Baby Names
Options

So my Husband is obsessed with....

.....Ireland for a little girl. My Grandmothers name was Irene, So the more he says it the more I am starting to really like it. The only other name He has thrown to the table is Stella. Which is a little too Italian for me. Boys are solid for us. Girl names are so hard for me. 

So how do you feel about Ireland for a girl?  

Re: So my Husband is obsessed with....

• Options
    NMS
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it is cute
    IUI#1= DD born 1.5.2011
    IUI #4 BFP EDD 5.5.2012 m/c 10/1/2012
    Surprise! BFP 12/4/12 EDD 8/8/2012
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I have known a couple Ireland's.One was a little girl in one of my classes and she had the strawberry blonde hair and green eyes to fit the name perfectly. She was adorable. Another one of those names that i do think is cute, but i would not use it because it is nms. I do see where Irene fits in and it would be a interesting and cute way to honor her name. My DH would have never thought of that or liked it, so good job DH lol.

• Options
    No
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

Sorry, NMS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I kind of like it.  Don't love it, but it's cute.
  • Options
    It isn't my style. But I definitely wouldn't think it was weird or ugly or anything if LO had an Ireland in her class.
  • Options

The best part; red heads run strong on my husbands side... I made him a promise. If the baby comes out with red hair we can name her Ireland. Knowing both He and I came out bald.... hahaha. Now it's growing on me either way. My DH is on it... lol  

• Options
    It's cute. Friends of our had a baby girl three days ago and named her Ireland Kaia Ray ........
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Do not like it, why not just go with Irene??
  • Options
    It's NMS, but I think it is pretty.  There are worse names out there.  I once knew a little girl named Irelynn...
    My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No
  • Options

LOVE IT! But we can't use it because neither of us are even close to being Irish, so i think it's a little weird if it doesn't fit in the slightest!

Love the NN Irie too

Very cute. Go for it 

• Options
    I do not like names of places for names of people.
  • Options
    It's a country, not a baby name.
  • Options
    I think it's kind of cute, though not my typical style.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't love it or hate it.  I think Stella is super cute, though.  I do not agree with the too Italian thing at all.
  • Options
    I think your DH has great taste :)
  • Options
    Its not really my style, but I think its cute :-)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    some of my good friends just used ireland as a middle name-and i love it.  one of their twin daughter's is Ella Ireland and it so adorable together.   not sure if a great first name, but as i said i really like it. 
  • Options
    the name is ella ireland.  not elle
  • Options
    I strongly prefer Stella - I think it ages much better. Ireland is cute for a little girl, but not for an adult, IMO.
  • Options

imagebunnybean:
    It's a country, not a baby name.

This, sorry.

Why not use Irene?  With all the old-fashioned names that are coming back into style these days, I don't think Irene would be out of place at all -- I think it's quite nice.

• Options
    Friends of ours named their little girl Ireland and I quite like it...
  • Options
    I think it's pretty strange, haha. Would you name a child Germany or America? And if she were ever to come to Ireland... the poor child. She'd be mocked mercilessly. Just a thought.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesweet1600s:
    I think it's pretty strange, haha. Would you name a child Germany or America? And if she were ever to come to Ireland... the poor child. She'd be mocked mercilessly. Just a thought.

Actually, my cousin's MIL's name is America. No one mocks her for it. And there's the actress America Ferrera.I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone being named Germany, but I'm sure there's someone out there!

Anyway, I like the name. I think it's cute for a little girl and there's nothing wrong with it for a grown woman. Your DH loves it and it seems like you do too, so go with it!

• Options
    imagestreamtrax41:

imagesweet1600s:

Actually, my cousin's MIL's name is America. No one mocks her for it. And there's the actress America Ferrera.I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone being named Germany, but I'm sure there's someone out there!

Anyway, I like the name. I think it's cute for a little girl and there's nothing wrong with it for a grown woman. Your DH loves it and it seems like you do too, so go with it!

Oh that's true, I hadn't thought of her.

In Ireland, though, she would be mocked. It wouldn't be mean, but it would be pretty constant. As you live in the States, though, I don't see that being a major problem. It's still definitely NMS, but it's not horrible, and if you and DH both really like, then great! I also think it would grow with her, not be too weird for an adult. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ick! Sounds a little too outdated.. not sure if this 'particular' name will have a comeback IMO. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I was referring to the name IRENE. Not Ireland, I actually like the name!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It's nms,but I think it's cute!There are way worse things she could be named imo.

Lilypie - (yNYF)

Lilypie - (bSes)

T1 diabetes diagnosed 11/95 due to severe pancreatic injury
    BFP 1 1/22/10 EDD 9/30/10 Adria b. 9/11/10 d.8/9/11, Transposition of the Great Arteries,
    Pleural effusion, Kidney Failure
    BFP 2 4/26/12 EDD 1/3/13 M/C 5/13/12
    BFP 3 10/3/12 EDD 6/17/13 Twins! Preston and Juliet b. 5/22/13

• Options
    I really like it!
  • Options
    NMS
  • Options

Ireland's on our list too (my mom's Irish).  I like okay.  But, I've had a hard time trying to figure out what people might call her (not that we'd give her a nn, but other people might)...can't think of anything good.

I think we're not going to end up going with Ireland, though, it's just too literal for me.  Stella, on the other hand, is beautiful!  If we weren't using traditional Irish names, it would definitely be on our list too!

• Options
    i actually love the name ireland. i always have but my dh would never go for it. and you could call her erin for short. i like stella too but for some reason i associate it with a hooker, dont know why.
  • Options
    I like Stella better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"