Baby Names

What do you think of the name Jocelyn?

My husband really likes it, and I don't hate it, which is pretty amazing considering we never agree on names. ?What nicknames could she have?

Re: What do you think of the name Jocelyn?

• I love it.

And why do you need to have a nickname that is a derivitave of her given name?  Why not something that has more meaning?

My daughter is Monkey for a couple reasons.  My sister is Bear because of her grizzly bear like personality in the am and care bear like personality in the afternoon (never wake the girl up early).  And my cousin is called Blue because of her most amazing blue eyes.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • CD+ALCD+AL member

It was our front-runner had DS been a DD.  The nn's we were considering/debating were Josie, Joey and Jo.  DH liked Josie, and I liked Joey.  Jo was just tossed in b/c we couldn't agree.

ETA: I forgot...Joss was a potential compromise nn that we both liked better than Jo.

• Loading the player...
  • I think Jocelyn is a beautiful name. I'm not sure of nicknames for it. I know my friend calls her little girl Baby J, but I think, as someone else pointed out, you can come up with another cute/fun nickname that has nothing to do with the given name.

• Love the name Jocelyn.  You could call her Joss or I even like Josh.  However, that being said...I always thought I'd call my Zachary...Zachy...but nope he is bubba or bubbles or something equally dumb as of right now. lol  (no worries...he is always Zach in public, lol)  Sometimes nicknames dont end up what you think they will.
  • I love Jocelyn. Possible nicknames: Joey, Josie, Lyn, Joss...

But I agree with pp - you don't have to go into naming a child with a planned nn, sometimes the best names are given when you know their personality.

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • NMS
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• It's pretty, just NMS.  I like Josie best as a nickname. 
  • I love that name. I don't personally know someone with that name so I don't have any nn suggestions.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • It's pretty, just NMS.

We know two Jocelyn's.  One goes by Jocie (Jah-cee) & the other goes by Jo-jo. 

Personally I would do Josie or Joey. 

• I absolutely LOVE it, but DH hates it Sad

• I really like it, I think it is pretty.

• I actually like it alot.  It's not really my naming style (I tend to prefer old lady names for girls) but I like it.  It's actually one of the few "-lyn" names for a girl that doesn't make me want to hurl. 

Nicknames I've heard are Joss and Jossie (Joss-y, not Josie). 

• Love it!  Jo, Josie
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Sounds kind of 70s to me.
  • I think it's beautiful. It's on our girl list right now. If we use it, we would mostly call her Jocelyn, but would use Joss for a nn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like it very much. Joss is cute for a nn, but love Jocelyn on its own.
  • Some nicknames have already been mentioned. The only Jocelyn I know goes by Jazz. To be fair, I think it started off as Joss. But Jazz rhymes with the first syllable of her last name. (Her dad is a teacher. He was always called by the first syllable of their last name. So I think people liked how their names rhymed.)
  • I think it is very pretty. I am not sure about nicknames though. Um Jocie, or Lynnie??
  • I think that it's adorable!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for all of the feedback! ?You mentioned some nicknames I had never thought of. ?I like them. ?:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"