Alabama Babies
Options

How soon would you start swim lessons with LO?

My inlaws and parents both have pools so Aubrey learning to swim is really important to us.  I was browsing around and saw that a local park in Madison offers swim lessons starting at 6months.  Aubrey will be close to 8 months old when it is warm enough to start swimming here.  Should I enroll in them this summer to get her used to water?  Or should I wait til next summer?  What would you do? 

Re: How soon would you start swim lessons with LO?

• Options
    Obviously, I don't have a LO myself, but wanted to say I have a friend with a 10 month old who got her daughter in swimming lessons at a similar age. I didn't realize you could start that early, but she really enjoyed doing it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

We plan on starting ASAP -- we have a pool and it's important to us that Payton can survive if she falls in (we have a fence and really heavy locking gates, but it's still a concern because it's always possible someone will forget and leave a gate open accidentally).  We're probably not doing regular lessons (Payton is too young for them in our area), we *THINK* we are planning on doing those float/swim/float classes.  I can't remember what they're called, but you can youtube them (here's a link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_56fVQlHc&feature=related)

I asked our pedi about it and he said that below 1 year is perfectly fine and a great age.  He said regular lessons or the specialty classes are great.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My mom put went thorugh mommy and me swimming classes with both my brother and myself.  It wasn't really "swimming" lessons, but teaching the baby/toddler to not be afraid of the water, and how to flip over onto their back. 

I don't know if it's because of the classes or not, but my brother and I are both really comfortable in the water.  My mom used to call me part fish because I could stay in the pool all day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

m/c 05/2009
    DD born 8/9/10
    TTC #2 since 8/2012
    CP 12/2012
    dx MFI 10/2013
    Surprise BFP 11/6/2013  EDD 7/19/2014
    Beta #1 15 dpo HCG 355 Prog 30.9
    Beta #2 22 dpo HCG 8147 Prog 18.8
    Beta #3 29 dpo HCG 44580 Prog 29.8

• Options

it depends on what your goal is..  is it just to get her used to the water??  if so you can just take her to the pool this summer.  if youre looking into the ISR classes like sarah mentioned that is an ongoing thing and i think the sooner the better.

Avery and I take mommy & me classes at UAH and its really just play time in the water.  we love it

• Options
    I swim like a rock(straight down) so it's imperative that Preston learns to swim...I plan to start him as soon as I can...he won't be 6 months until the end of the summer but whenever he can start...he will!
  • Options
    It is important to me that Mitchell learn to swim as well so I will be looking into what's available this summer.
  • Options
    hey sorry to butt in on the post, but what park is doing the lessons or rather where did you find the info...
  • Options

imageMrs Lou:
    hey sorry to butt in on the post, but what park is doing the lessons or rather where did you find the info...

Dublin Park in Madison.  I knew they did them because my SIL did them with my niece there.  I checked Madison's Park and Recreation website and it gave me some information.  

• Options

I started with Nate when he was around 10 months old. He was swimming like a little fish by the time he was 3 with no swimmies. I plan to start working with Abby as soon as the water is warm enough.

I think the earlier the better. :o)

• Options
    This is a great post- we don't have a pool but we'll go to the lake in the summers.
  • Options
    I took J to Mommy & Me classes at the Y last summer, so she was about 15 months or so....  I loved it and she seemed to enjoy the water.  I kind of wish we could have started earlier, but we didn't.  Anyway, like Sarah said, it was more "play time" than anything, but I do think it's good to get them used to the water.  There was another little boy in the class who was younger (by several months) and he didn't mind getting dunked, but J hated it...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"