North Carolina Babies
Options

NBR: Paint roller marks?

I don't get how painters get the walls to look so smooth.  I just painted our guest room and you can see the roller marks when the light hits areas in a certain way.  Is there a trick to getting a smooth finish with painting?

I've decided blue tape is not useful -- I have so many touch ups to do on the trim from where the blue tape didn't hold well enough! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NBR: Paint roller marks?

• Options

I would try another coat.  Usually, when I add a second coat, you can't see the roller marks as well.  Also, use the "V" or "W," motion with your roller and it won't streak as bad.  Good luck!

• Options
    The quality of your roller makes a huge difference and  the amount of paint you keep on your roller.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What kind of paint are you using?  I usually use an eggshell (but have used a satin before) and never see roller marks.  I also use really good roller brushes. 

I don't use tape either.  I found it to be a huge waste of my time.  I'll use a really good quality angled brush to cut in with.

Baby J is here! Born on her mama's birthday.

11 pounds, 7 ounces and 23" long at birth!

My Bio

• Options
    imagemrsbluetoes:

I would try another coat.  Usually, when I add a second coat, you can't see the roller marks as well.  Also, use the "V" or "W," motion with your roller and it won't streak as bad.  Good luck!

Ditto this.  Don't use a straight up and down motion.  Make sure that you have plenty of paint on your roller and don't press against the wall too hard. 

• Options
    Sounds like maybe I didn't use enough paint and need another coat -- I so do not want to paint the walls again! :(  Darn.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Fully agree with the PPs - you need to use a good amount of paint and not press too hard.  But then, also look to be sure to roll over any drips on the wall you might make.

Also, there are different grades of blue tape.  The more expensive kind works much better, but it is, well, expensive.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"