Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Stringy Poop

DDs poop has been stringy/sticky today.  Could this be a sign of sickness? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Stringy Poop

• Options

I just got an email from Web MD about this...let me look.

You will change about 2,300 diapers this year. If you are like most parents, you will be fascinated by what you see. I am going to warn you right now: This newsletter is not to be read while you eat your breakfast! Let me give you my four poop rules.

Rule No. 1: Baby poop doesn't look like yours. The first poop is called meconium. It's black, tarry, and sticky (and somewhat difficult to clean off your baby's hiney). As your newborn starts to eat, he has dark green "transitional" poop. After that, you'll see green and pasty poop if your baby is formula fed or yellow and seedy (like fancy mustard) poop if your baby is breastfed. Formula-fed newborns usually poop at least once a day. Breastfed newborns usually poop more than that (sometimes with every feeding).

Rule No. 2: Your baby is allowed to have an off day, even if his pooping pattern is fairly predictable. Your breastfed baby might have a fluorescent green poop. Your formula fed baby might decide not to poop for 36 hours. That's OK. As for the poop color, any shade of yellow, green (yes, even fluorescent green), or brown is normal. As for the poop frequency, your baby can take a few days off from pooping as long as he is comfortable, eating well, and continuing to urinate. Just be prepared for the mother lode when he decides it is time to clean out!

Rule No. 3: Poop that looks mucousy, stringy, or streaked with blood needs to be checked out. Some babies (even those who are breastfed) can develop an allergy to cow's milk protein. Their odd poop may be the first sign of this food allergy. Bring your baby and a fresh poopy diaper to your pediatrician to investigate.

Rule No. 4: If your baby has a poop that looks like yours, he's constipated. Until a baby eats solid foods (around 6 months of age), his poop should be soft, pasty, or mushy. If your baby has firm, solid poop (especially if it hurts to pass it), he needs a little help. Ask your pediatrician for her advice, but I suggest a teaspoon of prune juice mixed with breast milk or formula to get things moving. And taking your baby's temperature with a rectal thermometer also does the trick!

• Options

oh...and the credit:

by Dr. Ari Brown, co-author of the best-selling baby books Baby 411 and Toddler 411, an official spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics and a leading child healthcare advocate.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Big JBig J member
    Thank you SO much!  I sure hope it's not a milk allergy.  I love my cheese!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If LO also has a stuffy nose, it's more likely it's a cold rather than a milk allergy
  • Options
    My LO sometimes has this as well. My LC told me it's due to an overactive letdown and oversupply of milk therefore LO gets too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk.
  • Options
    I forgot to say- it also happens mostly in the morning when my LO has gone longer between feedings during the night and my breasts are full. A milk allergy has additional symptoms like fussiness, frequent feedings, rash around anus etc...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"