pretty typical for me.

Summer I wear mostly skirts and sundresses with sandals/nicer flip flops (my J Crew metallics were my favorites last summer)

I had to have all my pants re-hemmed post DS. Before him I was queen of heels - I even wore 4 inch heels all day the day before I delievered. I miss them :(

Anyway, I go for comfort but also pulled together.I like Banana Republic, J Crew, Anthropologie, H&M for a  lot of my stuff, with Gap for basics.

• Options

In the cold months I wear jeans and a comfy, but fitted top.  My clothes are mostly from Ann Taylor Loft or Eddie Bauer.  I usually wear running shoes under my jeans a pair of boots(snow days).

In the summer I usually wear capris, shorts that are bermuda length, skirts, comfy dresses with sandals.

• Options
    I wear pretty much the same as everyone else. I would just add that DSW has really cute flats right now. Or check out Marshalls/Homegoods. I just saw a few cut pairs the other day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was just thinking about this but I feel like a scuzz after reading the replies...I live in PJ pants and tanks- if i go out I throw on jeans but at home- eh...I'm lucky to shower before my husband gets home...
  • Options

If we aren't going anywhere, I stay in my sweats!  I shower at night so at least I am clean :)

When we go out, I wear jeans and non-t-shirt tops (a little dressier, I guess - I don't like plain cotton t-shirts)  I think I am in the minority with the shoes, because I wear heels.  I'm really short (under 5 feet) and I refuse to wear pumps when I could be a little taller in heels!

• Options
    I'm not a big jeans wearer so I typically am in khakis or other chinos to go out and about.  I pair them with nice tees or sweaters.  I also love leggings and tunics- so comfy!  When it gets warmer I like to wear skirts and sundresses or capris.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i like my yoga pants with longer t-shirts/long sleeve t's and sweat shirts.   jeans, sweaters, turtlenecks, shorts, skorts.   i wear a lot of birkenstock style slip on shoes.  slip on boots and penny loafers (note the theme of slip on shoes--so much easier and faster when finally ready to go after 20 minutes of getting 2 kids ready!).   anything comfy that can get dirty etc.
  • Options

Do you wear your suits and heels on the weekends too? Wear what you wear on the weekends or evenings after work or on vacation lol (I'm not laughing at you, I just think this is an over-thinking moment here)

I mean, my wardrobe is professional but I do have casual clothing too because on weekends I did not wear professional wear with heels. I bought my flats the same place I bought my heels. 

My comfort level will not be the same as your comfort level. IE: I enjoy wearing more of a business casual every day look. Some moms feel more comfortable in sweats or just tees and jeans.

• Options

I had a closet full of suits, so I understand your question!

I just bought a ton of stuff...also in an effort to keep myself motivated to shower and put on makeup and do my hair each day, so I still look cute!

- cargo capris in khaki and olive, cropped pants in khaki and black, wide leg denim capris, a couple of pairs of dark wash jeans that I can dress up or down

- various types of tops in colors I love -- most of these are the type with a band around the hips and looser in the tummy plus shapewear camis in lots of colors (they're normal fabric on top and bottom, but have a spandex middle to help smooth your tummy -- Target carries them now if you don't want to buy the $60-70 ones from Macy's)

- some tissue-type long sleeve shirts to layer under the short sleeve tops, a couple of cardigans I love, and a cute blazer and jean jacket to throw over an outfit

- several dresses -- easy to dress up or down and very quick and comfy!

- flip flops, a pair of black sandals and a pair of metallic sandals, running shoes, boots, several pairs of flats, and a couple of pairs of heels

I kept a few of my dressy tops for going out to pair with jeans or black pants, a couple of suits, and anything I might wear to church...and got rid of everything else...including shoes!

• Options

I think I may be odd man out here.

I wear sweats every.single.day around the house.  I put on make up before I leave and wear jeans and a hoodie/jacket/fleece or normal looking shirt (gap, old navy, etc.).  If we are going someplace other than Target or the playground, I wear a nicer top.  I don't wear skirts (at all) or dresses that are not to the ground since DD's been older than 8-9 months.  You have to bend over all of the time once they are crawling and I'm simply unable to perform that skill in a skirt.  Even now, there is a good chance DD will throw herself on the floor at Target, so a skirt/dress isn't going to work for me. 

I don't wear my sweats to Target (I will once I'm pregnant again) but I'm not wearing nearly as nice of clothes as these other ladies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I also have a bunch of nice work clothes sitting in my closet gathering dust!

To stay at home, I wear mostly jeans and some sort of shirt. If we are just staying in I'll wear a t-shirt, maybe a step up from that if we are going out.

I live for the most part in sneakers, and I'm sure that will switch to flip flops when the weather is nicer! 

• Options
    Generally I am very casual- totally opposite of the suits and stilettos I used to wear when I was working.  Anyhow... jeans, fitted T-shirts, Juicy pants, fitted zip up hoodies, leggings... I don't think I would necessarily call myself "totally pulled together" but I try my best to look my best with what is practical for me to wear as SAH.  After all, I clean, cook, and run around after my son all day long.  As far as shoes go I generally wear slippers around the house and to go out I usually wear tennis shoes (Kitson & L.A.M.B), UGGS in the winter, or cute sandals in the summer.  I never pay full price for shoes and usually find the cutest ones at either TJ Max, Nordstrom Rack, Marshall's...  I am also super blessed to have a 9 West Outlet within a mile of my house so I stop in there every once in a while for great deals.
  • Options
    imageLuckySunshineBaby:

I wear sweats every.single.day around the house.  I put on make up before I leave and wear jeans and a hoodie/jacket/fleece or normal looking shirt (gap, old navy, etc.).  If we are going someplace other than Target or the playground, I wear a nicer top.  I don't wear skirts (at all) or dresses that are not to the ground since DD's been older than 8-9 months.  You have to bend over all of the time once they are crawling and I'm simply unable to perform that skill in a skirt.  Even now, there is a good chance DD will throw herself on the floor at Target, so a skirt/dress isn't going to work for me. 

I don't wear my sweats to Target (I will once I'm pregnant again) but I'm not wearing nearly as nice of clothes as these other ladies:)

I'm with you!  I wear yoga pants, sweat pants, capris, etc. Every single day.  If we're going out somewhere, I'll put on jeans,  but as soon as I'm home, it's back into my sweats.  I'm usually crawling around on the floor or cleaning the house all day, I don't want to wear my nice jeans and a nice top to do that!  Plus, on the weekends we have so many things going on between the sports we play and taking DS swimming or something, we're usually wearing our sports wear which consists of sweats, shorts, tanks or ts, etc.  Today, I'm meeting up with a friend and her two girls for a playdate.  I'm throwing on some workout capris, tank top and a long sleeve top some flip flops and out the door I'll go.  

• Options

imagejenifairies:
    I wear jeans and shirts that are a step up from t-shirt but not fancy enough to wear to an office job. If that makes any sense.

Same here.  I need to feel a little more dressed-up than if I just wore sweats.  I really can't stand shopping in stores, but go to these sites for cute flats:

www.bodenusa.com

www.garnethill.com

www.zappos.com

And good old JCrew online.  A lot of times (all the time with Zappos), you can get free shipping and returns, so there's really no downside.

• Options
    imageLuckySunshineBaby:

This is me too. I put make up on at some point of the day even if I'm not leaving (but usually that consists of powder and mascara at 2pm) and sometimes wear jeans if someone is stopping by. Otherwise, its sweat pants and tshirts here. 

• Options

Thanks ya'll! The vast majority of you gave really helpful ideas. I appreciate the input! Looks like I'll need to do some shopping this summer Wink

• Options
    imagejacksjerseygirl:

Do you wear your suits and heels on the weekends too? Wear what you wear on the weekends or evenings after work or on vacation lol (I'm not laughing at you, I just think this is an over-thinking moment here)

I mean, my wardrobe is professional but I do have casual clothing too because on weekends I did not wear professional wear with heels. I bought my flats the same place I bought my heels. 

My comfort level will not be the same as your comfort level. IE: I enjoy wearing more of a business casual every day look. Some moms feel more comfortable in sweats or just tees and jeans.

Well, I'm a resident. I work a freaking ton. I have a lot of professional clothes, sloppy/workout clothes like I mentioned above, and a bunch of scrubs. I'm usually in one of those categories. Sure I have some cute jeans and tops and a few casual dresses, but between working 80 hrs/week for the past 4 years, pregnancy, and a year of nursing, I haven't really bought any new cute/casual/non-work/non-nursing/non-maternity clothes in quite a while. Hence my wanting some input before I start buying for next year.

I like your blog, FYI, esp the home cleaning recipes. Very cool. We are transitioning to a green household too.

• Options

imageabba916:
    I was just thinking about this but I feel like a scuzz after reading the replies...I live in PJ pants and tanks- if i go out I throw on jeans but at home- eh...I'm lucky to shower before my husband gets home...

You are not a scuzz!! I was the same way when DD was just a few months old. Once you get into a good routine you have time to dress and shower and even brush your teeth everyday!! :)  

• Options

I wear jeans, cords or pants. My jeans are high-end, but that's because they make me look slimmer than I am, and they look more "pulled together". I wear feminine tops - tshirts, sweater sets, etc.

I wear flats, wedges or "stylish" sneakers (in other words sneakers only for decor, not for exercise AT ALL).

I find lots of flats at Loehmann's and Century 21 - those are my go-to places for shoes. I also have great luck at Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Jeans and long sleeve cotton shirts, with sneakers mostly.  If we are going somewhere, I'll wear a sweater and nicer shoes with jeans. 

In the warmer weather, I'll wear cotton short sleeved shirts with jeans and once summer gets here, I'll wear shorts or cotton/denim knee length skirts.

• Options

Oh I empathize!  I went through the same thing when I transitioned home, too.  Sure, I had weekend clothes, but not enough.  I do really well with Ann Taylor Loft and Gap.  And both have great lounge-wear lines.

I am also into the t-shirts from Boden--cute and good quality.  (use code MN20 for 20% off)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    I'm in casual dresses many days, either that or jeans and a t-shirt or short-sleeve shirt that's still casual but cute.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

Jeans & t-shirt when I go out. When I'm at home, I tend to wear PJs or workout clothes. Sports bra, comfy shirt, shorts/workout pants.

I'm all about comfort first, style second. I work a physically demanding job! Smile

• Options

imagejenifairies:

I wear the same type of outfits.  I try and pair it with cute flats if we're going out, or I wear sneakers if we're taking a walk, going to the park, etc. 

• Options

70% of the time - jeans and t-shirt with cute flats or flip-flops, and by t-shirts I mean shirts from my church, the college or the high school I attended, etc. not plain colored ones from Gap lol I do fix my hair everyday and put on make up most days.

If I'm going out I like to wear a cute top, and I have bought several cute, casual dresses lately. In the fall, i wear sweaters, cute jogging suits, or jeans and long-sleeved t-shirts.

For cute flats, i get mine from lots of places. Kohls, Payless...most recently my favorite pair came from WalMart actually.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"