North Carolina Babies
Options

Tips on car travel w/ small baby?

We're driving up to PA next Thursday for a 4 day visit, which we're so excited about! However, my Mommy-wheels have been turning for the past few weeks making my packing list and trying to plan ahead, etc. Some questions:

1. Any tips on the long car ride? It's about 7 hours, though we're assuming more frequent stops with Margo. My gut says if we get her out every 2 or so hours just to be out and about that'll help her. Her "exercise" right now is laying on the mat and staring at us and kicking and laughing... but I'm not sure where we could do this mid-trip...

2.  Should I sit in the back with her or up front? I haven't sat in the back w/ her since the first week, but maybe since it's a longer trip? IDK... I much prefer the front, but we will almost definitely need the backseat or passenger seat for stuff we're packing...

3.  Any other tips for car travel? Or travel in general?

Thanks!!!

Re: Tips on car travel w/ small baby?

• Options
    When DS was 3 mos. old we took a LOOONNNG car trip. We left really early when he woke up for a feeding and put him in his car seat right after. He slept from our house (outside of Raleigh) to Six Flags on the other side of Atlanta. I always sit up front. I've learned to but be careful of the seatbelt rubbing my hip when I turn around to check on him. I have 2 scars. Ouch!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1. Just be prepared to stop more frequently. At that age Luke still slept a lot so I would just try to keep moving when she is sleeping. We often got at least a 3 hour stretch out of him and I would hold it until I thought my bladder would burst if he was asleep!

2. I would play that by ear. If she is fussy you can always move to the back. I usually start out in the front and see what happens.

3. I don't have a lot of tips other than that. I do try to have an extra outfit or two and a few burp cloths handy so I don't have to dig through luggage for stuff. Have a great trip!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We took Savannah to Ohio when she was 3 months old ... let's just say - it was the EASIEST trip there that we have taken w/ her (it just gets harder as she gets older!). I honestly think she just slept a good bit of the way, and when she was awake I would climb in the back to "entertain" her. But for the most part, it was a pretty easy drive!
  • Options
    We went on a 5 hour car trip when Rosalyn was 6 weeks old and we had to stop twice to BF.  She did great until the last 30 min (of which we just so happened to be stuck in traffic!!).  She was lulled to sleep by the car almost automatically at that age when we were constantly going....the faster the better for her sleep : )
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"