Preemies
Options

max weight for preemie clothes?

We just did an inventory of our baby clothes and we have 17 preemie onesies, a few assorted preemie shirt/pants outfits, and 5 preemie sleep gowns (with the elastic at the bottom). We have way more newborn and 0-3 clothes. I of course have no idea how much the babies will weigh once they come home, and I have no idea if this is enough clothing for them. So my question is - at what weight did your babies typically outgrow the preemie clothes?

thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: max weight for preemie clothes?

• Options
    I think they fit until between 5 and 6 pounds (depending on the brand).  We didn't use many onesies, we used a lot of the footed sleepers (also called sleep and plays) with snaps due to the apnea monitor.  You may want to invest in a few of those, we loved them.  Since preemies are so little, you have to keep them bundled up so a onesie never seemed enough to me...
  • Options

imagemhop:
    I think they fit until between 5 and 6 pounds (depending on the brand).  We didn't use many onesies, we used a lot of the footed sleepers (also called sleep and plays) with snaps due to the apnea monitor.  You may want to invest in a few of those, we loved them.  Since preemies are so little, you have to keep them bundled up so a onesie never seemed enough to me...

good point. I  know we have footed sleepers, but can't remember what sizes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You could also buy preemie size pants to go with the onesies...I just was so paranoid about keeping her warm that I think she was rarely in just a onesie unless we were outside in the heat or something.
  • Options

I think it was around 6lbs as well. Ditto to the preemies getting cold. We live in minnesota so that plays a part, but we always had Evan in a onsie, hat, socks, footed sleeper, and usually a blanket. He got cold so fast we put a space heater in the bathroom for baths.....ahhh, the memories : )

Becky

• Options

My preemie stuff goes up to around 7lbs.  My girls are that now and they are just starting to get out of them.

I agree:  all my preemie stuff was footed onsies.  For twins, we probably had about ten of them, and that worked out fine. 

• Options
    our footed onesies lasted to 6lbs ds was short so i didnt have to worry about length. then he went to baby gap clothes nb size and wore that till 8lbs (some of it he started wearing at 3lbs so it flux alot!) i think it all works out when they come and you will figure out what works. the only thing that i loved to death were the carters footie pjs and i still have them to this day in all kinds of sizes/
  • Options
    I think DD was in hers until about 7lbs, but she tends to stay in sizes longer than other kids do...like I asked this question about when people transitioned to 0-3 clothes and most said around 9lbs and DD wasn't fully into 0-3 until more like 10+lbs.
  • Options

It depends on the brand a lot. The Carter's stuff is big, I think he was in those until 7ish pound.
    Gerber stuff is small.. probably 5 pounds. Most stuff somewhere in the middle.

We used onesies and footed sleepers. I actually layered him. Robbie came home at a little under 4.5 pounds and still had a lot of trouble staying warm. He was usually in a long sleeve onesie & socks under a fleece footed sleeper, with a hate and double swaddled. He had a lot of trouble staying warm even under the heat lamps, though. Once he hit 6 pounds, things got a lot easier and by 8 pounds, he was sweating all the time. 

• Options
    Right now my 6lb 3oz baby is just getting out of preemie clothes and into newborn sizes. Her 5lb 4oz sister is still in preemie clothes, but some of the smaller ones are getting on the short side for her, I'm guessing she'll be out of them as well at around 6lbs.
    TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My preemies were 34 weekers and around 5 lbs but they were too long for preemie clothes. We went straight to newborn size. They were 18.5 and 19 in when they were born. So for us it wasn't a weight issue but a length issue.
  • Options

about 5 lbs. He was in Gerber nb onesies from 4 lbs, until now, and he is 11 lbs (the gerber onesies just got worn for the last time. Carters nb he still fits in.

Just a tip- in the nicu, because of the babies monitors, it is easier to put clothes on by putting their legs through, rather than over their heads. Things that are a little bit big work great for this! I wouldn't worry too much!

• Options

My guy was born at 35 weeks. ?He was 5lbs2oz and stayed in preemie clothes until about 6 lbs. ?He was 18 inches and the length is what got us too. ?He still doesn't fill out the newborn clothes but he needs the leg room in the footie pjs which is what I keep him in mostly for warmth.

I think we only had about 4-5 preemie outfits.?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    My fter was born at 5lbs 12 oz, lost a little in the hospital, but wore preemies clothes for at least a month.  He was 9 lbs at 6 weeks, so for him at least 6-7 lbs.  I think that length is more important...he was a shorty
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"