1st Trimester
Options

Water substitute?

I know there ISN'T a substitute to drinking water, but is there anything I can drink that is close to water? Water, even when not PG, gives me heartburn. So, I am not a water drinker. I know it's the best thing to drink, so I need to, so I am looking for a substitute.

And I am sitting here laughing so freaking hard. It took me so long to type this post in a way that I would not sound like an idiot, and I STILL sound like one, LMAO!! I already totally have pregnancy brain. Sheesh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Water substitute?

• Options
    Gatorade, decaf tea, juice (in moderation). You can also eat fruits that are high in water content like watermelon.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options

Wow, I've never heard of anyone getting heartburn from water. I have to put lime juice in mine in order to drink it. Just plain water does not entice me. Or, I'll throw some frozen berries in my water bottle, which gives it some flavor w/o adding sugar. I wonder if the fruit would contribute to or help your heartburn.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Watermelon gives me heartburn too. : (   Which is a bummer, b/c I LOVE watermelon.

I do really like the Diet Lipton Green tea with citrus. And I don't think it has any artificial crap in it......

• Options

So do you drink any water during the day? If so how much do you drink during the day? I mean there really is not a substitute for water.

I do get that some people just don't like water but so much of our bodies are made up of it that I can't imagine not wanting to drink it. However, I have heard of people doing Crystal Light or other mixers with it. Crystal Light does contain artificial sweeteners so I probably would not be comfortable drinking it every day. 

• Options
    imageKMS416:

Wow, I've never heard of anyone getting heartburn from water. I have to put lime juice in mine in order to drink it. Just plain water does not entice me. Or, I'll throw some frozen berries in my water bottle, which gives it some flavor w/o adding sugar. I wonder if the fruit would contribute to or help your heartburn.

I know. It's totally weird. My mom is the same way.

• Options
    imagehotbride111:

So do you drink any water during the day? If so how much do you drink during the day? I mean there really is not a substitute for water.

I do get that some people just don't like water but so much of our bodies are made up of it that I can't imagine not wanting to drink it. However, I have heard of people doing Crystal Light or other mixers with it. Crystal Light does contain artificial sweeteners so I probably would not be comfortable drinking it every day. 

To be completely honest, I don't drink water. At all. I haven't had a glass of water in ages b/c I get such nasty heartburn.

• Options
    imageNMDA:

Watermelon gives me heartburn too. : (   Which is a bummer, b/c I LOVE watermelon.

I do really like the Diet Lipton Green tea with citrus. And I don't think it has any artificial crap in it......

Diet lipton tea has artificial sweetener (aspartame) in it. Also, some people will say you should avoid green tea while pregnant, but I think it's controversial.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    imagehomebird:
    imageNMDA:

Diet lipton tea has artificial sweetener (aspartame) in it. Also, some people will say you should avoid green tea while pregnant, but I think it's controversial.

Hmmmmmm...... That sucks. ; )   Thanks for the info!!!!

Water causing heartburn is actually not that uncommon. If you google it (I just did, lol) there are a lot of people out there that it happens to. Nice to know I am not a complete freak!

• Options
    I actually get heartburn from too much water also!!! I drink Propel. I don't know if you've heard of it. It's sort of like Gatorade minus the fake color and tons of sugar and carbs! They sell it pre-bottled or in the powdered drink sticks. Also, I drink the V8 Splash tropical. Compared to most juices it is low sugar! Hope that helps!
    BabyFetus TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options

imageitaliangal1033:
    I actually get heartburn from too much water also!!! I drink Propel. I don't know if you've heard of it. It's sort of like Gatorade minus the fake color and tons of sugar and carbs! They sell it pre-bottled or in the powdered drink sticks. Also, I drink the V8 Splash tropical. Compared to most juices it is low sugar! Hope that helps!

doesn't propel have artificial sweeteners in it too?

• Options
    imagexheartunbrokenx:

imageitaliangal1033:

Nope it's sucrose Big Smile

BabyFetus TickerLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimage
  • Options

imageitaliangal1033:

No kidding?! I acutally drank Propel all through my last pregnancy. I drank A LOT of it. I might just have to back to that.

As for Propel having a lot of AS, I'm not sure, but I am definitely going to checkit out.

• Options
    Crystal Light.
  • Options
    I drink crystal light or water with lemon.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Vitamin Water may be a good thing to try. I don't care for flavored water but it is pretty tolerable. I have heard of women on here putting cucumbers, lemons and fruit in their water.

I drink a lot of water but have wanted something else from time to time so I have been drinking Capri Sun every now and then. It definitely isn't a water substitute but something other to drink besides water that doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it. Although, I am sure it has it's fair share of regular sugar so I have it in moderation.

• Options
    Thanks so MUCH everyone!!
  • Options
    imageitaliangal1033:
    imagexheartunbrokenx:

imageitaliangal1033:

Nope it's sucrose Big Smile

Actually, Propel contains sucrose AND sucralose which is an artificial sweetener.  I was jsut looking at it a few days ago.

https://pepsiproductfacts.com/infobyproduct.php?brand_fam_id=1052&brand_id=1000&product=Propel+-+Berry&prod_size=20

• Options
    How about mixing a crystal lite packet or something similar in it? Or is it anything with the base ingredient being water?
  • Options

Careful with the Crystal light it actually has a LOT of acid in it.  I am just like you and get heartburn from just about everything and crystal light actually upgraded my heartburn to an all out ulcer.

If you get heartburn that easily there really isn't anything you can drink that will not cause heartburn.  Try drinking Fiji water with just a splash of lemon or lime or berries for flavor.  Something about Fiji water, at least for me, is less heartburn inducing.  The other thing I do is try to keep triscuts or wheat thins around to munch on as they help make you thirsty for the water and provide your stomach with something to absorb the acid.  Good luck!

Lucy
    Little Lucy Bird Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

What about just taking a zantac and still drinking water?  Zantac is safe during pregnancy.  You need to drink water.  Dehydration can cause preterm labor - I was in the hospital twice with dehydration when I was pregnant with DS and it was causing preterm labor (as in, 23 weeks and 27 weeks.)  After the first time, I upped my water intake, but we also moved to Texas in the dead of summer and it wasn't enough.... after the second time, I upped my water intake even more and drank one of those giant gatorade things throughout the course of two days, per doctors orders.  

You NEED water to help protect your baby.

• Options

Do you like apple juice?

I get the low sugar 100% concentrate kind and mix half water half juice.   I drink lots of water, but I do this maybe once or twice a day for something different.  

• Options
    According to my doctor you don't have to drink plain water.  I drink decaf tea, juice, water w/ crystal lite.  Water makes me nauseous when I drink it alone so I have to find alternatives right now.  Vitamin water is also good, but you have to drink it in moderation because an overdose of some vitamins is unhealthy for you and baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a huge water drinker and have never had a problem with it at all.  Something to try is watering down the juices that you drink.  I drink 100% apple juice and fill the glass with half juice and half water.  That way it still tastes like juice but has a ton of water in it too.  Try and stick to the 100% juices and not the drinks or cocktails because those are all sugars.
  • Options

Water tasted really nasty to me until recently. I ate a lot of apples and oranges and that really helped with the thirst.

Natural M/C-> 10/21/09

2011 Reading Challenge

2011 Reading Challenge
    Adrienne has read 16 books toward her goal of 80 books.
    hide
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"