Postpartum Depression

***Smudge's*Mom***

I read in the post below that you were diagnosed with ADD. My therapist thinks I may be ADD, which would link to my depression. If you don't mind me asking, what meds are you on? My Dr wants me to try Adderal/Zoloft combo. I am hesitant about the Adderol b/c it is an amphetamine and have read quite a few negative side effects. It just makes me nervous for some reason. The other meds I've tried don't seem to be working.

Thx

Re: ***Smudge's*Mom***

• Hey there!  Yup, I was diagnosed with ADD after nearly 10 years of being diagnosed with depression.  Once I started on the right ADD meds, my depression went away and I felt normal again for the first time in sooooo long.

I started on Ritalin (I felt like an 8 year old boy!).  It helped, but then I switched psychiatrists and he put me on Adderall.  OMG--it was fabulous.  For the first time in years (maybe forever), I felt like me again.  Yes, there are side effect--like the 20 pounds that I lost.  It is important to be monitored while taking it.  But, for me, the side effects are minimal (none that I can think of right now).

I am now on Vyvanse, which my current psychiatrist switched me onto because Adderall was causing tight feelings in my chest (made it a bit harder to breath, not chest pains).  My doc said that Vyvanse is the next generation of Adderall. 

Personally, I would give it a try.  I honestly feel like my ADD meds allow me to think clearly and to be me again.  Life is so much less hard.  Before my ADD diagnosis, my life was work, laundry and feeding myself.  Now, I have free time and life is not all about the tasks of living.

I am also on Pristiq for my PPD.  Back when I was struggling with depression, one doc prescribed Effexor for me.  It was the one antidepressant that really, really helped.  In retrospect, I think that Effexor treated my ADD too.  Well, Effexor had some pretty rough side effects for me, so ultimately, I had to stop taking it.  But, when I saw my psychiatrist for PPD, he asked what antidepressants worked well for me.  I told him and he suggested Pristiq because it is the next generation of Effexor.  It worked really well for me--though when I started on it, I felt really off.  But, after a week of taking it every other day, I started to feel really good.  So much so that when I went back on my ADD meds (Adderall at first, then the switch to Vyvanse), I didn't feel the boost that I expected because, I think, that the Pristiq was addressing some of my ADD needs.

Does any of this make sense?  I have not taken my Vyvanse yet (it has a very short half life, so you need to take Adderall/Vyvanse every day).  I am happy to answer any other questions or share my experiences.  I know what its like to live with ADD.  I'm glad you paged me!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for the info. I had PPD after my son was born mixed in with PPA/OCD (to an extent). I didn't start in anti-depressants until until my son was 4/5 months old, maybe? My OB put me on Zoloft which seemed to help. Then I started seeing a therapist and she suggested Luvox for my anxiety and compulsive cleanng. The Luvox upset my stomach and made me so sleepy I could barely function at work.

I switched to Pristiq about a month ago and it doesn't seem to be helping. I am back to being overly sensitive, impatient, lonely etc. You know the drill. My Dr asked me a bunch of questions and suggested I may be ADD. I don't know how you officially get diagnosed. She referred me to a psychiatrist with the suggestion of Adderall/Zoloft since the Zoloft seemed to help initially. I go next week to talk to him.

I was doing some reading on Adderall and I guess I was lworried b/c it is an amphetamine and of course I worry about addiction. I also read it seems to wear off quickly and most people take 2x a day or Adderal XR. I can't afford to lose any weight which I know can be a problem.

Have you had trouble sleeping at all? Like you I feel like I am just coasting through life and not ENJOYING life. I work, take care of DS and the house and that's about it. The relationship with my DH is BEYOND stressed and changes need to be made. It is just taking time finding the right meds.

Thx for your help.

PS My Drs office had a packet for Pristiq that included a small CD so you could receive 50% off your copay for the life that you take Pristiq. I used the disc and signed up online. Very easy. The info was also on the website for Pristiq.

• Loading the player...
  • And your little boy is beyond cute! Smile
  • I'm glad that you are going to see a psychiatrist.  S/he will certainly be able to help you.  One quick thing--if the psychiatrist doesn't seem to know much about adult ADD, you can consider seeing a child psychiatrist--they know more about ADD and they do see adults.  :o)

Its amazing how different meds work differently for different people.  As for addiction--when used properly, that should not be a problem.  I have not had any worry with that aspect.  As for the weight, talk with the psychiatrist.  It is a potential concern, but I'm sure the doc can help with that.

I understand the strain that can come from all that you are dealing with--then throw in some ADD (and other things) and it is hard.  Even if you don't have ADD (and the psychiatrist should be able to diagnose you), it sounds like there maybe something going on that the doc can help you address so that you can get back to enjoying life.

This book really helped me:  https://www.amazon.com/Women-Attention-Deficit-Disorder-Differences/dp/1887424970/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b  Something that you could do is read it and highlight the parts that really apply to you.  After you've done that, you can have your DH read it.  It may help him to understand what you are dealing with.  People who don't have ADD just can't grasp what it is like to live with such chaos in your mind.  Another resource is CHADD--Children and Adults with AD/HD.  When I was first diagnosed, I found a support group for adults with ADD.  It was great (until the moderator/leader moved and the new lady couldn't manage the group very well).  Anyway. . .

Feel free to PM me or page me.  I am so thankful for my ADD diagnosis.  Knowing why I am and feel the way that I do helps so much.  For so long, I thought that I was lazy, dumb and stupid.  Not so!  I have ADD!

And thanks for the compliment.  I am so blessed! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"