D.C. Area Babies
Options

FU on crazy roller and a WWBD? (what would a bumpie do?)

So my "mad crazy roller" has calmed down a bit.  He actually (knocking like crazy on wood) had a great night last night.  He slept very soundly in various positions....I was happy with the way things were going...until....

I went in to his room around 2:30 because I hadn't heard a peep from him.  I find him asleep on his tummy, butt in the air AND face down in mattress.  I moved his head to the side and he continued to sleep.  I suppose I could have turned him over on to his back.  But I was afraid to wake him, and be back to the rolling.  I actually stood over his bed for a good 10 minutes debating to turn his head, or flip him back over.  

My question is WWBD????  Who knows how long he was sleeping like that and if he would turn his head when he needed to on his own.  It's the price I pay for a quiet night!!!

BTW...I want to thank you all for all of your advice over the past few months.  I tend to ask questions here rather than the 3-6 board...you gals are much nicer!

FJC 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: FU on crazy roller and a WWBD? (what would a bumpie do?)

• Options

Congrats on the good sleeping, that's great! Our pediatrician told us that once DD had neck control AND started rolling, if she made it to her stomach during the night, she would be ok. Even if we put her on her back, she would somehow end up on her belly (face to the side, butt up usually). I think it's pretty hard to stop them once they are rollin'! But maybe some of the other ladies had success positioning their little ones. :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have no advice (but am anxious to see what others say!) but had to comment on 2 things your wrote...first, I have said "knock on wood" more times than I can count since having ds! I always feel like I say something and then jinx it! Also, I agree...I read the 3-6 board a lot, but am too chicken to post there...much calmer advice here!
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think I posted this exact same thing about 7 or 8 months ago--I totally know what you are going through! :-) My son loves to sleep face down and it really freaked me out for awhile. But that is one of the reasons why crib mattresses are supposed to be very firm...also we don't use a mattress pad. It's just a tight fitting sheet on top of the mattress so that there's no extra fabric around his nose and mouth.

I used to do exactly what you're doing--I'd go in and move his head to the side and fortunately, he never woke up, but he'd always move it back how he wanted it. I know it's scary (it still scares me occasionally and my son is now a year old!), but it's just how he wants to sleep. In fact, I just looked in the video monitor and he's face down with his head wedged into the corner of the crib--it does NOT look comfy, but it works for him ;-)

My best advice to you is to make sure there's nothing in his crib--no stuffed animals or thick bumpers--and make sure his sheet fits really tight on the mattress. And then relax...this a sign of him growing up. He's sleeping on his own terms :-)

• Options
    I would just leave him.  I am probably on the other end of the spectrum but Allie always had strong neck control so I was never really concerned.  I am those few moms who doesn't check in on their child once they go to bed at night. I've done it maybe once or twice.  But your child is old enough to be able to turn himself to breathe on his own.  If I were you I would have just turned his head rather than flip him back over.  Once they start rolling there is'nt much you can do to stop it.  Relax, you did the right thing!
  • Options
    Ever since he could roll over, my son has slept that way too.  It's been nine months now, and he's been fine (he didn't start rolling from back to front until 9 months).
  • Options
    My son sleeps with his butt in the air and face down and has for a while.  It used to freak me out, too, but that's what he likes.  As ppl said above, as long as Baby can move around, any position they get themselves into is okay.
  • Options

ditto PPs, let him sleep the way he chooses

and yes, those national boards are really scary!

• Options

imageAngelTheBride:
    I would just leave him.  I am probably on the other end of the spectrum but Allie always had strong neck control so I was never really concerned.  I am those few moms who doesn't check in on their child once they go to bed at night. I've done it maybe once or twice.  But your child is old enough to be able to turn himself to breathe on his own.  If I were you I would have just turned his head rather than flip him back over.  Once they start rolling there is'nt much you can do to stop it.  Relax, you did the right thing!

My advice exactly.  I will add I rarely check on DD more for fear of waking her.  DD sometimes sleeps like this, and while I can't imagine it's comfortable, she seems to be in plenty of company.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"