Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Do you think it's unethical to use IVF for a particular gender?

Re: Do you think it's unethical to use IVF for a particular gender?

• Options
    Depends on whether you have ethics concerns about IVF in general (i.e., you think it's "acceptable" in some cases and "wrong" in others). I don't have a problem with it as long as it's privately funded.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No, to be honest I don't really care if the person has the money.

Now to use IVF to have 823 kids then get a reality show, that IMO is wrong. 

• Options

I don't know if I'd say it's unethical, but I do think it's the beginning of a slippery slope.

I think it's fine when there's a possibility of a genetic disorder related to sex, but just because you want a kid of a particular sex? Not cool, IMO.

• Options
    imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:

I don't know if I'd say it's unethical, but I do think it's the beginning of a slippery slope.

I think it's fine when there's a possibility of a genetic disorder related to sex, but just because you want a kid of a particular sex? Not cool, IMO.

At the risk of being ripped to shreds, the slippery slope began with IVF, period.  Nevermind gender issues.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Nope.
    image Josephine is 4.
  • Options
    Unethical....no.  But, for me it would be too much like playing God.
  • Options

No, but I wouldn't do it.

I'd rather people do ivf for a certain gender than do it the old fashioned way and abort the undesirable sex.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I agree with this.  There is a great article in the current economist about the lack of girls in certain countries (the examples in the article were they either kill baby girls right after they're born, or the families with more money abort based on an ultrasound), but I can't help but feel that as more people in those countries get more money, they'll start using IVF to ensure they have a boy.  It's better than killing or aborting a girl; however, I am still not comfortable with using IVF purely to choose the sex of the baby.

• Options
    I don't think it's unethical, but I wouldn't choose to do it.
  • Options

imageMEJ2008:
    I don't think it's unethical, but I wouldn't choose to do it.

Same.  As an IVF Mom, I don't think it would be a good fit for me/us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Nope. 

I am THRILLED to have a 2nd boy on the way...I really, truly couldn't be happier. But I still very much want a daughter someday. We haven't decided on 3 or 4 kids yet, but we will be looking into both adoption and IVF for a girl if we never conceive one naturally. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to have the experience of raising both sexes. You only get one life. 

Aidan Jake 7/25/08 Cooper Cole 7/27/10 Tessa Morgan 8/9/12
  • Options

I don't like the slippery slope it creates, but no I don't find it to be 100% unethical. When it is to avoid sex-specific anomalies, I am fine with it. I would also rather see this happen than the 'wrong' sex be aborted (though I am pro-choice).

Tough one.

• Options
    imageMrsJuneHawk:

At the risk of being ripped to shreds, the slippery slope began with IVF, period.  Nevermind gender issues.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This is me laughing at your ignorance. Now, I am going to shake my head and roll my eyes as I walk away.  

• Options

eh.  i think some things are better left to god, fate, chance, destiny (whatever it is you believe in).  i wouldn't ever do it b/c i don't think it's particularly ethical unless there's a gender specific medical condition you're trying to avoid. 

i think it's a slippery slope.  the next step from that is picking eye color, hair color, personality traits, etc....i'm not a big fan of "build-a-baby".

• Options

Now on to the original question:

I don't have a problem with it, but I don't necessarily agree with it either. If that makes any sense at all. :) 

• Options
    imagejenifairies:

No, but I wouldn't do it.

I'd rather people do ivf for a certain gender than do it the old fashioned way and abort the undesirable sex.

this is true too.  i didn't look at it that way.  i totally agree.

• Options
    Not necessarily.  However, if this happened in mass quantities in certain countries where particular genders are desired over others...it could lead to what some are calling Gendercide.  The death of an even population of people that can continue to create future generations...  An interesting thought.
  • Options
    imageAly07:
    imageMrsJuneHawk:

This is me laughing at your ignorance. Now, I am going to shake my head and roll my eyes as I walk away.  

i don't know why the insane laughter, but i sort of *get* what she's saying.  it's in response to the "slippery slope" argument of gender selection b/c it's "playing god", but the slippery slope could begin with IVF.

I mean, i'm all for IVF in general, but I'm un-biased enough to see the argument being made.

• Options

imageCFO:
    Not necessarily.  However, if this happened in mass quantities in certain countries where particular genders are desired over others...it could lead to what some are calling Gendercide.  The death of an even population of people that can continue to create future generations...  An interesting thought.

That has already happened.  There are some countries with highly skewed gender ratios. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageiris427:

imageCFO:

That has already happened.  There are some countries with highly skewed gender ratios. 

My point was that with the introduction of selection prior to "conception" would increase, and add new countries to the list...potentially.

• Options
    imagevioletvirgo:
    imageAly07:
    imageMrsJuneHawk:

i don't know why the insane laughter, but i sort of *get* what she's saying.  it's in response to the "slippery slope" argument of gender selection b/c it's "playing god", but the slippery slope could begin with IVF.

I mean, i'm all for IVF in general, but I'm un-biased enough to see the argument being made.

The slipper slope began with advanced medical technology, NOT IVF. 

People "play God"  all the time. Organ transplants, creating new drugs to cure and prevent diseases, reattaching limbs that have been severed. HeIl, some people even consider using birth control as "playing God". No one has a problem with any of these things.  However, IVF get the "playing God" crap all the time. I can see how it can fit into that category, however my problem is when people support a cure/treatment for aids, cancer, and every other 100% worthy cause out there, but a treatment for infertility is frowned upon. 

.This issue is close to my heart. So I will not apologize for being passionate about it, Consider yourself TRULY LUCKY that you have the ability to be "un-biased" about this topic.  

This was not a thread specifically about the merits of IVF, but rather a thread about gender selection during IVF. I found it hysterical that someone had to chime in with an unnecessary opinion about IVF in general.Although here I am harping on it. So there, I am done now, I have put my soap box away for the day.

• Options

Yes, I think it's unethical.

• Options
    KGskyKGsky member
    Nope.? But I'm not sure why you would draw the line once you're going down the IVF road.? I could definitely see choosing not to use it for gender to keep some of the mystery, but if you wanted to, why not?
  • Options
    No, it would be unethical if a couple would then terminate the pregnancy if it failed to give the couple their desired sex. 
  • Options

imageKGsky:
    Nope.  But I'm not sure why you would draw the line once you're going down the IVF road.  I could definitely see choosing not to use it for gender to keep some of the mystery, but if you wanted to, why not?

For what its worth, most Dr's won't do gender selection.  It's actually considered pretty taboo in the IVF world. Of course there are Drs/labs that will do it though.  PGD was designed to test for genetic abnormalities not gender, although it can do both. PGD is not standard in IVF and usually costs several thousand dollars more on top of your already super expensive IVF fees. 

• Options
    KGskyKGsky member
    imageAly07:

imageKGsky:
    Nope.? But I'm not sure why you would draw the line once you're going down the IVF road.? I could definitely see choosing not to use it for gender to keep some of the mystery, but if you wanted to, why not?

For what its worth, most Dr's won't do gender selection. ?It's actually considered pretty taboo in the IVF world. Of course there are Drs/labs that will do it though. ?PGD was designed to test for genetic abnormalities not gender, although it can do both. PGD is not standard in IVF and usually costs several thousand dollars more on top of your already super expensive IVF fees.?

So I've heard, but I really think that's more for the doctor's benefit than anyone elses.? They want to maintain the appearance of not interfering with nature at least not unnecessarily or more than they have to, so THEY draw the line there, but honestly, unless it's harmful, I don't really see where it's "wrong."? Of course, I think a previous poster pointed out something about skewed gender ratios...so...perhaps there is a line to be drawn somewhere.? I just feel like people's desires for one sex or the other would even out as well.??
  • Options
    Unethical?  No.  Kinda sad?  Yes. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"