Minnesota Babies
Options

Child Care

How soon should you start looking for child care?  I am expecting my first in early September and I am anxious to get organized and get information.  I am sure a lot of places will want to meet the child (not sure how much they can gage from an infant) but I understand.  Just want to know when people went out and actually started looking at places.  I have been looking online but really want to start going into some places to see what it's about and get an idea of cost etc. 

Re: Child Care

• Options

I would definitely start now.  I know a lot of places have waiting lists. 

We are going to use my next door neighbor who does in home day care and we almost didn't get in because I waited too long.  Luckily for me she had another family drop out because they're moving!  If you're going to do in home daycare remember they can only take a certain number of infants and kids. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

You should start looking right now.  Infant spots are the hardest to get.  Daycares really don't care about meeting the child, I can't imagine why they would want to meet an infant before you registered.

After the child is born, they'll probably want you to drop him/her off for a few hours at a time to get him/her used to them/try it out... but that's it.  There's no reason to wait until the baby is born to start looking.

Good luck!!

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with others - start looking now.

If you wait, it will be easier to find a spot at a center than a home daycare, but no guarantees.

Also, I have never heard of a daycare wanting to meet a brand new infant before enrolling, but I definitely know of home daycares that want to meet kids before they enroll.  Due to the small group size, they like to make sure the kid/family is a good fit.  (with home daycares, the provider is generally interview the family just as much as the family is interviewing the provider)

• Options
    You can start looking now.  However, be prepared if you're looking at in-home daycares and they tell you it's too early to tell (I'm not sure how far along you are).  I started looking when I was about 12 weeks along and a lot of places told me to call back two to three months before I was due to get a better sense for their openings. 
    imageimage

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• Options
    we are due late august. we have made several phone calls to in home day cares and most of them should have a good idea if they have an opening when you need.  we are not opting for a childcare center, but if that is the route you are taking, i have been told to start sooner than later because sometimes there are long lists to get into daycare centers.  we are interviewing in home providers this week and hope to have eveything solidified before the big u/s on april 7th. good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"