Toronto Babies
Options

Maternity Leave Rules

Anyone know them? My old job"no longer exists" at my place of work, and they want me to take back a different job that I had moved up from. They can't do that right? A demotion? Don't they have to give me back a job at the same level?

Re: Maternity Leave Rules

• Options
    Yes ... they are supposed to give you back your job as you left it .. although I am not too sure what happens if the company decides that your position is no longer ... you may want to contact EI Ontario and find out exactly though.
  • Options
    I can look into this tomorrow for you - I work in the HR department (but don't deal with stuff like this in my job). I can email my colleague and find out the 'rules'.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I emailed my manager (the HR manager) to find out for you. I'll let you know what she says. I'm pretty sure they have to let you come back to an equivalent job if yours no longer exists.
  • Options

My manager just wrote me back - here's her answer:

In terms of the mat leave question ? they can make changes if a reorg has happened and a job doesn?t exist, but she should be coming back into an equivalent role in terms of responsibilities, benefits and salary. If they?re keeping her job grade/salary at the same level, they will likely say it?s equivalent.

Hope that helps!

• Options

Wow! Thanks for going through all that trouble for me!
    It doesn't have the same responsibities, thats for sure. I wonder if I should contact a lawyer

• Options

No trouble at all - it's one of the perks of reporting to the HR manager. She pretty much knows everything :)

I'm not sure who you should contact - I can find out though. I know there's a 'governing body' of some sort that deals with issues like this.

• Options
    I believe it is the Ministry of Labour that you contact.
  • Options

imageJen&Joe06:
    I believe it is the Ministry of Labour that you contact.

I think you're right, Jen.

I should know this... being that I work in the HR department. But I don't really do anything HR-related, in my defence :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"