Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

I need help with weaning from pumping/bfing

I am down to just pumping now--1 time a day at night---and I've decided after 19 months to let it go.  I've only been getting 2-3 oz for a while now and it's not increasing no matter what I do.  You'd think with just this little amount I wouldn't have woken up engorged this morning--but after not pumping for the first time last night, I did.  OUCH!

I couldn't take it---I tried just expressing by hand but that wasn't enough so pumped just enough to get relief.  Then tonight in the shower I expressed by hand and skipped the pumping--but I can already feel them filling.  I know by morning I'll be hurting.

I think I might be doing this all wrong...any tips???

Should I just keep pumping and going down a minute or so day by day?? 

Re: I need help with weaning from pumping/bfing

• Options

it will take a few days...I would say only pump for a little bit if you need the relief. I also did the cabbage leaves in my bra...I think that helped. After a couple days, you should be fine hand expressing.

good luck! 

• Options
    I would just pump as needed when you feel yourself getting full - but do not completely empty yourself.  You will notice that these pumps sessions will gradually space themselves out.  At some point, you will just not need to pump anymore.  It just takes a little time and some patience.  GL!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You should shorten the pumping times each night over a week or two if you're having engorgement problems. I've also heard cabbage leaves help - put cabbage leaves in your bra when you go to bed. It sounds strange, but several friends have told me that it really helps!
  • Options
    Yeah, just shorten the amount of time you're pumping.  Sudafed (or other decongestent) helps dry you up, too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"