Birth Stories
Options

Preston's Birth Story-long

Preston Jontaye?s Birth Story

I went to bed on March 9, 2010 after having mild discomfort the majority of the day. Throughout the night I experienced cramping and it would even wake me up. Around 3:30a I went to the bathroom and noticed what looked like mucous on the tissue. I lain back down and tried to sleep but continued to be awakened each time I had ?cramping?. Around 5:30a I got up, showered and then told J that I thought I was having contractions. His reply, which I will never forget, was to ?Lay back down?. I convinced him that something was actually happening (we both thought we had at least another week) and he got up and showered while I continued to get dressed. I called my mother around 6:30a and told her what was happening. She told me to give her a call back once we?d spoken with the OB.

I then called Dr. Roberts to tell her about my cramps/contractions. She seemed reluctant to believe me initially until I explained that the ?cramps? were around 5 minutes apart, increasing in intensity and that I was not able to talk through them. She told me to head in to L&D. We called my mother who said she?d meet us there.

--Okay, at this point I realize that something is actually happening. I was thinking that I would be checked and sent back home. Plus, I had a huge project due that afternoon---

Once I was hooked up to the monitors it was discovered that I had indeed been having contractions. They were 1.5 minutes apart. I was already aware of this as DH and I timed them in the car on the way to the hospital. The nurse was quick to say that I would be having a baby that day! I labored on pain meds (forgot the name?may have been Stadol) for a few hours before being given the epidural. I was roughly 4.5cm at that point. Just as the anesthesiologist was about to give the epi Dr. Roberts returns and wants to break my water. The nurse, the awesome Candice, stated that the epi was about to be given. Dr. Roberts was adamant about breaking my water first even though it would have been a lot less painful after the epi was administered. Dr. Roberts started the process of trying to break my water. It hurt like holy hell! I was crawling all over the bed b/c I was in such pain. She kept telling me to relax but it was next to impossible. I could sense the frustration on her face and in her voice, so much so that I began to cry. She soon stopped trying. After a failed attempt I was given the epi. Around 30 minutes later Dr. Roberts returned and broke my water?I didn?t feel it. I was around 6cm at this point. We continued to labor painlessly, thanks epi, as family came a left.  I stalled at 9.5cm as there was a lip of cervix left. In an attempt to push past the lip I pushed for roughly 30 minutes as Dr. Roberts removed the lip. At a full 10cm the family was allowed to come back in and say their goodbye?s before 2 became 3!

DH, I and the second L&D nurse, the awesome Nicole, pushed for 2 hours with very little progress. To add to this was the fact that PJ?s little heart rate would decelerate with each round of pushing. To combat this I pushed on my back, both sides and all fours. I was also starting to regain feeling in my right side?a very strange feeling.

It was at this point that Dr. Roberts recommended a c/section. She felt like the process wasn?t pushing him out but simply stressing him out. I will note that I began to feel more pressure on my right side at this point. 30 minutes and maybe 30 people rushing around later,

Preston Jontaye Samuels was born at 7:49pm. He weighed 6lbs, 15ounces and was 20 inches long.

During the procedure J sat to my left and held my hand.  Once PJ was out he went with the nurses to check him out and take pictures. PJ scored an 8 and a 9 on his APGAR?he?s an over-achiever already! As I was being put back together I continued to feel more pressure on the right side.

After the procedure we were wheeled back into the L&D room. PJ was then checked over by the nurse and given a bath. J stayed with him and took more pictures. She said he looked perfect and gave him to me. I gave him skin-to-skin contact which was the most serene thing I think I?ve ever experienced.

At around 10p I was taken to my room and the family was allowed to come into the room and meet him. The evening ended without problems. Around 3a I was awakened by nurses saying that they needed to press on my stomach?um?after a c/s? They informed me that my blood pressure had plunged to 60/40 and that there were trying to figure out where the bleeding was coming from. Throughout the night several nurses to continued pressing on my stomach at various times?it was torture. On 3/11 I was given a CT-Scan which revealed that I had a hematoma in my stomach and that that contributed to the blood levels dropping. I was given 2 pints of blood. The day after, 3/12 I the CT-Scan was redone and although the bleeding had stopped, fluid was discovered on my lungs?I had developed pneumonia. I was given several rounds of antibiotics to help release the fluid and I was also given a device to blow into.

The pain from all of the aforementioned happenings continued and I was released from the hospital on 3/15.

I have been slowly getting better yet on 3/17 my temperature spiked to 102.8 and I began to have chills and fever. I called the OB?s office and was told to take Tylenol for the fever and to call back if it didn?t subside. Over the next few days it slowly decreased to an acceptable number. To add to all of this I think I have a UTI as well as hemorrhoids, small potatoes considering what I?ve been through.

Today, 3/20 I fell the best I have since going into the hospital. I have taken care of PJ on my own all day and I feel good about it?I?m finally on the mend and PJ was well worth it!

Re: Preston's Birth Story-long

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"