Postpartum Depression

Anti-depressants and PG

Hi all,

I just went to my psych today and although I trust her very much, she pretty much scared the poop out of me regarding taking antidepressants during pregnancy. My husband and I are TTC and I have been on  225 mg of Effexor XR for 8 years (huge dose, long time, i know)... and she recommended tapering to Zoloft and waning to a lower mg/day.. I'm just really nervous and don't know who to talk to. Obviously I want healthy babies no matter what but I never realized what a big deal my effexor was to me until now, I am scared of who I might be "underneath".... even though I will do whatever it takes to have a healthy child!! I also really want to breast feed but obviously because of my medical history my Drs are being overly cautious about postpartum depression as well, and I would really hate it if they told me I couldn't!! Crying

Did any of you try Zoloft during pregnancy and/or breast feeding? Any similar stories out there? 

image Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Anti-depressants and PG

• Prior to conceiving I had been on and off of Effexor XR.  To me, the risks did not outweigh the benefits - however I was only on 75 mg and not for that long of a time.  I see my general practitioner, not a psychiatrist - but I was def scared of negative side effects for my LO.

I was nervous bc Effexor helps so much with my anxiety...my doc and I tried a few things but long story short: Buspar coupled with a safe anti depressant (I hear Zoloft is a great option) might be a huge relief - and most importantly safe for Momma and Baby :)

GL!!! 

• I took Zoloft before getting pg and continued while I was pg with my dd. My doctor actually told me that if anythign, they will increase the dosage, since your blood volume increases and you need more of the drug to have the same effect. I was taking 100 mg/day, and around my 2nd trimester it started feeling like it wasn't working. My dr increased it to 150 mg/day and that worked. After dd was born I tapered back down to 100 mg, and I breastfed also. My dd is perfectly healthy. Talk to your OB/GYN also, he/she I think can give you more information regarding the safety of SSRI's during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for sharing your stories. It means so much to me to hear from others that have gone or are going through the same thing. I think that you all are very brave for sharing!!

I am definitely going to address my concerns with both my PCP and my OBGYN. I made an appointment to see both. time

I will also let everyone know how it goes! 

image Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"