Alabama Babies
Options

WWYD Re: Your Baby Can Read

(sorry this is longer than I intended it to be) 

Ok so my best friend's dad bought her, her brother and me an abbreviated set of the Your Baby Can Read series for our little ones as a supplemental Christmas gift.  I know he didn't spend as much money as the entire set but at the same time I don't believe it was considerably inexpensive either.  Anyway, I had already done my research and decided that it wasn't something I wanted to do for DS.  I also talked w/ a couple of teachers who "cosigned" my findings.

So what to do?  I feel like eventually she or her dad will ask about it or want to know if DS is enjoying it or learning from it and I won't have an answer.  I feel like it would be insulting to flat out say we haven't tried it yet and I don't want to insult him by saying I think it's pointless either.  I also sort of want to sell it on eBay or something just because I know there are some people out there very interested in it.  I guess my question is, how do I handle with them (my bff and her dad) the issue of just not using it at all if it comes up?

I should also add, someone brought it up in the presence of my bff and I a couple weeks ago, casually asking if we thought it really worked.  She said that she believes it does and I said that "it probably won't hurt, however, it's recognizing words merely by sight and not really reading since there's no comprehension involved. Meaning, they may recognize the word but have no idea what it means".  So I think I sort of planted a seed about what I thought but I feel like it will come up again.

Re: WWYD Re: Your Baby Can Read

• Options
    You can tell them you tried it and DS just wasn't interested in it.  Even at 18 months old, I can't get Avery to watch any TV AT ALL...(even when I want her to - LOL!)
  • Options
    I like the idea of the previous poster. I will however say that Madi seems to like the TV and I would like something better for her to watch. If you are considering selling it, how much do you want for it. I may be interested.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagesdkrlm:
    You can tell them you tried it and DS just wasn't interested in it.  Even at 18 months old, I can't get Avery to watch any TV AT ALL...(even when I want her to - LOL!)

I agree...just tell them he wasn't into it...as a teacher I also agree with the fact that the comprehension skills needed in order to "read" are missing from this program...I teach students w/Autism and I have one student who can "read" better than you and I put together...the issue is he can't tell you what he read...no comprehension.

• Options
    imagesdkrlm:
    I agree with this. DS only looks at the TV for a minute or two then moves on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMannaKay:
    I like the idea of the previous poster. I will however say that Madi seems to like the TV and I would like something better for her to watch. If you are considering selling it, how much do you want for it. I may be interested.

I'm not even sure what a fair price would be. Let me do a little research and I'll let you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"