Multiples
Options

Did/do you eat sushi while nursing?

I have been CRAVING my favorite sushi roll (which has raw tuna) for the entire duration of this pregnancy. I have one week left and would love to get it, but I plan on nursing.  Do you think it's out of the question, common sense wise? Or would you take the chance one time?

Re: Did/do you eat sushi while nursing?

• Options
    I wouldn't do it. When I nursed DD I was super cautious though so some may think it is fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm still pregnant and not nursing, but I would try to limit sushi when nursing.  I would definitely avoid high mercury fish like mackerel and unfortunately, tuna.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am going to be the bad one here and say go for it.  I would think it's better to eat it now then after LO(s) are born.

• Options

one sushi roll is not going to do damage to anyone. The real risk while pg is not mercury - it's bacteria- but if you go to a reputable sushi place you should be fine.  Japanese people eat sushi while pg all the time.

I didn't eat anything raw- b/c I just didn't NEED it that much - but I did often eat other cooked rolls - craved those like crazy.

if you are comfortable with it- then that's what matters. 

• Options
    kegkeg member
    I'm quite sure I ate sushi while I was nursing so I say go for it! 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

i wouldnt eat sushi for every meal but if i wanted sushi, i would certainly go eat sushi (actually, the only thing stopping me is the 2 babies i have at home - not the fact i am nursing them)

everything in moderation...i also have a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine on the weekends.  my babies are striving.

• Options
    I would normally say go for it, but something happened to me this pregnancy that gives me pause..... I bought some deli meat from Costco (I had guests coming and I thought, a little deli meat isn't going to hurt me!) and I ate it several times.  Then I got a letter from Costco saying the meat was being recalled because it was contaminated with salmonella.  OMG.  After that, I said to heck with it, I'm going to follow all the advice to avoid this and that because taking a chance just isn't worth it to me.  The chance that the raw tuna is contaminated with bacteria is miniscule - but so was the chance with deli meat and I nearly got burned on it. 
    TTC Since 2007 M/C survivor twice in 2008 IVF twice at CCRM in 2009 TWIN BOYS born in July 2010 IVF again in 2011 BABY GIRL due August 2012
  • Options

I've asked a number of lactation consultants the broad question of "is there anything I need to be doing differently with my diet" and not a single one said anything other than making sure I was drinking enough water and eating a balanced and sensible diet. 

I went for sushi last night and didn't give it a second guess. 

• Options

i can totally relate!  but for me it wasn't worth the risk.  like gail (goldie) said japanese people eat sushi.  but i wondered if women in japan have built up a tolerance to something that might make me sick.  idk if that is possible... but that was my reasoning :)

anyway i got my fix with a california roll and the traditional side salad with giner dressing.  it really helped.  if you don't want to have the raw tuna maybe they can make your roll with shrimp, or crab.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagejanjag:
    anyway i got my fix with a california roll and the traditional side salad with giner dressing.  it really helped.  if you don't want to have the raw tuna maybe they can make your roll with shrimp, or crab.
    This is me too.  I just had a California roll this weekend, and it was sooo good.
  • Options

The MINUTE I was cleared to eat after my c-section I had my best friend pick up sushi and bring it to me in the hospital. It tasted fantastic.

You can absolutely eat sushi while nursing, along with anything else (even beer! My OB actually recommended it for milk production although I think that's a myth).  

You may want to avoid eating lots and lots of sushi from large cold water fishes like tuna more than 2-3x a week simply for your OWN health. You'd have to eat a lot of sushi (like pounds!) for any significant amount of mercury to get into your breastmilk.

• Options
    my first meal once these kids are born will be sushi and champagne. i'd watch the tuna for your own health, mercury, but i don't see anything wrong with eating sushi and deli meat once the babies are born and you're nursing...but i'm not a doc so you might want to get the thumbs up from your ob or ped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"