D.C. Area Babies

my DS is like the RNC

I keep hearing about how the RNC is spending more money than it's raising . . . well DS is drinking more milk at daycare than I am pumping. Right now he takes 4 5-oz bottles a day, and I'm generally pumping more like 16oz a day. We've been thawing milk and now my stash is almost completely gone (like another week or two and it's out).

I'm taking More Milk Plus, eating oatmeal with brewer's yeast, drinking plenty and sleeping plenty. I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point, and I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I might have to start supplementing. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, but I am seriously bummed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: my DS is like the RNC

• When you pump are you continuing for a couple of minutes past when you stop giving milk?  Can you try pumping more frequently?  (stuff to try and signal to your body that baby needs more)  You can also try Fenugreek (try any natural store or Whole Foods, ironically, WF tends to have the best prices on it)  I'm really sorry, working did my supply in completely.
  • I feel your pain.  My supply tanked (and I am a SAHM).  I have done everything (including choking down mothers milk tea) will little improvement.  I nurse then pump in the AM, then nurse maybe once around 10.  By his 1pm feeding I have to give 2 additional oz of formula (I am trying to build a stash for when I have to give back the hospital pump).  By the end of the day he gets 4-5 oz of BM (on top of nursing).  I pump at 9 pm for the next day.  

I struggled with giving formula as well.  But honestly I feel better knowing that his tummy is full.  It is no reflexion of your parenting/motherhood skills.  DS will love you just the same!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I felt that way too, what helped for me is pumping every hour on teh hour for 15 minutes for 2 days, which of course is not feasible at work but maybe on a weekend if you got desperate.  I tried fenugreek, did not work for me so alas, I am supplementing, I was really bummed about it at first but am realizing that DS needs to eat and he is doing fine.  I mix each bottle so he gets some BM and some formula with each feed.  He finishes every bottle we put in front of him so we don't have to worry about wasting.
  • can you increase his solid food intake?
  • I've had to supplement most days since the beginning - even as my supply increases, it never gets ahead of her increasing appetite.  It took me a while to be really ok with it, but it's seriously freeing to know you don't need to stress for that last bottle of the day. 

Do you massage your breasts while you pump?  (I know this came up the other day, but I can't remember who said what.)  I've noticed I get an extra ounce or two over the course of the day now that I do it every time I pump (just for the last few minutes).

imageimageimage
  • imageSofka:
    can you increase his solid food intake?

I was wondering that too. I'm kind of lost on how much solid food they should be getting, though. I feel like I'm always trying to keep a balance between solids (which he loves) and making sure he's not too full to nurse/drink a bottle. 

I've read a lot about a 6ish month dip in supply when they start solids. Unfortunately, I was never able to figure out if you're supposed to work super hard to get your supply back up or take it as a sign that they should/are eating less. Hmm 

Either way, you've done a stellar job of giving him the best nutrition you could for 7 months. That's something to be proud of!

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Can you make that last bottle for daycare smaller?  That's what I eventually did.  I also started pumping before bed or on the other side while DD was nursing on one side.  We did start supplementing one bottle of formula at 10 months when I just wasn't interested in finding new ways to boost my supply.    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"