Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

I've been mixing the formula wrong!

I have been filling the scoop halfway, tapping it, then filling the rest and leveling it off. I didn't realize this was packing it! I was thinking packing the scoop would be like when you pack brown sugar. I feel horrible!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I've been mixing the formula wrong!

• Options

Eh. Your okay, as long as LO hasn't been getting sick, would be my opinion. Just make it right from now on. I think LO's grandma mixed a premeasured 4oz with 2 oz of water the other day!! LO is breastfed, but grandma thought she might have been hungry. I keep formula in the bag. Don't beat yourself up. Read the post "Has anyone ever heard of this?" It will make you feel better.

• Options
    What? J gets one soy milk bottle a day and I usually scoop, tap and level. I had the same concept as you, as long as I wasn't pushing down then I wasn't packing it! I do have to say, I've been doing this for 6 weeks and it hasn't bothered him yet, but then again, he only takes the one bottle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How did you find out that was considered packing?

I don't fill half way and tap, but I do fill all the way, tap and add more if necessary, like pp I assumed packing was pushing it down in the scoop like you would pack brown sugar.

My LO is doing fine.
  • Options

imagetrickeytricky:
    How did you find out that was considered packing?

I don't fill half way and tap, but I do fill all the way, tap and add more if necessary, like pp I assumed packing was pushing it down in the scoop like you would pack brown sugar.

My LO is doing fine.

There is a post a few pages back that asks about it.

• Options
    If I take one big scoop and level it, there's usually a big empty space in the scoop, so I usually fill the scoop by scooping two or three times, then leveling off.  I'm not tapping or pushing it down...  is that packing?  Now you have me paranoid!
    bishes be crazy
  • Options

I totally thought you were going to say you'd been mixing it with whole milk and didn't know that was wrong until you read the post below, lol.  A tiny bit of packing isn't so bad!

And I've never mixed any formula in my life, but I have done a lot of baking and competition baking.  Tapping a measuring cup on the counter when you're measuring flour is considered packing and is a no no.  So, it makes sense that it would be the same with formula.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagesusanlovestexas:

I totally thought you were going to say you'd been mixing it with whole milk and didn't know that was wrong until you read the post below, lol.  A tiny bit of packing isn't so bad!

And I've never mixed any formula in my life, but I have done a lot of baking and competition baking.  Tapping a measuring cup on the counter when you're measuring flour is considered packing and is a no no.  So, it makes sense that it would be the same with formula.

LOL about the whole milk! Thank you for clearing it up!

• Options
    imageamandopolis:
    If I take one big scoop and level it, there's usually a big empty space in the scoop, so I usually fill the scoop by scooping two or three times, then leveling off.  I'm not tapping or pushing it down...  is that packing?  Now you have me paranoid!

I do this most of the time too, if I tap, it's just to fill that empty space in the scoop. . . I don't consider it packing.
  • Options
    CBLCBL member
    We use Enfamil GentleEase and it gets big gaps in the scoop.  I called the 800 # and they told me to tap it against the side of the can. 
  • Options

Too much powder in the powder/water milk can cause constipation. As long as LO is pooping, you're OK, but now you know! Smile

I caught DH using HEAPING scoop fulls when she was 2 weeks old and I almost had a heart attack but DD was fine, lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"