Postpartum Depression
Options

Lexapro and weight gain/loss

I was just put on Lexapro b/c of Post Partum Anxiety and I'm hearing horror stories about the weight gain. Anyone familiar with this? I'm trying SO HARD to lose my baby weight and I'm terified I'm going to put more on.

Re: Lexapro and weight gain/loss

• Options
    I didn't gain any weight while on it. I didn't lose any - but I wasn't eating right/exercising either. Not everyone experiences the side effects.
  • Options
    The weight gain I've read about on here seems minimal.. like 5 lbs give or take.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't gain any weight from it that I'm aware of. If I did it was insignificant enough that I obviously never noticed!
  • Options

I gained between 10-15 lbs while on Lexapro and then switched to effexor and gained 5-10 more. I ate the same and worked out at the gym 4 times a week + daily walks. I am off of all antidepressants now by weaning slowly off of Effexor onto Prozac and then no Prozac.  It was extremely difficult weaning off Effexor and took me about a year to do it.  I kept telling my doctors that I was gaining weight bc of these drugs and they would dismiss me.  It was riduculous.  I originally started on Cellexa and had no weight gain or bad side effects on Cellexa, but then it just stopped working for me.  I firmly believe that Lexapro and Effexor caused major wieght gain for me and changed my metabolism.  I was at a very healthy weight before Lexapro and it stayed very constant.  You will know if you have weight gain because sometimes it is fast like 5 lbs in 2-3 months, 10 lbs in 6months.  This is without changing eating or exercising habits.

• Options
    Hi again, I just wanted to add that if the medicine helps then stay on it and if you experience wieght gain talk to your doctor about trying something different if the side effects are not tolerable.  Let the medicine get to work and stablize your mood before trying to go off or switch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"