North Carolina Babies
Options

Those who have done swim lessons with your LO..

What did yours actually teach? Just splashing around? Going under the water? Ours start tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: Those who have done swim lessons with your LO..

• Options

At Holly's age - They taught them to hold their breath under water, to float on their back and how to get out of the pool.  They would try to get them to hold their breath for longer counts and to float longer on their backs.  They'd also work on basic skills to get them used to certain movements in the water like kicking and doing motions with their arms.  The big thing they were teaching was basic water skills so that if your LO fell in the water they would have a better chance at getting out.  Evidently a child's first instinct when they hit the wall of the pool is to push off.  They try to break that instinct.

You'll be surprised how fast she'll learn. It's fun!

• Options
    hmmm...that doesn't sound like our lessons but I do know there are two different types of lessons. One is survival based in case an accident happens (which is what speed sounds like she is describing) and the other is skills based (which is what we took). Alex was a tad younger than Holly when he took his but they learned to wait until a parent is in the water before they can get in, we learned proper holds, floating front and back, kicking, splashing and blowing bubbles....alex really did learn a lot and it so much fun! Expect her to be exhausted after the class.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Toads,

Didn't you go to Little Otters too?  That's where we go.  Miss Lauri, the owner, taught our class.  He's in a different class now where he goes in by himself - which is nice since I hated having to wrangle him out of a bathing suit, then wrangle myself out of a bathing suit before he made an escape while I was still half naked.

• Options

Hughes, where are you taking the class? I want DS to take lessons this summer.  Would you mind sharing with me what you liked or disliked about it when your class is over?  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I wanted to do Little Otter but couldn't justify the drive. We live near NL mall. We took at the Aquatic Center - it was so much closer for us. I think this year we will do private lessons at our neighborhood pool. I really like the aquatic center but he would be in the same class until he was 3...yawn.
  • Options
    imagewithoutshoes:

Hughes, where are you taking the class? I want DS to take lessons this summer.  Would you mind sharing with me what you liked or disliked about it when your class is over?  Thanks!

Rex Wellness Center.. I'll let you know how it goes!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    imageMrsHughesNC:
    imagewithoutshoes:

Rex Wellness Center.. I'll let you know how it goes!

Oohh...they just opened one of those by me! I will have to check it out for lessons!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The lessons we took taught basic skills like blowing bubbles under water, kicking their feet, entering the pool from the side jumping into the parents' arms, floating on their back, etc.

GL tomorrow!  I bet she will love it! :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"