Oregon Babies

Anyone have a c-section? Come in!

Just looking for good stories/vibes, as I found out yesterday I have to have a c-section due to a breech baby. It's always been my worst fear, just because I've never had surgery and am terrified of it (it's the being awake part that gets me, although I know you can't feel it). I'm entirely for getting the baby out however the baby needs to come out, and realize for us, it's going to be c-section, so I know I need to come to terms with it. It's scheduled in two weeks, would love to hear anyone else's experience (although if you had an awful one, not sure I can handle that right now!)-- oh and I'm delivering at Good Sam.

Thanks everyone!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have a c-section? Come in!

• I had an emergency c/s and I was really scared beforehand, having a c/s was a HUGE fear of mine.

I had an amazing experience, and a great recovery.  Next baby, I will be scheduling a c/s, and I'm not scared at all for it.

Here's the process (for me at least): They take you in by yourself (DH has to wait outside while you are "prepped"), sit you up on the bed, and give you a few shots to numb you.  Then they give you a spinal, which felt, to me, like diving into an ice-cold pool.  It was very wierd.  Then they lay you down, and draw a curtain over your chest area.  (this part took about 20 minutes)

Then your DH comes in, and sits next to your head.  The Anesthesiologist is your best friend right now, be nice to him/her!!  Your Anesthesiologist will ask how you're feeling.  Be honest.  I started to feel like i was going to puke, and they gave me some more anti-nausea meds.  They told me they were startign the process, and I just made my DH talk to me (I asked him to tell me about our vacations that we have been on, to distract me, and it worked!)  (This took about 20 minutes)

Then you will meet your baby!!!!

Then they will sew you back up, and you won't even notice, because you and your DH are now freaking out and looking at this little miracle baby "omg we are parents!" It's wonderful.  Then it takes another 25-30 minutes to sew you back up.

After that, your baby might have to go into the NICU (i think it's fairly standard for c/s babies...?), my DD went in for about an hour to be monitored, DH went with her.  I was wheeled into the Post-Op room, they brought me some water, and I hung out there.  The nurse said I would be there for an hour, and I was actually there for about 4 hours (?) because I was bleeding more than normal, so they wanted to keep an eye on me.

Then you are wheeled into your recovery room.  They came in and took out my catheter about 12 hours after my surgery, and I was able to walk then.  My advice is to get up and walk as soon as they will let you.  I really think it helped with my recovery.

You will be very sore around your stomach.  You can't sit up on your own, or get out of bed on your own, for about 10 days after the surgery.  Once you're up you're fine and able to walk around, but bending over was really hard.

I was in the hospital for 4 full days after birth, but I think they kept us an extra day because DD and I were both having some minor issues for a few days.  I think 3 days is standard for a c/s, not sure.

Stay on top of your pain meds.  Set alarms to go off to help you take them in the middle of the night.  I had to take mine every 4 hours, and when I was home, I slept through my alarm, and woke up in excruciating pain.  Seriously, take your pain meds on time.

Make sure you have someone to help you at home.  Whether your DH, your Mom, a friend, whatever, you will need help even to get up off the couch, for the first 7 days at least.  You won't be able to do laundry, or drive.  I was high as hell from my medicine.

Oh, also, a c/s affects your milk coming in.  The average from people that I know, is their milk comes in around Day 5 after birth, but up until Day 8 is normal too.  Just keep trying to nurse, and if you have to give some small amounts of formula, don't freak out.  Talk to a Lactation Consultant ASAP and they can help you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm glad to help!  Don't be scared, it really will be fine.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is so great, thanks for sharing Jen. Glad to hear that you had a good experience and overcame your fear of having a c-section, I'm sure (I hope) I'll say the same thing when it's all said and done. The one good thing that comes of this is that it's nice to have a plan, and not have to worry or wonder what my birth will be like!

When you were in recovery for 4 hours, did you get to see DH/baby? That would be really hard I imagine, so I hope so Smile

And thanks for all the tips/advice on recovery, I'll definitely be staying on top of the pain meds. Were you able to breastfeed at all in the hospital? I'm completely fine with the formula option if we have to, and I was actually wondering how that will work if my milk isn't in right away.

Thanks again!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I ended up having one after 35 hours of labor, 2 hours of pushing, and Baby A crowning with the wrong part of her head.  Get up and walk around for short periods of time as soon as they give you the okay.  Stay on top of your pain meds (sometimes you have to remind the nurses it's time for meds when you're at the hospital), and limit stair climbing and lifting for as close to two weeks as possible (no cleaning, sweeping, etc.).  Our doulas said they saw moms hurt themselves when they tried to take on too much after the c-section thinking they were healed.

The babies rode with me from the OR to recovery, and they nursed right away.  We stayed in recovery for about an hour only because Baby B nursed a really long time.  My milk didn't really come in until we left the hospital, and we tried not to supplement, but we had to for a bit because Baby A had jaundice.  Don't feel pressured to do it because babies can hold out for a bit if they're healthy.

Also, have you looked into acupuncture to turn the baby?  It seems like with how much time you have left there could be a chance to turn.  Meaghan and Lindsay are twin moms who do acupuncture.  https://bloomnaturalhealthcare.com/practitioners/

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageenail5:

I ended up having one after 35 hours of labor, 2 hours of pushing, and Baby A crowning with the wrong part of her head.  Get up and walk around for short periods of time as soon as they give you the okay.  Stay on top of your pain meds (sometimes you have to remind the nurses it's time for meds when you're at the hospital), and limit stair climbing and lifting for as close to two weeks as possible (no cleaning, sweeping, etc.).  Our doulas said they saw moms hurt themselves when they tried to take on too much after the c-section thinking they were healed.

The babies rode with me from the OR to recovery, and they nursed right away.  We stayed in recovery for about an hour only because Baby B nursed a really long time.  My milk didn't really come in until we left the hospital, and we tried not to supplement, but we had to for a bit because Baby A had jaundice.  Don't feel pressured to do it because babies can hold out for a bit if they're healthy.

Also, have you looked into acupuncture to turn the baby?  It seems like with how much time you have left there could be a chance to turn.  Meaghan and Lindsay are twin moms who do acupuncture.  https://bloomnaturalhealthcare.com/practitioners/

Thanks for the info on feeding! My doctor did let me know about acupuncture, she said she's never seen it work personally but let me know I could try it if I wanted. Thanks for the reference, I'm going to give them a call. I do have two more weeks to try and get the baby turned, so it's worth a try!

Really appreciate the responses, this is great.

• I was in Post-Op for about an hour by myself, with just a nurse.  And the Dr was at his desk in the corner of the room, talking on the phone.  I was SO high from all the meds, that this part is a total blur to me.  DH was with DD in the NICU for the first hour or so, and then they both came into my room and were in there with me for the next 3 hours or so.  (It's not normal to be there that long, I lost a ton of blood right away, so they kept me there to monitor me.  They thought they were going to need to do a transfusion, but ended up not needing to.)

BFing was VERY important to me.  I knew that I was 100% committed going in, and would try anything possible to make it happen.  I put DD to my breast about 90 minutes atfer birth, and then about every 2 hours the first  few days.  I had colustrum only for 4 days.  I had to supplement with formula starting on Day 3(because my DD lost too much weight, and the Pedi said we needed to, I fought it very hard, but looking back, I'm very glad we listened to the Pedi and gave formula), and the way that I did this, was DH would squirt a little bit of formula onto my nipple, and DD would suck it.  This fooled DD into thinking that was how to get milk, and also told my boobs "hurry up and make some damn milk already!"  I highly reccomend talking to a Lactation Consultant on your 1st day in the hospital, having the nurses help you "find a latch", etc.  They are experts, ask them for help, they love to encourage BFing.  After Day 5 I didn't have to use any formula at all, but i would still use some occasionally just for convenience sake.

I was able to succesffully BF for 6 months until my milk dried up.  And have been doing formula since then.

• I had an emergency c-section due to pre-eclampsia.  It was scary only because my son was a preemie and I just wasn't expecting to have him so early.  My experience was similar to Jen's.  I was taken into the surgical room alone where they gave me the spinal block which felt like a little pinch, then they quickly helped me lay down as you start going numb almost immediately.  They draped me and pinched me up to my chest to make sure I was completely numb.  Your designated person is there with you at this point. The anesthesiologist hangs out by your head to make sure you don't feel any pain or discomfort, if you start to feel anything you shouldn't be they are prepared to put you out instantly.  During you feel a lot of pressure on your body as they go through the procedure but you don't feel any pain.  Because my son was a preemie this is where my experience was a bit different he went straight to the NICU and I didn't get to see him until I was out of recovery.  I was in recovery for an hour and my husband, my mom, and my dad were all allowed to visit me (I think this depends on the hospital though).  Then I was wheeled to my room. 

In the hospital it was definitely important to let the nurses know when you were in any pain and they'd bring you your pain meds if you stay on top of them it doesn't really hurt, by the time I left the hospital 4 days later (4 days is pretty typical for c-sections) my pain was easily controlled and I was off the pain pills very quickly. I didn't need any help getting up out of bed after the first day in the hospital or afterwards (this I assume can be different for everyone).  As others have said you need help for two weeks after, you're not supposed to strain yourself in any way and you're not allowed to drive. 

Knowing how it went I'm tempted to get a c-section again because I know what to expect and it wasn't bad.  However, I'm going to see how my pregnancy goes and see if the choice will be left up to me or not.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had a c/s and here was my experience:

I had been in labor over 24 hours and was not progressing because baby's head was not turned the right way. Finally, after many tears and some convincing, the doctor told me it really was in my best interest to get a c/s to avoid an infection in baby girl. As soon as I agreed, they gave DH a gown and gave me a cap and within 5 minutes I was in the OR. DH waits outside while they prep you. 

They lay you on the table in a "T" shape and if you have had an epidural they give you more of it and tilt the table so you are head down until it works its way to your belly. Then DH comes in. Then the nurse rubbed ice on my stomach to make sure I couldn't feel anything. They put up the curtain and started the process. I felt very nauseous so they gave me something in my IV to help. It only helped for a bit though. I did end up throwing up a little bit one time, but after that I felt perfect. Within about 15 min you will get to meet your new baby! All you will feel is alot of pressure as they pull the baby out. Then it takes about 30-40 minutes to stitch you back up. It goes by fast though. My baby had complications so she was in the NICU for 10 days (meconium aspiration), but that is not typical. I also was sick with a cold when I was admitted so I didn't get to see my baby at all for about 4 days, which was HORRIBLE! But, again not typical. And if you are feeling like you have a cold, don't tell them!

After surgery, you have to stay for at least 4 days. The day of birth is considered day 0. I stayed for 5 to be closer to my baby since she wasn't going to get to come home yet.

As others said before, keep your pain under control! Make sure to take it on time each time even if you feel ok because if the pain gets really bad it is hard to control it. The first time you sit up from the bed after the surgery is by far the hardest thing. It is very normal to have the shakes for a day or so afterward. They can give you something to help with it. As soon as you can get up to walk, do. The more you walk (slowly) the more your muscles loosen up and you are more comfortable. Don't jump into things too fast though as far as walking long distances, laundry, house work, etc. And don't try to lift anything heavier than your baby. It helps to have help during at least the first 3 or 4 weeks. Be sure to fill your pain prescription when you get home and if you end up finishing it but are still in pain (like I was) don't hesitate to ask for more. Of course I was walking through the hospital a lot after I went home to go to and from the NICU so I didn't get a whole lot of time to really rest. But each day you feel better and better and by the end of three weeks you will feel pretty close to normal again. You may have some discomfort when sitting up for up to a couple months afterward as your muscles strengthen themselves again, but it is very tolerable and short term pain. I was terrified to have a c/s but it wasn't as bad as I thought and before you know it your body is healed. I hope this helps! Good luck to you!!

• imagel_elizabeth:
    imageenail5:

I ended up having one after 35 hours of labor, 2 hours of pushing, and Baby A crowning with the wrong part of her head.  Get up and walk around for short periods of time as soon as they give you the okay.  Stay on top of your pain meds (sometimes you have to remind the nurses it's time for meds when you're at the hospital), and limit stair climbing and lifting for as close to two weeks as possible (no cleaning, sweeping, etc.).  Our doulas said they saw moms hurt themselves when they tried to take on too much after the c-section thinking they were healed.

Thanks for the info on feeding! My doctor did let me know about acupuncture, she said she's never seen it work personally but let me know I could try it if I wanted. Thanks for the reference, I'm going to give them a call. I do have two more weeks to try and get the baby turned, so it's worth a try!

Really appreciate the responses, this is great.

Hey there....just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.  I know someone personally that acupuncture worked for.  It is worth a try...you will be fine if you have a c/s but I am sure you would like to avoid it if possible.

Best of luck! 

• imageamyknjones:

My baby had complications so she was in the NICU for 10 days (meconium aspiration), but that is not typical. I also was sick with a cold when I was admitted so I didn't get to see my baby at all for about 4 days, which was HORRIBLE! But, again not typical. And if you are feeling like you have a cold, don't tell them!

Omg!  Please don't do this!  Coming from a mother who's child was in the NICU for 70 days due to prematurity do not under any circumstances lie about being sick to see your baby faster.  I understand wanting to see your child but you are putting them and every other child in that NICU (most of which are premature and all of which have immature immune systems) at risk by entering it when you are ill.  I developed a cold while my child was in the NICU and it was torture not to see him, but it wasn't worth it to me to put him or any other child in there at risk.  When my son was almost ready to leave the NICU he got exposed to someone elses illness because at that point he was in an open bed instead of an isolette and he had to be put back on a CPAP to help him breathe while he recovered and was put back in a closed isolette to regulate his temperature (this was terrfiying to DH and I).  Have someone take lots of digital pictures of your child and send your husband or grandparents in to visit if you are not well, but don't be irresponsible and put your child or anyone elses at risk.

• On another note, this is my advice to anyone having a c-section.  Bring comfy cheap cotton underwear, the mesh underwear that the hospital gives you kept getting caught on my incision staples and in my opinion weren't all that comfy.  My regular bikinis hit right where my incision was so they weren't comfortable.  I recommend getting a pack of cheap cotton hanes in a size larger than you normally wear so they'll fit up over your incision or buy the hideous briefs that'll come up over your belly.  Since I wasn't prepared for mine or knowing that I might want such, I had to send my poor dad to the store to get them for me and some lighter weight pads because the ones at my hospital were the huge diaper feeling ones.  So that's my tip I was so much more comfortable when I had comfy underwear and pads that didn't feel like they were there!
  • This makes me remember that there are different ways to stich the incision after.  I didn't have staples.  I had stiches and she did some kind of extra strong double layer stitch.  Really, I was exhausted after 2 days of labor and can't remember much more.   
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageenail5:
    This makes me remember that there are different ways to stich the incision after.  I didn't have staples.  I had stiches and she did some kind of extra strong double layer stitch.  Really, I was exhausted after 2 days of labor and can't remember much more.   

Really?  How nice, I remember feeling like Frankenstein until they took my staples out =)'  I had stitches under the staples.  Did they give you an option?

• imageenail5:
    This makes me remember that there are different ways to stich the incision after.  I didn't have staples.  I had stiches and she did some kind of extra strong double layer stitch.  Really, I was exhausted after 2 days of labor and can't remember much more.   
    Oh yeah, I didn't have staples either, only stitches. And I loved the mesh panties, but I do agree on the high waisted panties, to not irritate the incision. All of my pants hit my scar, so I pulled them up over my belly...didn't look very cute : )
  • Thank you, thank you so much to everyone who responded. I'm so glad to hear that everyone seemed to have a good experience, it helps calm my nerves Smile I feel ok and actually good about it now, though I think when the moment comes I might freak out (I'm glad to know I can tell the anesthesiologist if I'm nervous). And I went to Target last night and bought large, high waisted Hanes underwear, so I'll have that just in case. They are extremely sexy, lol.

Ok I think my last question, and realize this might sound dumb, but with all the pain meds I'll be on for the days following, can you breastfeed? I'm just so used to the pregnant rules of what you can/can't take right now, it seems weird you'd be able to take major pain meds and the baby would be fine to breastfeed?

Oh, and I'm going to try acupuncture to see if that works. Even if it doesn't, I loved the acupuncture I had years ago (so it can't hurt).

• Yes you are 100% fine to BF after a c/s. And yes you can drink alcohol, eat feta cheese, sushi, etc when BFing.
  • imageThe_Jen626:
    Yes you are 100% fine to BF after a c/s. And yes you can drink alcohol, eat feta cheese, sushi, etc when BFing.

Thanks- I knew it was probably an obvious question, but had to ask! Smile

• I didn't read the other responses either...

I had a c-section do to my baby being breech as well. I didn't find out until less than a week before my due date so was pretty nervous. Luckily my water broke about 2 days before my scheduled c-section so I didn't have to go through the fasting & real anticipation of surgery.

Everything happened pretty quickly once I got to the hospital so I don't remember everything exactly. I was more scared to get the epidural than anything & that was pretty easy. The actual surgery part was totally fine. You will feel some pulling that is uncomfortable while they are taking baby out, but it wasn't terrible. The nurses showed me my baby & then took him away to get cleaned up (DH went with him to the recovery room). They stiched me up & I got to see my LO about half hour later.

I think the worst part was a day or so later in the hospital. I got off schedule on my pain pills & it was awful. I remember crying for pretty much an entire afternoon! This was probably a lot to do with hormones. It hurt to move much & it was frustrating that I couldn't just jump out of bed & pick up my baby anytime I wanted. DH was at the hospital the entire time & pretty much did everything for DS, except nurse him.

The recovery was a little bit more than I expected. I was expecting to be one of those who felt great within a couple weeks but it wasn't the case. I didn't feel back to normal until at least 6 weeks pp...but really closer to 8. I wasn't really able to do any excercising (did not feel up to it) until after 8 weeks. That part was frustrating...but it forced me to relax, take it easy, & enjoy my baby.

If you have family that are wanting to help you take them up on it. You will be glad you did IMO!

Good luck...it won't be as bad as you are expecting!

• imagesleepyocean:
    imageamyknjones:

My baby had complications so she was in the NICU for 10 days (meconium aspiration), but that is not typical. I also was sick with a cold when I was admitted so I didn't get to see my baby at all for about 4 days, which was HORRIBLE! But, again not typical. And if you are feeling like you have a cold, don't tell them!

Omg!  Please don't do this!  Coming from a mother who's child was in the NICU for 70 days due to prematurity do not under any circumstances lie about being sick to see your baby faster.  I understand wanting to see your child but you are putting them and every other child in that NICU (most of which are premature and all of which have immature immune systems) at risk by entering it when you are ill.  I developed a cold while my child was in the NICU and it was torture not to see him, but it wasn't worth it to me to put him or any other child in there at risk.  When my son was almost ready to leave the NICU he got exposed to someone elses illness because at that point he was in an open bed instead of an isolette and he had to be put back on a CPAP to help him breathe while he recovered and was put back in a closed isolette to regulate his temperature (this was terrfiying to DH and I).  Have someone take lots of digital pictures of your child and send your husband or grandparents in to visit if you are not well, but don't be irresponsible and put your child or anyone elses at risk.

I definitely don't mean to go in when you're sick! I waited until I was symptom free for 48 hours before I went in. I am only saying that it makes things more complicated if you tell them you are sick, because of the swine flu scares. I definitely agree to be responsible about it. I didn't want to put anyone else's baby in harm either which is why, though it was hard, I didn't go in to see her. I am sorry the way I wrote that sounded bad. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"