Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

It's not chicken pox, it's a staph infection?! What?!

My MIL took my son into the doctor today because we thought he had chicken pox.  Turns out it's a staph infection and we have no idea how in the world he got it!  Poor guy has one in his mouth now, too :(  He gets to have an oral antibiotic 4 times a day and antibiotic cream put on several times a day.  They're all over the bottom fo his feet, hit butt, his pelvis, and a few on his thighs and fingers. 

We really have no clue how he got it.  The doctor wasn't even sure how he got it, either.  I feel so bad for him. :(

Re: It's not chicken pox, it's a staph infection?! What?!

• Options
    Poor thing! Hope your son feels better quickly. How long does the pedi think it will take to clear up?
  • Options
    Oh no!  Those can be nasty!  I hope the antibiotics work and work quickly.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJessiRaye:
    Poor thing! Hope your son feels better quickly. How long does the pedi think it will take to clear up?
    He's not sure...he said 1 or 2 look infected more so than the rest.  UGH!  He just got over a bunch of pneumonia crap, too. 

I feel bad but am glad that we got him in today.  I assumed it was the chicken pox from the way that it looked :(

• Options
    Sad

DD went thru that a few months ago.

Where did his start? DD's started in her diaper area, and since we'd had problems with other diaper rashes, we already had a close eye on that area & got her seen by her pedi when it started spreading to her thighs.

Her pedi told us that she has extremely delicate skin, and we can expect pretty much constant issues in her diaper area, because off all the bacteria that sits in the diaper anytime they pee or poo. He said pretty much the only way to prevent future issues is to get her potty trained ASAP.
  • Options

Staph lives in your nose..and you can have it in your nose and not get an infection. When dh got it (from God knows where), the doc gave me something to put in my nose that would kill it if I were carrying it- maybe ask about that.

I hope it clears up soon.

• Options

Oh my!  My H had a staph infection in his elbow that landed him in the hospital for 5 days.  It took 2 weeks to diagnose so that's when it was running rampant in his arm.  It was the scariest thing!  But, that was in September and he is completely healed now - although it took a while and he did come home on IV antibiotics that I had to administer.  It was an interesting time at our house.

Glad you got it diagnosed and got the antibiotics and I hope he's better soon!

• Options

Oh my goodness poor Z Sad

I hope he feels better very soon.

• Options
    imageRaving Rabbids:

imageJessiRaye:
    He's not sure...he said 1 or 2 look infected more so than the rest.  UGH!  He just got over a bunch of pneumonia crap, too. 

I feel bad but am glad that we got him in today.  I assumed it was the chicken pox from the way that it looked :(

If it's not one thing...it's something else :( Hope it clears up very soon.

• Options
    DS had a staph infection on his pelvis 2 months ago.  We think it was caused by a yeast infection he'd had a week before.  He was admitted to the hospital for 4 days of IV antibiotics, then 10 days of an oral antibiotic.  It was horrible for us, but he handled it well.  Your DS will do great!  Watch out for diarrhea caused by the antibiotics, and any diaper rashes caused by that.  DS had lots of baths during those days!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

imagekyfirewife:
    Sad

DD went thru that a few months ago.

Where did his start? DD's started in her diaper area, and since we'd had problems with other diaper rashes, we already had a close eye on that area & got her seen by her pedi when it started spreading to her thighs.

Her pedi told us that she has extremely delicate skin, and we can expect pretty much constant issues in her diaper area, because off all the bacteria that sits in the diaper anytime they pee or poo. He said pretty much the only way to prevent future issues is to get her potty trained ASAP.

Same thing...started out in his diaper area and we thought maybe it was the start of a diaper rash.  And then the more we looked at it, it looked like the chicken pox. :( 

I feel so bad for him...he was pointing at the spots this morning when I was changing him saying, "Boo boo...boo boo..."  I really want to cry because I feel guilty for not taking him into the doctor YESTERDAY. 

• Options

imageRaphSandra2005:
    DS had a staph infection on his pelvis 2 months ago.  We think it was caused by a yeast infection he'd had a week before.  He was admitted to the hospital for 4 days of IV antibiotics, then 10 days of an oral antibiotic.  It was horrible for us, but he handled it well.  Your DS will do great!  Watch out for diarrhea caused by the antibiotics, and any diaper rashes caused by that.  DS had lots of baths during those days!

Our pedi told us to get the Aveeno Oatmeal bath to help with the itchiness.  Thanks for the heads up about the diarrhea...I'll make sure to have extra diapers on stand by ;)

• Options
    Bummer!  That's awful.  I hope he feels better soon!
  • Options
    Aw sorry Raving! poor thing. I really hope it clears up fast!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Did they culture the sores? That's the only way to know if it's definitely staph and what type. The type depends on the antibiotics that he needs to treat the infection properly. I hope it resolves soon! Does it hurt? I hope he feels better soon!
  • Options
    unrelated, but what were your lo's symptoms when you found out he had pneumonia? sorry about the infection. my lo had one this fall and the antibiotics took care of it quickly.
  • Options

imagemeljp430:
    unrelated, but what were your lo's symptoms when you found out he had pneumonia? sorry about the infection. my lo had one this fall and the antibiotics took care of it quickly.

He was coughing a LOT.  And having trouble breathing.  Sounded really wheezy and rattly when he was breathing.  He started choking on milk and a few other foods and would throw up what seemed like buckets of phglem. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"