Infertility
Options

IVF: Embryo development from ER to day 3 or 5?

I had my ER on saturday.  It went smoothly other than some soreness around my belly region.  They retrieved 15 eggs of which 8 was mature (as expected from my d8 scan). 

Out of the 8 eggs, 5 fertilized and as of today (2 days post ER), 4 have divided into 4 cells and are rated above average whereas #5 is dividing abnormally (rated poor) and will not make it.  We are likely to aim for d5 transfer based on the number of embryos but will need to keep observing as we are likely to lose 1 more by then. 

My question is: from your experience, how many fertilized eggs made it to day 3 and of the ones that made it to day 3, how many makes it to day 5?  I ready somewhere that 25 - 60% of fertilized eggs make it to day 5.

We're praying that we'll transfer this cycle but hoping my lining will coorperate (it was too thick but seems to be thinning once I stopped stimming).

Thanks in advance.

Re: IVF: Embryo development from ER to day 3 or 5?

• Options
    I had 18 eggs retrieved - only 7 mature (my RE triggered me early due to his fear of OHSS in my case); 5 fertilized - only 4 normally. I was very disappointed with my initial fert report. But, my embabies continued to do well & ALL 4 made it to a 5dt transfer!!! We transferred the best two - the other two didn't make it to freeze unfortunately. HTH & GL!
  • Options

I don't know about percentages but I can tell you my experience.  We had 12 eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized.  Still had 8 at day 3 and decided to transfer the best 4 due to age (39 at the time).  3 made it to day 5 and were frozen.

GL to you!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

IVF# 1 I had 3 eggs -->> 3 embies -->>3 dt

IVF#2 I had 7 eggs -->>7 embies -->> 7 made it to 5dt (transferred 3, had a singleton)

we had a very rare 100% fert rate

Best of luck to you!

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I had 26 eggs retrieved,  of those i ended up with 16 embryos on day 3.....on day 5 I had 2 blasts that were ready to transfer and a few more they were watching....on day 6  they froze three more blasts.....i've heard many people say so long as they have 4 or more embryos they'll push to a day 5....and day 5 do have higher success rates...so good luck!
    1 chemical and 1 loss at 9 weeks prior to DS
    IVF #1 1/10-transfered 2 blasts- DS born 10/2010

Trying for # 2 since 2012.  2 failed FETS 1 failed IUI.
    IUI#2 4/14/14-- BFP !!!!! Beta #1 14dpiui= 45 Beta #2 16dpiui= 80  Beta #3 18dpiui= 88 (chemical pregnancy)
    March 2015- Chemical pg

1/25/16- BFP  Beta1 12dpo = 17, Beta 2 14 dpo = 28.. resulted in one beautiful boy born 9/21/16 :)

Now I'm a stay at home loving life and pursuing my love of photography!!!
  • Options
    I don't know percentages but here is my experience. We retrieved 23 eggs, 21 fertilized and we had 9 make it to the 5 day transfer.  We transferred 2 so we were left with 7 to freeze. GL!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options
    LCB34LCB34 member

I have a problem with my embryos crapping out on day 4.  So, my RE likes to push me to day 5 just to be sure we pick a good one or two to put back.  Here are my stats:

IVF #1 - 4 retrieved and mature, 4 fertilized normally, all 4 made it to day 3.  One crapped out on day 4.  3 made it to day 5 blasts - we put two back and froze one.

IVF #2 - 7 retrieved all mature, 5 fertilized normally.  All 5 made it to day 3 looking "perfect" but 3 crapped out on day 4.  We put the only two remaining embryos back on day 5.

Good luck!

• Options

My experience was that Day 4 and 5 will decrease the # you have on Day 3, because it weeds out the weakest ones.  But everyone is different. =)  Here was my cycle in a nutshell:  I had 23 eggs retrieved, 18 of which were mature.  15 fertilized, 12 made it to Day 3, but only 6 made it to Day 5.  We transferred 2, and froze 4.

GL to you!

After 3 years, 3 losses, and 3 IVF's, our little girls have arrived! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Zoo
  • Options

Thanks guys.  Just came back from the Dr and we're aiming for 5dt (fingers crossed).

Fert report update: Of the original 5 that fertilized, we're down to 3 today (day 3) - 2 at 8 cells and 1 at 9 cells.  #4 didn't divide last night (still 4 cells) and appears to be compacting back to 2 cells and #5 basically stopped growing at 2 cells.  So we're at the rate of one crapping out every day.

We're hoping that we'll have at least 2 remaining by day 5 for the transfer. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"