Breastfeeding
Options

soap residue in breast milk?

so i noticed the milk was a little foamy in one of my pumps...Not too bad, was wondering if it was my pump (it has been known to be bubbly) but i am thinking i didn't rinse out the bottle enough. it gets a little frothier if I shake the bottle.  it is only 1.25 oz and I have "quarantined" it for now. lol

however, pumping is such a challenge for me, it kills me to throw any away. I typically collect my pump sessions and make a 6 oz bottle from it for daycare. My DS's other bottles are formula.

don't flame me, but do I have to toss this? Will soap residue be harmful to my almost 5 month old? It would be very diluted in the 6 oz bottle...

Re: soap residue in breast milk?

• Options
    If it is soap (which honestly it probably isn't) I would go ahead and throw the milk away.  Dish soap can give you diarreaha (sp?).  I doubt there is enough in there to affect DS but I wouldn't risk it.  However, before you throw it away, taste it.  If it tastes soapy, dump it.  Otherwise, it's probably fine. 
  • Options
    i was tempted to taste it, but have yet to do that. something about that kind of weirds me out!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Breastmilk can get frothy, for whatever reason. Chances are your milk is fine, but I'd taste a bit to be sure.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesunshine_77:
    i was tempted to taste it, but have yet to do that. something about that kind of weirds me out!

Don't worry about tasting it. Your LO is living on it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

https://www.bflrc.com/ljs/breastfeeding/shakenot.htm

1. You should not shake breastmilk.

2. To make things more confusing- it's very common for women to discover that their stored breastmilk tastes soapy, or metallic due to the lipase enzyme in the milk breaking down the fats...  I'd just be very careful to make sure you really rinse the pump parts well in the future to remove any shadow of doubt. 

3. You should try tasting your milk!- most women think it tastes like the sweet milk at the bottom of the cereal bowl.

• Options
    occasionally mine gets frothy too - i have not tasted it but i don't think it is soap
  • Options
    Mine gets frothy too sometimes it is not soap for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"