Minnesota Babies

Question about choicing Dr. & Hospital.

I had a few questions about doctors & hospitals:

1.) Did you choice your doctor first or hospital first?
2.) Any doctor recommendations? Who and why did you choose them?
3.) What hospital did you choose & why?

Thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Question about choicing Dr. & Hospital.

• imageMrsHershey:

1.) Did you choice your doctor first or hospital first? I chose my doctor thru the pratice I have always gone to.  She did not deliver my baby.  The doctors on that day did.  I was fine with that.

3.) What hospital did you choose & why? I delivered at Regions.  I had the choice between St. Johns and Regions.  Regions was closer and they let me tour.  I had a really good expierence there and will deliver there again.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I chose my dr first- I chose to go with a midwife because I liked their birthing philosophy and wanted someone there with me during labor and not just delivery. It was also important for me to have someone deliver my baby that I had seen during my pre-natal visits. My midwife exceeded all my expectations during labor and delivery. I never expected her to spend as much time with me as she did but she literally stayed in my room from 7am-5pm and if it wasn't for her I probably would have ended up with a c-section.

I delivered at St. Johns and chose them because my midwife delivered at St. Johns or St. Joes. I was extremely happy with the care I received at St. Johns. The nurses were really nice.

Photo taken at 16 months old
  • Loading the player...
  • I suppose I chose the hospital first because it was based solely on geography.  I delivered at FV Ridges.  So, then I asked for recs for docs near my home, and they delivered there. 

I lvoe Southdale Peds.  All of them.  And they have offices in Edina and Burnsville, but really, it depends on where you live.

• 1. I guess somewhat both.  When I was looking for OB/GYNS, I knew there were a few hospitals I didn't want to deliver at. 

2.  Dr, Washbusch at Partners in Maplewood.  I chose the clinic because it is very pro-females (all women doctors and nurses).  I've really liked all the other doctors at the clinic too.

3. They use St. John's as their primary and Woodwinds as their secondary.  I had a good experience at St. John's and will deliver there again.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I chose my hospital, Woodwinds, first because it has excellent ratings, is close to our home, and recommended by my friend/doula.

Then I chose my OB office (which has two doctors and two midwives) because they deliver at Woodwinds, and came very highly recommended by my neighbor.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks for all the responses.  I think I have found a doctor who I will see next week.  My sister told me to be sure to ask what their % of C-Sections are.  If the ratio is high, she said that it may show that they tend to give up fast.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I pretty much picked hospital/clinic first. Where I always went is a 40 min drive from here, just to the clinic. I figured I should find a doctor closer to home anyways. I didn't like the idea of going 40min all the time, and it's even farther from work.

This way I'm closer to home, much easier to set appointments. The clinic is attached to the hospital. 

I think it's called New River Hospital - Monticello/Big Lake

BFP #1 on cycle 19, 6/13/09, blighted ovum discovered on 8/3/09
    BFP #2 3/1/10 yay for seeing the baby and seeing hb at 6w! Found at on 4/26/10 that the baby had stopped growing at 7w
    BFP #3 11/19/11
    Baby Boy Bruce born 7/21/12
    Check out my blog!
  • 1 & 3 - I chose my doctor and hospital at the same time.  We are going with Lakeview, it is close and the OB/GYN is connected to the hospital.

2 - Where are you?  Do you want to be close to your home?  It might help to have some items you are looking for...I looked at our insurance company's website for info as to who was "in network" and ratings they rec'd.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It depends on what's important to you.  I love my gyno, but the hospital she delivers at has a 37% c-section rate, and while I respect the need for that sometimes, a rate that high points towards more medical intervention than is generally necessary.  (the World Health Organization recommends keeping the numbers below 15% !! ) So, I will see her for exams after LO is born, but we opted for using a midwife and finding someone who would support a less-is-more approach to medical intervention, and really honor the way we wanted to birth this child, while still keeping safety in mind. 
  • 1. I guess it's kind of a combo for me. The clinic I've gone to my whole life has everything right there...family practice, OB, pediatrics, dental, lab...everything. In addition, they deliver at Regions. I wanted to stay at my current clinic, and I've known many people who've used Regions for many things, so I felt most comfortable going there. So, kind of one in the same here.

2. When I got pregnant with DD, I'd never seen an actual OB before. WHen I called to make my first prenatal appointment, I basically let them pick somebody based on when I was available...they set me up with a midwife, and I loved her, so I've stuck with her. I got to HealthPartners St. Paul and see Ann Dorhman.

3. Pretty much answered this above...Regions, because I was most comfortable with it. Sticking with it this time as well.

Ashley & Christian
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"