North Carolina Babies
Options

S/O Pacis....LONG

Im almost ready to throw in the towel on them and just take AT's away.

Here goes; I wanted to do it bf we moved but knew the move would be hard on him so I didnt plus I knew he was still teething. So since we have moved he has been "ok" on going down for naps and bedtime. He was def better this week than last. But the thing with him is that he knows he can throw everything out of the bed.....blankey, paci etc cry really hard and get me to come back up.

Im starting to realize this and that he does it on purpose to get me to come back in. It works fine at night for me to go up once and let him know Im still there but I know hes only crying for the paci that HE just threw out of the bed. So today I lay him down fo his nap.....tired as crap and he does the same thing. I go up but he does it again.

Its time to just get rid of them isnt it!? I think hes just using it as a crutch. At the old house he would just go to bed no questions asked and never throw things out of bed until he was ready to get up. He LOVED his room and bed....I know it will happen again but I just dont want to traumatize him more but I dont see the cylce breaking. Ive let him cry a little since I laid him down 10m ago. WWYD?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: S/O Pacis....LONG

• Options

I would not.  I think he just needs more time to get used to the new house.  I think if you tried to take it away now it would be an epic FAIL.  He NEEDS that comfort right now.  I know it sucks dealing with what he's doing, but I just really think it would be too much for you and him right now.  He's going to scream and cry when he doesn't have the paci right?  So you're not saving yourself any trouble.  It would just be too many changes at one time IMO. 

Can you stay up there with him until he falls asleep? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemrsmikey:

Can you stay up there with him until he falls asleep? 

This will also create a very bad habit. I have never been one to rock him to sleep etc. I do stand at the door and talk to him if I need to but I just think that is going to make it a habit as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, you've got to do something.  But I bet taking the paci away isn't going to make him go to sleep, kwim?  It's not about the paci, it's about him being in a strange place and needing comfort.  And I don't think if you stay up there with him it will create a bad habit.  I know it's terribly frustrating, but I just don't think that's the answer.  He just needs you right now.  Knowing you're there when he needs you will teach him confidence and independence.

• Options
    Sounds like he's hit the age where he'll do whatever he can to avoid going to sleep and he knows throwing things out of the crib will get your attention.  Natalie started at around 18 mo. also.  We eventually got to the point that if we knew something really wasn't the matter and she was just trying to get attention or avoid nap/bedtime, we wouldn't go back in the room and just let her fuss/cry it out. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know it's not recommended,  but have you thought about using a paci clip on him? We have the binkie bungee and DS has yet to yank it off.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    We got rid of the paci at 15 months best decision I ever made. He only used it at nap time and bed time at that point we did not let him walk around with it. With that being said, because he is in a new surrounding I'd wait a few more weeks then start the process. I do think it may be too much to handle at this point.  I would be firm with him and only go in there 1 or 2 times max if you know there is absolutely nothing wrong. He'll figure it out and not do it anymore.
  • Options

henry has like 6 or 7 pacis in his crib, and he does throw them out from time to time. however, once he gets down to his last paci, if he throws that one out, he's done until the next sleep time. personally, i wouldn't take it away, but i'd maybe pick it up once, and not again after that. the first time could be an accident, but after that, you'll know it's intentional.

he'll learn quick!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"