Canada Babies

post delivery question: routine pitocin injection?

My info packet from my hospital says that, "you will get medication by IV (if you already have one) or by injection. This helps the uterus contract after the birth to reduce bleeding and help the placenta come out."

Any thoughts on this? I was reading people's birth plans online and several mentioned that they do not wish this routine injection of Pitocin. I honestly wasn't even aware of it before.

Re: post delivery question: routine pitocin injection?

• My hospital didn't do this with either of my births, so I don't really have any experience with it. However, I did get Pitocin to help my contractions with my first delivery, and it made them so much worse and more painful that I can't imagine wanting it after delivery.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We had to decide in advance if we wanted this or not. (I don't remember what drug it was though). We never did need it because of the emergency c/s.

My MW did say it helped to reduce bleeding and expediate the delivery of the placenta.

• Loading the player...
  • They give it to cause a contraction to get the placenta out.  I had to get 2 of them.  Theres a 45 min window for the placenta to detach before you need an intervention.  Its a risk factor for hemorhagging
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"