Indiana Babies
Options

Did DH take time off after baby was born?

Just curious. We're trying to decide whether DH should use some of this time off (he works mon-thurs). We're planning a vacation for later this year and would like to use the time off then, so I'm torn. 

Re: Did DH take time off after baby was born?

• Options

You'll definitely want him at home for the first few days.  I guess it will depend on when you go into labor and have the baby.  Like if you have it on Thursday night, you might be fine by yourself at home by Monday.  My hubby took 2 shifts off, I think, so he was off work for almost a whole week.  He works 24 and then is off 48.  I needed him to be at home because I couldn't physically do a lot because of the c-section.

• Options
    imagemrs.melluvslogan:

I guess it will depend on when you go into labor and have the baby.  Like if you have it on Thursday night, you might be fine by yourself at home by Monday.  My hubby took 2 shifts off, I think, so he was off work for almost a whole week.  He works 24 and then is off 48.  I needed him to be at home because I couldn't physically do a lot because of the c-section.

I went in on Wed night (so DH went to work on Wed) and I left the hospital on Sunday. DH went back to work on Tuesday and I was fine...everyone is going to be different though. I'm glad he saved some of his time so we can get away in the summer!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

YES, and I am so, so thankful.

Brian took two whole weeks off, and then returned to work half-days for two more weeks. I was thrilled with the set-up.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My husband is in a rare situation that he got 2 weeks paid paternity leave when E was born.  It was awesome to have him home those first 2 weeks.  My mom and sister came after that to help but it was great to have those first 2 weeks of bonding together as a family.
    Deleted
  • Options
    I went in on Wednesday night and DH worked a half-day that day. She was born Thursday morning and we came home on Sunday and he was back at work Monday. I managed fine, but I think it would have been nice to have him home at least for that first full day at home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

He took a week off, but that was including the time I was in the hospital (Wed-Sat). 

I would have liked him home more.  It really ended up only being 3 work days home with me and the baby and then he took off part of Thursday when we took T to his first pedi appt.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had Maya on Monday and Shawn was off until the following Monday.  I was fine (physically but I was definiltely still crying 10 times/day) by 7 days pp but I didn't have a c/s so that helped too.
  • Options
    He took 3 weeks off, and it was so nice, especially since I had a c-section! 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • Options
    Chris took a week off. Went back to work for an hour and then took another week off after Aidan passed.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options

Mine did not. Sort of.

But I gave birth on a Wednesday, DH had a more flexible job (computer stuff) and worked from the hospital/home while I was still at the hospital.

Baby and I went home on Friday, DH had Sat/Sun off, and then went to work as normal on Monday.

Your DH should be able to work those first 48-72 hours when you are in the hospital, since the nurses will take good care of you, help you with the baby, etc.

Might be nice to have him home the first day or two that you are home though.

• Options

With Rose, Tommy took two weeks off.  For Eli, probably will be taking two weeks again off.  At least one week.

I will say that I would have been just fine after a few days.  But, the absolute best memories I ever have of my life are the first couple of weeks after Rose was born and it was just him and I learning how to be a family together without distractions of work and what not.  That's why this time we really wanted another two weeks like he did before.  Those are memories and times we'll never get to live again, so I don't want him to miss them.

• Options
    Yep, he took 3 weeks off and with the holidays in Dec, he was pretty much off the whole month with us.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options
    Due to vacation that DH saved (2 weeks), paternity leave, and the company he works for has shutdown the last week of the year, he was able to take off the week before I had Leah until January 4th, it ended up being about 4 weeks and it was glorious having him with us, I did have a c/s.  But even if I hadn't I would have wanted him there with us to just experience those first few weeks.  We bonded as an entire family in a way I'm not sure we would have if he would have gone back to work right away.
  • Options
    Yup!  DH teaches and I had Mady the last day of winter break on a Sunday morning.  DH took the rest of the week off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagealoveindy:
    Due to vacation that DH saved (2 weeks), paternity leave, and the company he works for has shutdown the last week of the year, he was able to take off the week before I had Leah until January 4th, it ended up being about 4 weeks and it was glorious having him with us, I did have a c/s.  But even if I hadn't I would have wanted him there with us to just experience those first few weeks.  We bonded as an entire family in a way I'm not sure we would have if he would have gone back to work right away.

This was true for us, too.  I think DH really needed the time to get to know his son, to get to know how to be a dad (he's never been around babies AT ALL, he had to learn everything), and for us to figure out this new phase in our lives.  DH was home for 2 weeks after DH was born, and we plan for him to take time off when LO arrives in August.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"