Houston Babies
Options

My little guy has jaundice

When we left the hospital last Wednesday they said he was border line (8.5). The next day at the pedi 3 day old exam the dr guessed he was about a 10, but thought it would go away since my milk came in. We took him back yesterday and he was a 16. We have to go in today for another blood draw.

Unlike most jaundice babies, Evan doesn't sleep much. Well, he is right now, but he is usually screaming/crying. We can't put him down for a second without crying that turns into spitting up - a lot. DH and I each had spit up all over us yesterday at least twice. Evan even spit up while I was sponge bathing him from his prior episode. I think all of this is because he doesn't feel well.

I just want him to be okay. I worry about this impacting him long term if his levels don't improve.

Anyone have experience with this?

Lisa, didn't your DD have this issue?

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

Re: My little guy has jaundice

• Options

I know how hard this is.  I've been there.  It sucks!  When you bring him in the morning, if he hasn't improved, I'd insist on getting a bed or blanket for him to be under those lights so he can get better soon.  Dylan was a level 19 the day after we got home from the hospital, so we had to spend another night in the hospital for him to go under the lights.  We were so upset, and I felt like such a failure.  But, the lights were so much harder on us than him.  It was nice and warm under them, and Dylan just loved that warmth and slept so great.  I did have to give him formula during that time even though my milk had come in.  They had me pump and give him what I could get and then supplement with formula.  It's important to make sure he's getting plenty of fluids right now, as the extra bilirubin comes out in his urine and stools.  Make sure he's getting as much time in indirect sunlight that he can.  Make your house a little warmer, dress him in a diaper and socks and lay with him in front of a window or put his bassinet in front of a window, etc.

Good luck!  I hope he's better soon.  I know how hard this is, but know it's VERY common and you aren't doing anything wrong.  You're doing good by making sure he's getting treatment if he needs it!

After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageSigmundsGirl:

When we left the hospital last Wednesday they said he was border line (8.5). The next day at the pedi 3 day old exam the dr guessed he was about a 10, but thought it would go away since my milk came in. We took him back yesterday and he was a 16. We have to go in today for another blood draw.

Unlike most jaundice babies, Evan doesn't sleep much. Well, he is right now, but he is usually screaming/crying. We can't put him down for a second without crying that turns into spitting up - a lot. DH and I each had spit up all over us yesterday at least twice. Evan even spit up while I was sponge bathing him from his prior episode. I think all of this is because he doesn't feel well.

I just want him to be okay. I worry about this impacting him long term if his levels don't improve.

Lisa, didn't your DD have this issue?

Yes...and it was very stressful for me only because I have personal issues with loves one having jaundice and just brought back memories.  But it's very common for babies to have it. 

Feed every 2-3 hours so he can poop out the billirubin.  The more feeding, the more poop.  Most Dr's recommend you that you supplement formula for this reason, but if your supply is coming in, I wouldn't think you would have to.

The hardest thing was going to the hospital everyday (because I had to drive all the way to Woman's).  We went at least 5 days straight, and on the 3rd day, I requested the biliblanket because I just needed some comfort that I had something to help her out (there was no sun!)  At a week old, her bili dropped down to 9.5 and then completely went away after that. 

www.bilitool.org is a really good website to see what risk group your son is in.  Ally was a 8.7 at day 2  (low risk) at the hospital and on day 3, she was 14.9 (high risk)!  

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am sorry you are going through this. I want to say that the pedi told me that bili counts are at their peak at about 7-8 days old and then start tapering off after that. Also is it possible that reflux could be to blame for the spit up and you not being able to put him down with out him crying?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry about your little man.  Abbie was jaundice and had to stay a few extra days under the lights after she was born.  They let us go home as long as we would put her in the sun whenever possible.  I put her in her chair by the window on a super sunny day and she fell asleep .... and woke up with a sunburn. :-(  So be careful if you do time in the sun!  She was fine, but I felt like the worst Mom ever.
    Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • Options
    Poor thing, I hope he recovers from it quickly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Are you taking any medication?  Elysabeth was hypoglycimic and it caused her to become jaundice.  Turns out I was taking Metformin (I have PCOS) and it was in my milk causing her sugar levels to be lowered. 

Turns out there haven't been enough studies conducted on the use of Metformin and babies being affected by breast milk.   

Just a thought!  Hope he get's better soon.

Delia

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    imageSigmundsGirl:

Reading this post felt like deja vu for me----you are describing Eileen exactly. Her levels got up to 13 before they came back down and she was yellow for almost 2 months. My pedi told me to feed every 2-3 hours and to take her on what I termed "naked baby walks" in the sunshine.  I literally stripped her down to her diaper and layed her in her stroller and we walked outside in the sunshine for 10 minutes each day.  We tried to put her near the sun in our home, but we don't get direct sunlight so it was pointless.  We only had to go to the hospital twice to have her levels checked, but I had friends whose pedi's required them to go more often.

Eileen screamed at us for the first 4 months. She also spit up upwards of 20 times a day until the past month or so. She has worn a bib all day/night since she was born--it has been such a pain.  Eileen needed probiotics and reflux medicine.  It didn't help her spitting up, but it did change her screams to those of pain to those of anger.  Neither scream was easy to hear, but it made me feel better to know she wasn't in pain. It also made me crazy to know she was screaming at me for a reason I couldn't find.

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at kelly11377@yahoo.com   I was in hell those first few months and it seems like everyone had a different opinion on what was wrong with her and I tried everything I could that was suggested.  The main thing that helped me was talking to people who had been through it.  Good luck and I hope your LO feels better soon!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"