Baby Names
Options

How would you pronounce Eva

I know a lot of people say "eeevah" but in Spanish it's "eyvah" like Ava.  How would you pronounce it?

[Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How would you pronounce Eva

• Options
    It depends. If I'm talking with my Irish friends, it's Ee-va. If I'm talking with my Spanish-speaking friends, it's Ay-va.

Basically, it's one of those names you don't know how to say until the person tells you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageLovedByHim316:
    I think with Ava so popular, the second pronunciation is pretty much extinct.

Agree. I think the second option you put is much more aligned with the "Ava" spelling.

I like both, but can't use them because it sounds horrible with my last name. :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pronounce it like Ava, but I could see it either way.
  • Options
    If youre going for the ey-vah pronunciation I would spell it Ava. Otherwise I think everyone will read it as Ee-vah.
  • Options
    in Spanish the letter E is pronounced Ay.  For example Eva Mendes' name is actually pronounced Ay-va,
  • Options
    imagemj.reilly:
    I say it more of Ee-vuh.
    this
    In memory of precious Julia, sweet baby James, and now Timmy who fought so hard.

Natural miscarriage - April 2009 ~ We love you, 'Blueberry'
    Lydia, born July 12, 2010
    Labor buddy to Kelly0615
  • Options

imageLadyB09:
    in Spanish the letter E is pronounced Ay.  For example Eva Mendes' name is actually pronounced Ay-va,

Actually, I saw her on TV saying, "My name is not AY-va, and it's not EE-va.  It's EH-va!"  I think she's the only one though.  Eva Longoria pronounces it Ay-va, and most people without Hispanic ties would say Ee-va. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageKentuckyKate:

imageLadyB09:

Actually, I saw her on TV saying, "My name is not AY-va, and it's not EE-va.  It's EH-va!"  I think she's the only one though.  Eva Longoria pronounces it Ay-va, and most people without Hispanic ties would say Ee-va. 

AY and EH are the same sound to me... 

• Options

Most of what I have seen in the states is EEEvah.  But I have known eeyvahs from Europe.

• Options
    I would pronounce it Eeevah.  This was one of our top names for DD #2, but I couldn't deal w/ the prononciation problem her entire life...so I nixed it.
  • Options
    imageKentuckyKate:

imageLadyB09:

Yes, this is true... my grandmother is Eva.... pronounced Eh-va.  Not AY-va.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    This is DH's and I's biggest problem right now. ?If we have a girl AY-va is our first choice but I'm not a terribly huge fan of the way you spell Ava...but I love the spelling Eva.

0Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would say it eevah, but I have a friend from Germany and for the longest time I thought her name was Ayfah, but it's actually spelled Eva.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"