Postpartum Depression
Options

Have you told anyone other than your SO about PPD?

How did you tell your family or friends? And how did they react? I am not a normally blunt person so picking up the phone and saying "Hi Mom, I have PPD" is not something I would do. But I can't think of any other way to say it. Any ideas?

My counselor wants me to tell my parents about the PPD but I haven't been able to bring myself to tell them yet. One reason is that my parents are enjoying their week without my younger sister (she's out of town on a band trip) and have gone out every evening so far. Not that I blame them for enjoying their freedom for the week but I didn't want to mention the PPD so as not to take the chance of messing up their evenings. Second reason is that I'm chickening out at the thought of how they will react. My mom has already told me that there is no depression in the family so what I'm feeling is just the baby blues and hormones.

Re: Have you told anyone other than your SO about PPD?

• Options
    our moms know but i don't really talk about it with them.  i have talked about it a bunch with my SIL, she has anxiety and has been on medications for it and so i feel like she understands where i'm coming from and that i can't control it.
  • Options

I have been on and off depression meds throughout college and since graduating.  Really the only person who ever knows is my DH.  Its just something I feel awkward talking about, and DH "gets" it.  My mother is a nurse and I'm sure she would be very understanding - however I have just always kept it to myself.

I am worried about PPD - however I think I'll only tell people that I am asking for help - probably DH, my mom and maybe my MIL, or maybe a few close friends.

Good Luck. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The only two people who know are my DH and my boss.  Every time I went to tell my Mom about it, she would complain about my brother always laying his problems out on her.  I know this is different, but I just decided to keep it to myself at that point.  There are certain things that my Mom is on my back about that is caused by my PPD/PP-OCD, and that she would probably ease up if I told her, but. . . . I am mostly back to my old self now on my meds.  So, I haven't told anyone.  My DH and boss are super supportive!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm rather open about my PPD.  But, I have dealt with depression since I was 24 years old (I'm 38 years old now), as well as ADD.  DH and ended up dealing with infertility (our LO is an IVF baby).  I have been open and willing to talk about my experiences. 

But, my mom is the same way about things that she has experienced--so this is how I've learned to handle my issues.

IMO, you have nothing to be embarrassed of or ashamed of--but, it sounds like some of the people you would like to talk to about your PPD may not be supportive of your situation.  Knowing your audience is important.  Given who you are feeling, you should share what's going on with you to those who will be loving and supportive.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    well, my mom is the one who told me she thought I had it and that I absolutely needed to see the doctor, so.... she knows.

I've been pretty open about it with family & close friends. I don't bring it up, but if it happened to come up, then I don't mind.

If you're counselor thinks that it would be helpful to tell your parents, then I would. You might be surprised at how supportive they are.

As far as your mom thinking it's just "baby blues and hormones" - well, I thought mine was just baby blues too. It wasn't until after I got treatment that I could look back & see how bad it was. And for the hormones - well, yeah, that's usually part of it. It's the fluctuation of hormones that often causes, or at least contributes, to PPD.

GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"