Working Moms
Options

Pharma maternity benefits?

I am constantly debating what to do after my current situation comes to an end.  And it will, I am in academics and just completed my eligible postdoc years.  I have been considering applying to industry positions, some of the larger Pharm companies are close by.  Considering that, my DH and I are always debating about when to TTC for #2.  I am just wondering if any of you have a general idea of what kind of benefit policies these larger companies have.  In other words, what kind of maternity leave is available and when are employees eligible for it?  Just trying to figure out a rough schedule of how the potential work transition and baby making will/should overlap.  TIA!

Re: Pharma maternity benefits?

• Options

I worked at Novartis and their plan was pretty basic:  6 weeks maternity, or 8 weeks with c-section.  STD covered that 100%.  I could also be out one month prior to my due date which was not included in the above.  I believe you had to be there for a year before you could get that benefit, but I don't remember.

I worked at Lilly and they had a 2 year unpaid maternity benefit, but that was about 10 years ago.  I don't know what it is now. 

I now work for another company and their policy is 8 weeks, which you can start taking 2 weeks prior to your due date.  STD 100%. 

Its really going to vary by company and what insurance company they buy into.  As to when you qualify, that totally depends on the company. 

• Options
    Agree with the PP. The difference with my company (large baby powder kind of company as a hint) is that you can get more paid STD time based on your tenure. I had 5+ years in when I had DS so I was able to take more time paid. Also, my company will hold your job longer so you can take a longer leave but it is unpaid. It's all up to your management to work out your leave plan. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know one of my clients took 6 months off, and there is onsite daycare. In fact, MEN get 2 weeks paid paternity.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"