Two Under 2

If you plan on having more kids...

after your two kids...how long do you plan on waiting? I know some of your already have more than 2, or are pg with the 3rd--what's your opinion, would you have waited longer, had kids closer together etc?

DH and I arent sure and wont make decisions til after DD is here for a while, but we dont want our potential 3rd to be too far apart from the 2nd, but then again I also dont want 3 u 3...any input? Thanks 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you plan on having more kids...

• if it were up to my dh we would start trying for #3 when #2 is 7-8 months....but honestly i need to wait a year this time.  (my dh is 41 and i am 33 so he wants to get it done if we have a #3!)

• I am thinking maybe around this time next year.  I am 37 now, so we can't wait too long, especially if we want to go for #4

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Loading the player...
  • IF we have a third (and that's a big IF), then we'd like for DD2 to be around 3+.. not too much older, but 3 or 3.5, maybe even 4.

I wouldn't mind waiting 4-5 years and doing 2u2 again, but DH would never go for 4 kids ;) And I don't want 3u3 or even 3u4. I don't think I could handle it, mentally ;) I need DD1 to be in school before I want to introduce another NB to the mix :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • I think we're going to start ttc #3 in Sept.  That would put DS at just over 2 years, and DD at almost 4 years older than #3 if I happen to get pregnant right away.
    Natalie 7.27.07/Lukas 5.29.09/Noah 3.4.11/Brooke 7.31.12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We hoped to get pg with #3 right away like we did with #2 but it didn't happen early enough so I just got on BC (I wanted a 2010 baby and AF returned early this time as well even though I EBF)

Not sure if we will have anymore... maybe in 3-4 years when the girls are ready for pre-k and K

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If things go my way, we'll try for #3 when L is 2 1/2 - 3 years. That means #2 would be around 1 1/2 - 2.

• IF (and I second- that's a big if) we have a third, I think I'd want #1 to be at least four years old.  That would make #2 just shy of three.  DH doesn't want a lot of space between our kids, so I think that's the longest I could get him to wait.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We would like to have ours close in age again ... I think, #2 isn't here yet so depending on how that goes we will wait to make that decision down the road.  In our heads, we would like #2 and #3 to be spaced about the same as #1 and #2 (18 months apart).

Now if I have an amazing baby it may be sooner rather than later:)  We want 4 kids (well I want 4, my Dh wants 5-6).   

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I feel the same way as you -- I don't want # 3 to be so far behind the boys that he/she isn't involved with them as much, but I don't think I want # 2 and # 3 to be as close in age. # 1 and # 2 will be exactly 2 years apart. We're thinking about # 3 maybe when # 1 is 5 and # 2 is 3?? 
    Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12
  • We plan on trying for #3 when the new baby is 6 months old.  I always wanted my kids to grow up together and I have a job with a very flexible schedule and lots of family nearby, so it makes sense for us.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Well, I already have the 3. They are all 1.5 years apart (1 and 2 are 18 months, 2 and 3 are 19 months). Even though we're in a good routine right now, I would have done it DIFFERENTLY.

We wanted 4 kids total. We wanted to do 2u2, then a space, then 2u2 again. This isn't what happened, and it was VERY VERY hard for me (and for DH) the first year of DS's life, even though he was a laid back child. All 3 of my kids have been bad sleepers, and none of them have STTN until close to a year old. Also, I have NO help around. It's me 24/7 without any big breaks......that's hard to do.

Adding a 3rd (no matter what the spacing) becomes logistically more difficult. Getting 3 meals packed, 3 kids out the door, etc. Once you are outnumbered, it's a whole different ball game (zone defense vs. man-to-man defense).

Also, most people overlook the financial part. The newborn stage is the LEAST expensive part of it. Think vacations, eating out, grocery bills, clothing, sports, activities, etc. All cost money. It's not just some extra diapers and wipes and formula (if you FF).

GL to you whatever you decide. Lots of this is based on your situation and your (and DH's) personality........i.e. - if you have ANY help whatsoever (even 1 day once a month is a big difference), good sleepers, kids in school, etc.

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I would like a 3rd but I don't know how far apart they should be.  I know I'll BF for a year so it wouldn't be before then.  But I think I would like to give my body a little break.  I don't have an answer, but I share your thoughts and want to hear what others say. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageflgator:
    I would like a 3rd but I don't know how far apart they should be.  I know I'll BF for a year so it wouldn't be before then.  But I think I would like to give my body a little break.  I don't have an answer, but I share your thoughts and want to hear what others say. 

I wanted a break from EBF too. I just stopped nursing #3, and it was 5 YEARS of either being PG, BFing or PG AND BFing........

Only now am I getting my break!

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • We're actually planning on a bigger gap between 2 and 3 for a variety of reasons but one being that we're buying a house that, while it has 4 bedrooms, will still be really tight if we added a fourth person full time. So we'll see.
  • we plan to wait until the boys are in preschool and then do 2u2 again.
    Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • NannaNanna member
    We are trying for #3 right now. We want our kids close in age and to get the "baby years" over with sooner rather than later.  
    imageimageimage
  • I wanted to have two close together and then a break and then two more close together.  However, my third had a different plan.  He chose to come sooner than expected.  I wanted him born in 2010, he came in 2008!  I don't like three children.  There is an odd man out all the time!  Two gets along great, add in the third and its chaos!  So we will proabably have a fourth in a year or two!  So there will be an unfortunate gap but I'm ok with that, just not what I originally planned.
  • We're going to wait until this LO is 2 1/2 yr old.  My DD #1 is a late walker and just in case this DD is as well I want her to be older.  Also I have to plan around tax season so it's either 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 and my poor ute wants a break lol.  Hopefully I can get down to a healthy weight and get in shape prior to preg #3 as well
  • We just had #3 and we had planned for this baby to be closer in age to the other two but we had trouble TTC this time (took almost two years total). 

We are considering #4 and the plan is to TTC #4 to be 2u2 if we decide to do so because we loved the spacing of DD#1 and DS. 

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"