High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lovenox- beveled edge?

I saw someone mention this in another post?  i've only been giving these shots for 2 weeks- is there a trick i don't know.  i've noticed that sometimes i want to cry just inserting the needle and sometimes i feel nothing at all(except the medicine burn)  i thought it was skin thickness in different areas, but maybe not?  thanks so much

Re: Lovenox- beveled edge?

• Options

when giving an injection, the needle should go in bevel up.  meaning the slanted part facing up.   now, I've given hundreds, if not more , subcutaneous injections over the last 11years...  lovenox, heparin, insulin....  sometimes, it just hurts.  I've heard many complain of a burn while heparin is injected, not with the puncture. Not sure with lovenox.  I don't give it as frequently as I do heparin.  and many of my patients are intubated and/or on sedation.

if it's really bothersome to you, you can try an icepack before injecting yourself. 

GL 

• Options

It's not awful- just anything i can do to make it potentially less painful is better!  and the burn is the meds going in- sorry if i'm not too clear.

Ive never looked at the needle direction so i am definetly gonna take this advice.  THANK you so much

Ice pack before made it hurt worse in my opinion. ;)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I found that some spots just hurt more than others, too.  I would kind of poke around with the needle to find a less sensitive spot, if that makes sense. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageaglenn:
    I found that some spots just hurt more than others, too.  I would kind of poke around with the needle to find a less sensitive spot, if that makes sense. 

This.  I've definitely noticed some spots are more sensitive to the needle poke than others.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have found that some spots hurt more than others too.  I figure when it hurts right away maybe I'm on a nerve or something.  I always give me shot in my love handles but I also lightly poke around a little to find a less painful spot to give my shot. 

I noticed the comment in another post about having the beveled edge up and I tried that a couple times and it doesn't feel any different - better or worse - if the beveled edge is up or down.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"