1st Trimester
Options

How did you know it was twins?

If you had/are having twins, how did you know? MIL is a twin, but I have been told it runs on the mother's side, so I don't really need to worry. But, it got me thinking, how do you know it's twins (other than the obvious - seeing two on the ultrasound)?

Re: How did you know it was twins?

• Options
    I heard that two positive pregnancy tests is (are) an indicator.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

I found out we were having triplets at an ultrasound at 6w0d.  The only way to know if it is twins is an ultrasound.

And, FYI, your MIL being a twin has no impact on your chances of having twins.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Ultrasound.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageGatorMrs_Esq:

:::Dies:::

• Options
    sometimes you could have higher betas, or you could be "showing" sooner, but really the only way to know for sure is an ultrasound.  We saw ours with two strong heartbeats at 7 weeks.
  • Options

imageslwhatley:
    I'm pretty sure the only way to know is seeing two on the ultrasound or hearing two heartbeats.

This.

Also, only fraternal twins generally run in the family, and that would have to be your family. Identical (I've also seen this called spontaneous) twins are not genetic.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just wondered...it seems like a number of people know so early...but most docs in my area don't give an ultrasound until 18-20 weeks. I'm not really worried, as I mentioned I have been told it runs on mothers side and I don't know any twins in my family. 
  • Options
    imageJaimeCH:

imageslwhatley:
    I'm pretty sure the only way to know is seeing two on the ultrasound or hearing two heartbeats.

This.

Also, only fraternal twins generally run in the family, and that would have to be your family. Identical (I've also seen this called spontaneous) twins are not genetic.

Spontaneous twins were conceived without medical intervention (aka fertility treatments), fraternal or identical.

• Options

imageM&LC:
    Just wondered...it seems like a number of people know so early...but most docs in my area don't give an ultrasound until 18-20 weeks. I'm not really worried, as I mentioned I have been told it runs on mothers side and I don't know any twins in my family. 

We have no family history, either.  We're having fraternal twins.  No reason to think we'd be having them.

u/s is the only way to know.

ETA: You can receive a hyperovulation gene from your dad.  So if twins run on his side, while it wouldn't manifest in his children being twins (his gene doesn't create super sperm to coax extra eggs out of mom's ovaries), he could pass it on to you.

Similarly, if twins run in DH's family, it wouldn't show with your kids.  It could, however, show with your daughter's kids.  This is part of what makes it appear as though twins skip generations.

• Options

well IVF/ IUI ladies typically have their u/s much earlier...

we had very high betas and put two embryos in so we had a feeling, even before confirming at the u/s 

• Options

imageGatorMrs_Esq:

Wink

Ultrasound is the only way to know early on. You can't go by " I have more morning sickness than ever before" or "Twins run in my family".  I have no family history, no fertility meds and basically no symptoms, but I've got twins on board. Just good luck. Mine are identical.

• Options

imageGatorMrs_Esq:

Big Smile

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

With my first pregnancy my m/s didn't start until 8 weeks.. this time it started at 3 weeks 5 days.. a couple days before I got my BFP.  I actually just joked that it must be a boy this time.  Then a week after I got my BFP I had a dream that I went for my first u/s and they found two sacs.  I ended up going to the doctor later that week to get some zofran and mentioned I'd been having a lot of cramping (more than with DD) so they sent me for an u/s and low and behold there were two sacs!  I couldn't believe it... good thing I had told a couple people about my dream, otherwise they would have never believed that I had the dream!  Anyway, I wouldn't have known if it weren't for the u/s... although my m/s has been a lot worse this time and the OB said its because my body is dealing with twice the hormones.

Oh yeah, also there is no history of twins in my family so I was completely shocked to see there were two! 

• Options

imageGatorMrs_Esq:

Sh*t, then I'm having quadruplets!

Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • Options
    ROFL!!!!  Me too then!!!
  • Options

imageM&LC:

This would have been true for me.  I wouldn't have gone in for an u/s until 18-20 weeks at the practice I am at.  However, I had some spotting at week 13 or 14 (can't remember) and so my doctor had me go in for an u/s to make sure everything was ok.  That's when they told us it was twins.

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"