Postpartum Depression

It's official....

I talked to my Ob about birth control which led to this sobbing session of how unhappy I am. I start Lexapro today. I've read a lot of you take it and seems to work.

I do have one question... How do you really know when you're ready to stop taking it? My doc said we can see how it's working and when it's time to stop etc etc.. how do you really know when you are ready to stop taking antidepressant/anxiety meds?

Re: It's official....

• i did.  i didn't talk to my doc about stopping, i just did it on my own.  i was feeling a lot better and not having as much anxiety, so i decided to stop taking it, and i was fine.  believe me, if your ppd is bad enough, you'll know when you're feeling better and when it's safe to stop!  :)
    Mommy to Presley 5/27/09,
    p7 copy
    It's a GIRL!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I started it yesterday. My doc said he wants me on it for a year! I think he is afraid that if I stop when I feel better, the symptoms may come back. Not sure.

Also, do you take yours in the am/pm/other?

• Loading the player...
  • I just started today. I took it at lunch. I might see how it affects me before I decide am or pm.
  • I work as a social worker in mental health - so I have really strong feelings that you should always talk with your doctor about stopping meds/smaller doses/etc.   Even if your doc recommends one year it isn't set in stone - but I think you should discuss this with your doc before stopping.

When you feel better and get symptom relief is exactly when you should continue taking meds.  This means they have reached therapeutic levels and they are effective.  If you feel better and abruptly stop meds any mood disorder is likely to reoccur, and often times it comes back very strongly.  

Like I said - these are my opinions as someone who works in mental health.  My best advice is of course - do what makes you healthy!   

• Oh I wouldn't stop on my own.. just wondering how one would "know" when it's a good time to stop. Smile
  • Sorry if my last post seemed bossy - I re-read it today and it kind of did :(

I go to my GP for my anti depressants - and bc I know her really well I would plan on scheduling an appt every few months just to check in with medication (my office calls them medication management appts).  Ask you doc for his or her recommendation.  This might be even easier if you see a therapist weekly or if you see a psychiatrist for your medication - as longer conversations might be more common.

GL! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"