Baby Names
Options

Initials?

Okay, actually two questions (first time poster on this board)!

1.  Is it okay for LO's initials to be ATM?  I'm stuck on names starting w/ A!

2.  If I like the name Samuel, but want to call LO Sam and last name starts with a M, is that totally taboo?  (longest run-on sentence ever!!)

DS - 9/12/08 9 lbs 22.5 in.

Natural M/C 9/21/09 at 8w 1d baby measured 6w 3d

DS2 - 7/13/10 10 lb 2.5 oz. 21.5 in

DD1 - 9/21/12 9 lbs 4 oz. 22.5 in 

Baby #4 due Spring of 2014!

Re: Initials?

• Options
    I don't see anything terrible about having ATM as initials. It's a quirky coincidence. I don't know about the second one, I would have to hear the last name or something close to it. The first name ending in the same letter as last name starts w/ probably won't be a big deal.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options
    In the age of the internet and texting, you ar bound to find womething you dislike that initials stand for. I really don't think you should worry about it unless it is totally blatant like ASS or STD
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Nobody goes by their initials so i dont see why it would be a problem. I grew up with someone and their intials were TNT and she always joked about it when we were kids but i just dont see a reason to change your favorite names because of the way the initials will be.

Also IMO Samuel shortened to Sam with a last name that starts with an M is not a big deal either.

Good luck with your names Big Smile

• Options

I personally would not do ATM because of the sexual reference, but I admittedly have a dirty mind.  We'd like to think kids don't know what ATM means, but in this day and age, I'm continually surprised (and not always in a good way!).

I don't think Sam M. is a problem, but it depends on how it flows with your last name.  If it sounds okay, I wouldn't be overly worried about the double M sound. 

• Options
    imageImaPanda:

I personally would not do ATM because of the sexual reference, but I admittedly have a dirty mind.  We'd like to think kids don't know what ATM means, but in this day and age, I'm continually surprised (and not always in a good way!).

I don't think Sam M. is a problem, but it depends on how it flows with your last name.  If it sounds okay, I wouldn't be overly worried about the double M sound. 

I guess I don't know what ATM means either Embarrassed

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • Options
    imageImaPanda:

I must be dense because I've never heard of ATM as a sexual reference!  I was going to say it doesn't matter.  I agree with ImaPanda about Sam M too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options

ATM is better than ASS---which was the initials of my old high school friend!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think the initials are fine.

I know a Sam whose last name starts with M - I never thought anything of it. I don't see a problem with it.

DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • Options

Okay can you fill us in because even google or abbreviations.com doesn't know what ATM has to do with sex.

https://www.abbreviations.com/ATM

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

imagekrissyh21:
    In the age of the internet and texting, you ar bound to find womething you dislike that initials stand for. I really don't think you should worry about it unless it is totally blatant like ASS or STD

This. And as far as your second question, I'd have to hear the last name, but I think it should be ok.

My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • Options
    OMG!  I went to urbandictionary.com b/c I had no idea what it meant, and I'm not so sure I want to use it now......  Check it out!

DS - 9/12/08 9 lbs 22.5 in.

Natural M/C 9/21/09 at 8w 1d baby measured 6w 3d

DS2 - 7/13/10 10 lb 2.5 oz. 21.5 in

DD1 - 9/21/12 9 lbs 4 oz. 22.5 in 

Baby #4 due Spring of 2014!

• Options
    ATM aren't terrible initials. and I don't see what would be taboo about calling him 'Sam' with a last name starting with 'M'.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejhasselt:
    OMG!  I went to urbandictionary.com b/c I had no idea what it meant, and I'm not so sure I want to use it now......  Check it out!

Yeah, I wasn't going to spell it out.  Google it (NSFW!!!) or go to urbandictionary.com if you really want to know.  Just remember that once you learn what it means, you can't unlearn that information...

Oh and OP, sorry for being the bearer of bad news.  Obviously many people aren't aware what it means, but high school boys probably do... If the tables were turned, I'd want someone to tell me.

And for anyone giving me the side eye, just cause I know what it is doesn't mean I'm into it, lol!  Knowing what it is makes me want to Ick!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"